Haruki Murakami fans discussion

Murakami and Film > Murakami Book that would make a great movie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 66 (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark I know that here in the States we're waiting for Norwegian Wood the movie, but for those of us who have read all his books except maybe 1Q84, which other book struck you when you had finished reading it wow, this book would make a great movie ?

message 2: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 14 comments I'm being repetitious, but Kafka on the Shore. I think the tabu of incest and older woman/younger man, would make a fascinating movie.

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark Aloha wrote: "I'm being repetitious, but Kafka on the Shore. I think the tabu of incest and older woman/younger man, would make a fascinating movie."

wow. sex sells, eh? when I think of Kafka on the Shore I think of so much more than just that... if the whole movie was just based on the "tabu of incest and older woman/younger man" it wouldn't even be about what I got from the book. but kudos to anyone who could turn that book into a movie. wow. that would be a tough one

message 4: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 14 comments The book is more than that, it is about the vague boundaries between realities, past and present, and morality. But I think what people will understand and notice the most is the tabus.

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark Aloha wrote: "The book is more than that, it is about the vague boundaries between realities, past and present, and morality. But I think what people will understand and notice the most is the tabus."

yeah you're right, and that's kind of sad.

message 6: by OT Ornotobe (new)

OT Ornotobe (otornotobe) | 5 comments Toni Takitani is a great movie. Think it is maybe even as brilliantly directed as it is written.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420260/

message 7: by OT Ornotobe (new)

OT Ornotobe (otornotobe) | 5 comments Afterlife is a great movie that Murakami fans might appreciate too, although not written by himself.

message 9: by OT Ornotobe (new)

OT Ornotobe (otornotobe) | 5 comments Ah, even better is Fish Story

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1244666/

Now that I think of it, I think the only place I've exerienced as much pleasure as reading Murakami is when watching films.

message 10: by OT Ornotobe (new)

OT Ornotobe (otornotobe) | 5 comments Fish Story is highly Murakami-esque but a little more upbeat.

message 11: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 67 comments hardboiled wonderland and the end of the world!it would be nice seeing it in 3-D!

Yeah, Kafka on the shore is a rather complex book,I think one movie of it(meaning condensing everything in a 2 hr film) won't give justice to the book. Maybe a miniseries? like the ones in HBO, i.e the pacific etc

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark Jackdanielscat wrote: "Toni Takitani is a great movie. Think it is maybe even as brilliantly directed as it is written.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420260/"

this has already been made into a movie, doesn't belong on this list. anyway I've seen movie twice. I love the music

message 13: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 67 comments i have a dvd of Toni Takitani. I love the tone/feel of the whole film

message 14: by Benji (new)

Benji | 3 comments I feel Sputnik would be a good one-- there's an Antonioni movie that is very close to it. But it's visual enough to translate to the screen well.

Possibly Wild Sheep and Dance would be a good duo. Wild-up Bird is my favorite, but it's so long and as much good visual metaphors that there are, Im not sure if it's movie material. Maybe tv mini-series would be better, give it space and time to breathe, with more material written just for the film version.

message 15: by Benji (new)

Benji | 3 comments One problem with Wild Sheep is, how do you make it not so extremeley ridiculous when you introduce the Sheep Man? On paper, it's one thing--your mind does the work for you, in suspending disbelief. But in flesh and blood, then trying to film it...?

message 16: by Nick (new)

Nick | 21 comments I feel that adaptations of many of his short stories are more feasible than his novels. In fact, most of the short stories would make excellent short films. I'm sure there are many student films of 100% perfect girl out there.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Very much looking forward to seeing Norwegian Wood adapted for the big screen,have a soft spot for the short 100% perfect girl..beautiful..

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I would love an anime version of Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, directed ala- Satoshi Kon. I love what he did with Paprika.

message 19: by Mark (new)

Mark trigger wrote: "I would love an anime version of Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, directed ala- Satoshi Kon. I love what he did with Paprika."

I loved Paprika and watched it twice. my only complaint with that movie was the subtitles were extremely hard to read. but yeah, great choice!

message 20: by John (new)

John | 8 comments Sarah wrote: "Very much looking forward to seeing Norwegian Wood adapted for the big screen,have a soft spot for the short 100% perfect girl..beautiful.."

