Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Tales to Chill Your Blood Reads > Count Magnus by MR James Group Discussion (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 1347 comments Mod
This week, we are reading Count Magnus by Montague Rhodes James, better known as MR James.

Here is the link: http://ghost.new-age-spirituality.com...

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve | 31 comments I think this is one of the scariest stories I've ever read. One of my personal all time favorites.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Winter Frost Queen)  (gatadelafuente) | 1347 comments Mod
Ooh, I will try to read it today! I love scary stories!

message 4: by David (new)

David Cobwebs and old manuscripts, and something wicked tracking you down...

message 5: by David (new)

David I just read it for the first time in about 30 years. Still a great read, and elegantly scary. I love the little touches, the merest hints that set your imagination on fire. It was James' personal favourite apparently.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) Its well done but I wanted a bit more in a way. It seemed a bit vague about some of the details. I could easily imagine a lot of the major bits though.

message 7: by David (new)

David Do you need more blood?

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Lyons (amandamlyons) No it wasn't that at all. Subtle's fine by me but I think in a way it was even more subtle than Lovecraft and he can be pretty vague.

message 9: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 325 comments Mod
It's a good one, although I agree about it being a bit vague. I suppose it's creepier that way, but I was interested in the short, hooded figure. A demon? Something else? The two figures trailing that poor guy was pretty creepy. I can't help but wonder what Magnus looked like after all this time, though. Was he never fully "dead"? That seems implied by the locks on his sarcophagus. Lover of pulpy writing that I am, I always wonder about a few lurid details.

**Possible spoiler if you haven't read "Case of Charles Dexter Ward"**
The first time I read this I remember idly wondering if it sparked the idea for Lovecraft's "Case of Charles Dexter Ward". I'm not really sure why exactly other than interest in a long-dead figure triggering said figure's resurrection.

message 10: by David (new)

David I make a point of reading an MR James story every Christmas, as it never seems complete without one. I don't know why Christmas and ghost stories go together so well, maybe it started with Dickens. Although in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight it's at the Christmas banquet that the green spectre rides in and makes the challenge I think. Maybe it's an old association between feasting and mortality. The ancient Egyptians at state banquets always had a corpse standing in the corner; death as the stranger at the feast of materialism and affluence.

I agree that this one is quite subtle. What one doesn't find out creates a lot of the atmosphere. What was Count Magnus involved with? What did he do to the historian? Who were the two figures. It does have some creepy aspects to it, especially when the locks fall off the sarcophagus and what happened to the fellows in the woods. I liked it, but it's not my fave by MR James.

message 12: by David (new)

David The BBC did a very good adaptation of Whistle and I'll Come to You:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyMAqI...

message 13: by Michael (last edited Mar 04, 2011 09:21PM) (new)

Michael (mikedecshop) | 30 comments yes it did

thanks for the link

message 14: by Jason (new)

Jason (darkfiction) | 164 comments Damn, I'm off the ball this month. It's been crazy around here. I'll read this very soon and get back.

No pressure, Jason. I am often a week or two behind myself.

message 16: by David (new)

David I broke my own record in reading 12 books simultaneously now, and I just got another one, Berlitz Essential German. Anyway, I bookmark them as I go along so hopefully I can juggle to the end rather than grinding to a stop. I find it impossible to finish one before starting the next, though I've heard from reliable authorities that it can be done. I must have been a grasshopper in a previous life :D

Wow, David. I'm impressed!!

message 18: by David (new)

David It does make sense, though. On a typical day the typical person careers through different moods and personalities and they don't all necessarily want to read the same book, so if you can roughly cater for them all with a representative selection you can keep all of them happy for most of the time :)

Good point. I can't juggle more than a few books at a time myself.

message 20: by Martha (new)

Martha (hellocthulhu) | 325 comments Mod
I can't do more than three, I think, and at least one of those has to be an anthology.