The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > 25.3. Mrs. Soule's Task: A Better World

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sandy (last edited Feb 27, 2011 06:14PM) (new)

Sandy | 15690 comments Mod
25.3. Mrs. Soule's Task: A Better World

I’ve been participating in the Seasonal Reading Challenge for a year now, and out of the dozens of books we’ve read, my favorites are the fiction and non-fiction about people who dedicate themselves to serving others and improving life for everyone. My inspiration for this task is those who see life as a mission and I hope it inspires you to find (or keep on with!) your own life calling!

The following definitions of “better world” professions are summarized from 150 Best Jobs for a Better World by Laurence Shatkin:

• Improving health – doctors, nurses, therapists
• Improving safety – crime-fighters, fire-fighters, military
• Improving social order and well-being – spiritual leaders, counselors, social workers
• Increasing knowledge – teachers, scientists
• Protecting the natural environment – ecologists, environmental activists

For this challenge, you will read two books.

Book A. Read a fiction title where a main character works in one of these areas.

Book B. Read a non-fiction title about one of these areas. This can include a biography of someone working in these areas.

If the profession of a character in a novel or subject matter of a non-fiction title is not apparent in the Goodreads description of either book, please note the information when you post your completed task.

message 2: by Mrs.soule (last edited Feb 28, 2011 04:50PM) (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Clarifications:

Books A & B do not have to come from the same area, but they can if you like!

I'm going to accept books on politics for this challenge as long as they're "non-inflammatory". In other words, I'll accept books from any political view point as long as they're truly an exploration in ways to "improve social order and well-being", rather than a verbal evisceration of any and all opponents.

Nutshell version:
Political dreams & plans = yes!
Political attacks = no!

message 3: by Mrs.soule (last edited Mar 03, 2011 05:45PM) (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) I intentionally made this task broad so it could be enjoyable for everyone and I didn't want to limit anyone to my own idea of enlightening reading material.

That said, there are definitely some books people have chosen for the non-fiction selection that are EXACTLY what I was hoping people would read, so if you're still searching for a good book to fit this task, try the following (pulled from this task board & the Reading Plans board):

The Freedom Writers Diary
Teacher Man
Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide
Living Like Ed: One Man's Guide to Living an Environmentally Friendly Life
Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time
The Wild Trees: A Story of Passion and Daring
Crossing the Yard: Thirty Years as a Prison Volunteer
Little Princes: One Man's Promise to Bring Home the Lost Children of Nepal

message 4: by Sandy (new)

Reserved

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments not sure what i'm going to do for A yet, but would 11 Days in December: Christmas at the Bulge, 1944 work for B - its a non-fiction about the Battle of the Bulge durnig WW2- so military

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments Do A and B have to be from the same areas or can they be different?

message 8: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments not sure for A yet, but would The Freedom Writers Diary work for part B? thanks for your help! :)

message 9: by Christine US (new)

Christine US (christineus) | 572 comments If anyone is looking for a good book for the medical professional area, My Name is Mary Sutter is spectacular

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments I totally agree with Mary Sutter - I read it for one of the first challenges I did her and loved it!

message 11: by Bea (last edited Feb 27, 2011 09:29PM) (new)

Bea | 3874 comments Would Midwives work for the health group?

message 12: by Sandie (new)

Sandie (chocdrop) | 214 comments Would A Beautiful Mind work for B - Increasing knowledge?

message 13: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments Librarians for increasing knowledge?

message 15: by Erin (NY) (new)

Erin (NY) (erin_p) | 629 comments I am thinking of reading Teacher Man by Frank McCourt for part B. Would that work?

Also, looking for some novels fiction part, with teachers. Anyone have any great recs?

message 16: by Amanda (last edited Feb 28, 2011 11:00AM) (new)

Amanda (amandapearl) | 273 comments For part A can I read Eulalia!? It's about a young girl going on an adventure to find a hero to rescue the badger stronghold Salamandastron as well as Redwall Abby.

For part B would The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living by Dalai Lama XIV work? This would be for improving social order and well-being and I think it would work but I wanted to check.

message 18: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 33 comments Would Intuition work for A?

message 20: by Lahni (new)

Lahni | 314 comments How about The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream for improving the social order?

message 21: by Christina (new)

Christina (stinalynne04) What about a veterinarian? The Choice

message 23: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Beth, A & B can be from different areas or the same area - your pick!

message 24: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Gayla wrote: "Would Simon Wiesenthal: The Life and Legends or The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer work for part B?"

Gayla, both books look good!

message 25: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) kiki wrote: "not sure for A yet, but would The Freedom Writers Diary work for part B? thanks for your help! :)"

Hi kiki! The Freedom Writers Diary is SO perfect!!

message 26: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Bea wrote: "Would Midwives work for the health group?"

Bea, Midwives looks good for Part A. Enjoy!

message 27: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Bea wrote: "For B, would any of these work?

therapists: Many Lives, Many Masters: Messages from the Masters, Doctor 117641: A Holocaust Memoir, [book:Dreaming with an AIDS Patie..."

Bea, based on their descriptions I think all these books would work.

message 28: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Sandie wrote: "Would A Beautiful Mind work for B - Increasing knowledge?"

Sandie, yes, A Beautiful Mind works fine.

message 29: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Karen wrote: "Librarians for increasing knowledge?"

