Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > New Orleans

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn (caitlynkelleher) | 4 comments Good evening,

I am new to posting and if I have put this in the wrong place I apologize. But I am getting ready for a trip to New Orleans and I know the city has an incrediable history. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about good historical fiction set in or around the area.
Caitlyn

message 2: by M. Louisa (new)

M. Louisa Locke (mlouisalocke) | 4 comments The Benjamin January series by Barbara Hambly is set in New Orleans in early 1800s, this is an excellent historical mystery series, the first of the series is A Free Man of Color. This would be a good place to start.

message 3: by Maude (new)

Maude | 832 comments Letters from New Orleans, by Rob Walker
Madame Vieux Carre: The French Quarter in the 20th Century
The World that Made Orleans: From Spanish Silver to Congo Square, by Neb Sublette
A Walk on the Wild Side, by Nelson Algren
The Moviegoer, by Walker Percy.
I haven't read these but think they would be good.

message 4: by Teralyn (new)

Teralyn Pilgrim | 41 comments I'm sad there aren't more recommendations! I want to read about N.O. too. I may just be ignorant, but it seems there aren't enough books about N.O. in the world.

message 5: by Cheryl A (last edited Jun 27, 2011 10:33PM) (new)

Cheryl A | 961 comments David Fulmer has a mystery series set in NO in the early 1900's.

Also, a bit on the cheesy side, but I loved it when I was young - Ashes in the Wind

message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I'm not sure how much of this is historical fiction, but it lists literature set in New Orleans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orle...

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori Baldi | -44 comments Years ago I read a book by Alexandra Ripley -- New Orleans Legacy which I remember fondly. Ripley is famous for the sequel to Gone with the Wind, of course but my favorites by her are actually set in Charleston. But New Orleans Legacy was pretty good, too.

message 8: by Teralyn (new)

Teralyn Pilgrim | 41 comments Wow, Janice. That's a lot of books. Question answered.

I want to read A Density of Souls just because of the name. That's flippin' awesome.

I don't have any recommendations, but I do suggest that you do NOT read Voodoo Dreams. It may very well be a good book, but it's not about Marie Laveau; it's about a random woman who happens to be named Mare Laveau.

message 9: by DeAnna (new)

DeAnna I definitely second Barbara Hambly's Benjamin January series

For lots of mood and atmosphere, there's also the Anne Rice Vampire and Witches novels. Many are set in New Orleans. If you aren't into paranormals, her Feast of All Saints is a wonderful historical novel based on the lives of people of color in New Orleans. In all her novels, you really feel her love for the city in her words.

I also enjoyed Francine Prose's Marie Laveau novel.

message 10: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (slkenn79) | 80 comments Lori wrote: "Years ago I read a book by Alexandra Ripley -- New Orleans Legacy which I remember fondly. Ripley is famous for the sequel to Gone with the Wind, of course but my favorites by her are..."

Love Alexandra Ripley! I second these recommendations.

message 11: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (harshmallow) | 403 comments Yellow Jack: A Novel by Josh Russell

I haven't read it but I own a copy and intend to pick it up soon! It takes place in New Orleans during the Yellow Fever breakout.

message 12: by Camille (new)

Camille (camillesbookishadventures) I know this is an old post, but I recently read Southern Ruby. Part of it is set in 1950s New Orleans.

message 13: by Tammy (new)

Tammy New Orleans Legacy by Alexandra Ripley is an oldie but goodie

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (longlivelibraries) | 146 comments I read Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys recently and could not put it down. She really captured the gritty atmosphere of 1950s New Orleans.