Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Dramas > The Social Network

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael I can't let the Oscars come and go without seeing at least one nominated movie so I watched The Social Network. I thought this was an entertaining movie only because of Aaron Sorkin's dialogue. Without that, I don't think I would have been impressed with the movie at all. I haven't read anything about Mark Zuckerberg and I was surprised to learn what a jerk he was (is?). However, I don't know how factual the source material (The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook, A Tale of Sex, Money, Genius, and Betrayal by Ben Mezrich) is. My understanding is that Zuckerberg had nothing to do with the book so, unfortunately, we're hearing only one side of the story and like the old saying goes, "Until the lion learns to speak, the tales of hunting will always favor the hunter". The Social Network was an entertaining movie, brilliantly written, well directed and acted, but it didn't make me feel any better about wasting time on Facebook, or make me want to rush back to my Facebook account. I'm not sure the movie would have been nominated for Best Picture if the Oscar field were moved back to only five nominees.

Five stars for Mr. Sorkin's writing. Three stars for the movie.

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5337 comments I'm not hearing any real complaints about the accuracy of the book or the film, beyond Zuckerberg's statement that he actually had a girlfriend throughout the time period the film covers.

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10555 comments i wasn't wholly impressed with this film - really left me cold, wondering what the fuss was all about. just didn't care about any of those people.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael The only thing the movie did for me was make me realize that Rashida Jones is hot.

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5337 comments My respect and affection for the film have grown with repeat viewings. I can understand what you mean, though: the film is about a batch of vile people, for the most part. The only sympathetic character in the entire film is Andrew Garfield's Eduardo Savarin, and I have to say that the one hole I have found in the film is the supposed "friendship" he has with Jesse Eisenberg's Mark Zuckerberg. I'd have liked to see a bit more evidence of this friendship, it feels rather forced as the film presents it.

On the whole, though, an entirely excellent piece of movie-making. I hope that Fincher keeps on in this vein, but we'll see. His next project is a remake of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO -- not a particularly interesting project, I'd say.

At least it isn't BENJAMIN BUTTON.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Tom wrote:"

"The only sympathetic character in the entire film is Andrew Garfield's Eduardo Savarin"

Could that be because he worked on the book with Ben Mezrich?

"His next project is a remake of THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO -- not a particularly interesting project, I'd say."

Or book, IMO.

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5337 comments Michael wrote: Could that be because he worked on the book with Ben Mezrich?

Again, as far as I know nobody's been complaining that book or film present an especially inaccurate account of the events in question, beyond Mark Zuckerberg actually having a girlfriend.

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 141 comments I enjoyed the film a lot, esp being a technophile. Just after we re-watched Pirates of Silicon Valley which I also enjoyed. They make a good pairing.

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (Webalina) | 583 comments Kernos wrote: "I enjoyed the film a lot, esp being a technophile. Just after we re-watched Pirates of Silicon Valley which I also enjoyed. They make a good pairing."

Haven't seen THE SOCIAL NETWORK yet, but I have see PIRATES OF SILICON VALLEY. If Zuckerberg is anything like Jobs and Gates were in the beginning, they all pretty much deserve any heinousness that come their way.

message 10: by George (new)

George | 951 comments I went in with no particular expectations and found it quite enjoyable. I didn't feel especially moved to remove all limits on facebook though.

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I avoided seeing this movie for the longest time but when I finally saw it, I accually kind of liked it. I didn't read the book and I don't really know anything about Facebook, but I still liked the movie.

message 12: by Dana * (last edited Mar 07, 2011 09:38AM) (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) I think there was a great deal of controversy over the movie while it was being shot. Especially from the characters portrayed: Zuckerburg, Voss twins, etc. They changed the name of the movie and lots of other things were negotiated, or at least they tried. I think the only thing that stood out of it was that stupid statement about the girlfried. There were lawsuits (shocker).

That says a lot about Zuckerberg though, doesn't it?
$65 billion is comforting I guess.

message 13: by L.J. (new)

L.J. (ljsellers) | 2 comments We watched The Social Network recently and found it interesting from a "historical" perspective, but it wasn't anything special and I can't see why it won any awards.

It's funny that Tom mentioned Benjamin Button. We watched it last night, and I wandered off for part of it. The movie seemed completely pointless, and Brad Pitt has never been so dull. Just my perspective.