As a former librarian, I strongly agree! :-)

message 30: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Erin (NY) wrote: "I am thinking of reading Teacher Man by Frank McCourt for part B. Would that work?

Also, looking for some novels fiction part, with teachers. Anyone have any great recs?"

Erin, Teacher Man is perfect for this challenge.

message 31: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Amanda wrote: "For part A can I read Eulalia!? It's about a young girl going on an adventure to find a hero to rescue the badger stronghold Salamandastron as well as Redwall Abby.

For part B ..."

Amanda, The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living works perfectly for Part B.

As for Eulalia!, while I'm all for working fantasy and sci-fi into this challenge, I can't tell from the book's description how the main character fits one of the "better world" professions. Unless you can explain how it fits, I'm going to say no to that one.

message 32: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Chinook wrote: "Would Intuition work for A?"

Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide is so perfect for this! I'm adding this to my own to-read list.

Intuition works great as well. Have fun!

message 33: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Michelle wrote: "Would 32 Third Graders and One Class Bunny: Life Lessons from Teaching work for part B?"

Michelle, sounds great!

message 34: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 104 comments Mrs.soule wrote: "Chinook wrote: "Would Intuition work for A?"

Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide is so perfect for this! I'm adding this to my own t..."

Sweet! I have to readHalf the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide for class! :)

Would memoirs be considered nonfiction, such as The Legacy of Luna: The Story of a Tree, a Woman and the Struggle to Save the Redwoods?

message 35: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Lahni wrote: "How about The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream for improving the social order?"

Yes, I'm going to accept books on politics for this challenge as long as they're non-inflammatory. In other words, I'll accept books from any political view point as long as they're truly an exploration in ways to "improve social order and well-being", rather than a verbal evisceration of any and all opponents.

Nutshell version:
Political dreams & plans = yes!
Political attacks = no!

message 36: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Christina wrote: "What about a veterinarian? The Choice"

Christina, vets work!

message 37: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Maggie wrote: "For B. would In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto work?"

Maggie, from what I've heard of this book, it could fit both "improving health" and "improving the natural environment" so it works great.

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments would you count an ICE agent for improving safety - Zack

message 39: by kiki (new)

kiki (keekers) | 821 comments Mrs.soule wrote: "kiki wrote: "not sure for A yet, but would The Freedom Writers Diary work for part B? thanks for your help! :)"

Hi kiki! The Freedom Writers Diary is SO perfect!!"

yeay, thanks! :)

message 40: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "not sure what i'm going to do for A yet, but would 11 Days in December: Christmas at the Bulge, 1944 work for B - its a non-fiction about the Battle of the Bulge durnig WW2- so military"

Delicious Dee, 11 Days in December: Christmas at the Bulge, 1944 sounds good!

message 41: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments yeah - I grabbed it at the holocaust museum earlier this year when my sister was here and it fits my around the world challenge that i'm doing.

Mrs.soule wrote: "Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "not sure what i'm going to do for A yet, but would 11 Days in December: Christmas at the Bulge, 1944 work for B - its a non-fiction about the Ba..."

message 42: by Sandy (new)

Mrs.soule wrote: "Chinook wrote: "Would Intuition work for A?"

Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide is so perfect for this! I'm adding this to my own t..."

It's a really good book!

message 43: by Mrs.soule (last edited Feb 28, 2011 05:51PM) (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "would you count an ICE agent for improving safety - Zack"

Immigration and Custums Enforcement (had to look at the book description to figure out what that was!) - yes, I think that could fall under "improving safety."

message 44: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments ohh whoops...I forget because I use acronym's every day that not everyone knows what that is

message 45: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) ♥Meagan♥ wrote: "Mrs.soule wrote: "Chinook wrote: "Would Intuition work for A?"

Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide is so perfect for this! I'm adding ..."

Meagan, it depends on how the memoir is written - The Legacy of Luna: The Story of a Tree, a Woman and the Struggle to Save the Redwoods looks like non-fiction based on the description and so would work for Part B. If it's a fictionalized account of something that really happened - like Schindler's List (teehee, thanks Sandy the Moderator!) - it would work for Part A.

message 46: by Mrs.soule (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Delicious Dee Challenge Addict wrote: "ohh whoops...I forget because I use acronym's every day that not everyone knows what that is"

LOL, no problem - I'm smarter now! :-)

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments I can throw some more out there if you want...I work with all the alphabet soup agencies - FBI, CIA, DHS, DEA, NCIS (me!), CID...haha!

message 48: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments The books I have chosen are Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI this one is a nonfiction story about a FBI agent that hunted serial killers

and

I,Q Main Characters working with the secret service.

Will these both be ok.

message 49: by Mrs.soule (last edited Feb 28, 2011 06:41PM) (new)

Mrs.soule (mrssoule) Jenn Renee wrote: "The books I have chosen are Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI this one is a nonfiction story about a FBI agent that hunted serial killers
..."

Jenn Renee, Whoever Fights Monsters works great, but I'm not sure about I,Q. Just from the book description it sounds like the main characters are actually musicians who are around the secret service. I've never read any of the series though, so if one of the MAIN characters is an agent or ends up becoming an agent, then it's fine.

message 50: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10897 comments Mod
I think these will work, but I'm not sure. Would Murder Past Due work for A? The main character is a librarian -- going with the increasing knowledge profession.

And would Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life work for B under protecting the natural environment or improving health? It's about eating locally grown food to reduce your carbon footprint and improve nutrition.

« previous 1 3