L.J.
The Suicide Effect
The Sex Club

message 14: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess I definitely enjoyed the movie. It deserved its nomination as it was made very well, and Jesse Eisenberg's performance as Zuckerberg was wonderful, and Justin timberlake was very impressive as well.

message 15: by Gina (new)

Gina | 5 comments I personally loved the movie. I thought that all the actors, save Timberlake, did an amazing job with their roles. Even though Mark isn't really a sympathetic character I still felt sympathy for him at certain times through out the film (although that might be due more to my personality than his).

message 16: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 314 comments As far as Zuckerburg's portrayal, I thought it was a bit exaggerated, but enojoyable nonetheless.
I'll admit, I somewhat am addicited to this movie. It was really very good. The King's Speech defintly had a tough fight this year.

message 17: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (brema) | 24 comments I also avoided watching this film for as long as I could..until my husband just had to rent it. It was movie night and I was positive it was going to be boring so I curled up with my book and was prepared to glance up at the screen every now and then. After the first 15 minutes I completely stopped pretending that I was going to be able to read. I LOVED Jesse Eisenberg's acting in this film. People keep saying that it showed Zuckerberg as a jerk, but I didn't see it that way at all. He obviously has a personality disorder of some type or just lacks the skills to interact with others (this is if Eisenberg's portrayal is accurate). I didn't so much as feel sorry for him as I did just accepting it was how he was/is.

Justin Timberlake. He is one of the reasons I avoided watching the movie. I believe he did a fantastic job portraying someone who is supposed to be self-centered, paranoid, scheming, and an overall jerk. He did an amazing job of making you hate him. I have a bad feeling I'm going to have to stop judging Just Timberlake..I also saw Alpha Dog (which I also put off because of him) and it was a great movie too.

message 18: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 10 comments Hello everyone! I'm kind of new to this group, but there's so many topics...so I decided to introduce myself on this one! Anyways, yeah, I actually really enjoyed the Social Network. I thought it was quick and witty--and I too enjoyed Eisenberg's performance. It intrigued me, and kept me entertained. I don't think it was as good as some of the other noms, but I really did like it!

message 19: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10555 comments welcome to the group, courtney - please feel free to keep the comments coming!

message 20: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 314 comments Alright, upon becoming obssessed witht the movie and watching it a couple times to fully digest it (in my previous post, I 'd seen it once while weaving in and out of the room).
I was discussing the film with my dad one night in a very cold car and he went on and on and on about how Zuckerburg manipulated practically everyone in the movie and how he's a jerkyface and what not and only really comes around in the end. But I kind of disagree. I think (and note this is only the movie portrayal, I know very little on Zuckerburg in real life) that he was just to removed from the real world but so in it in some weird way. He was slightly out of it. I think he's a very misprecieved character, almost relatable to some people (me).
It's a very compelling movie even though most people won't understand half the "geek-speak".

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments You know I would really like to see this movie soon, since I got to know recently that someone had had to have invented facebook (even if it's a bit dull for me) and started the craze of online social networking with total strangers on such a massive scale. And kinda think I will like the lead guy and well just a bit youth historical stuff so will definitely make time for it.

message 22: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10555 comments you go, girl!

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments Yay Phillip, interesting movie about hackers and social geeks wanting to control a girl's life...I have seen half of it so far, and liked the whats his name main lead quite a bit.

message 24: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10555 comments jesse eisenberg is the what's his name in the lead.

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments thank you phillip,but ooh awkward name huh?

message 26: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 314 comments Jesse Eienberg. He's a favorite of mine.

message 27: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5337 comments What's awkward about Jesse Eisenberg's name?

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments lol to garrett, i think i know what you mean, sadly have a facebook doesn't do anything for me yeah!

Tom: Eisenberg i don't know sounds like a city or something like a tanker , no?

message 29: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5337 comments No.

St[♥]r Pr!nc:$$ N[♥]wsheen pictures, pictures, pictures ||| ♥ Zin Uru ♥ |||| | 482 comments :(

look it's The Eisenberg (now what did that make you think of?)

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 100 comments I could not understand what the big deal is, to be honest. It was a movie about Facebook; it was 'based on true stories'; Timberlake was there... that was it for me. :|

And my friend were all, "Oh it's the best ever." Er... not really.

message 32: by Randi (new)

Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick) (guitarchick) | 314 comments I wouldn't call it the best ever, but I really did enjoy it.