I agree about 100% perfect girl... that would make a very sweet/bittersweet movie. Done right, no girl would leave that movie with dry eyes.

message 21: by J (last edited Mar 19, 2011 05:22PM) (new)

J | 13 comments I hate to say it, but I think Murakami's novels shouldn't be adapted to film anymore. After watching Tran Anh Hung's take on it for Norwegian Wood, I can't help cringing whenever I recall scenes from the film. So many things lacking, so little characterisation, so flat. Ugh.

message 22: by Gingko999 (new)

Gingko999 | 2 comments Mark wrote: "I know that here in the States we're waiting for Norwegian Wood the movie, but for those of us who have read all his books except maybe 1Q84, which other book struck you when you had finished readi..."
I'm reading the third volume of 1Q84--in Chinese. :) The imagery is so rich that while reading it I feel like watching its movie version. Reading him is truly addictive.

message 23: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 67 comments Gingko999 wrote: "Mark wrote: "I know that here in the States we're waiting for Norwegian Wood the movie, but for those of us who have read all his books except maybe 1Q84, which other book struck you when you had f..."

what? the book got translated earlier in Chinese? Oooh, so jealous right now. (wishing i knew how to read and understand other languages aside from English)

message 24: by John (last edited Mar 21, 2011 08:58PM) (new)

John | 8 comments I think "After Dark" would work... It even seems to me that he was thinking of the book in terms the camera and cinema given the point of view he mentioned in ch 1.

But what a spooky movie that would be.

message 25: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 67 comments John wrote: "I think "After Dark" would work... It even seems to me that he was thinking of the book in terms the camera and cinema given the point of view he mentioned in ch 1.

But what a spooky movie that ..."

Weird too! just imagine the guy who was into raping ladies, the guy who works night shift

message 26: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 67 comments i agree back at you Heidi. the prose might be turned into something else, the scenes blurred into something un-great! definitely has to be done by the right person to give justice to this book.

message 27: by Nick (new)

Nick G | 45 comments I can't see his novels being sucessfully translated into a film, I guess. Writing in first person, as Murakami tends to do, gives so many advantages over film when it comes to bringing the abstract and strange essences of his books into life.

Someone above mentioned using anime though, which could be cool. Anyone seen 'Ponyo' by Hayao Miyazaki? That film had a strange essence about it, and seems like soemthing like that could translate well to a book like "Hardboiled Wonderland..."

Soemone on youtube did a still-frame animae thing with 100% perfect girl that was pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbnE6j...

Another medium for adapting the book would be theater. There is a production company who has adapted "Wind Up Bird Chronicle..." and some saw an earlier version in NYC couple of years ago that I heard was very impressive.
http://www.windupbc.com/

message 28: by Elliott (new)

Elliott (wakefuldreamer) Nick wrote: "I can't see his novels being sucessfully translated into a film, I guess. Writing in first person, as Murakami tends to do, gives so many advantages over film when it comes to bringing the abstract..."

I also love the work of Miyazaki, but I read in a Paris Review interview with Haruki Murakami that he doesn't care for anime. Here's the quote:

INTERVIEWER

Have you seen Hayao Miyazaki’s anime film Spirited Away? It seems to me there are certain similarities to your books, in that he also manipulates folk material in contemporary ways. Do you enjoy his movies?

MURAKAMI

No. I don’t like animated movies. I saw just a little part of that movie, but that is not my style. I’m not interested in that kind of thing. When I write my books, I get an image, and that image is so strong.

If you're interested in the whole interview, here's a link:

http://www.theparisreview.org/intervi...

message 29: by Erik3003 (new)

Erik3003 | 4 comments My vote goes to After the quake. Sadly very relevant again. And I would love to see Superfrog in action :)

message 30: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (bryanrdennis) | 1 comments My vote is for either The Wind up Bird Chronicle or Hardboiled Wonderland at the End of the World. Both have many intriguing visual images that would translate well to the screen.

message 31: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) E wrote: "There is a stage version of After the Quake that was produced at Steppenwolf in Chicago several years ago. I don't know whether it has been produced elsewhere, and it did not include all the stori..."

E-what a fascinating idea. I never would have thought of Murakami and the stage, given his dream-like qualities. Now I can't stop imagining his different books, especially Wind-Up, as they might be done on stage!

message 32: by Megster (new)

Megster | 1 comments I'd love Hard Boiled Wonderland on the big screen! Miyazaki style could be a little juvenile though, def should be darker visually than Miyazaki's norm. Maybe get some experimental animators on it. Not where the animation style completely changes every 15 minutes, that's annoying. Just to get a fresh, acid trip feel that is coompletely modern. Stay away from 80s anime!

message 33: by Elliott (new)

Elliott (wakefuldreamer) There is a production of The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle that is going to premiere in August 2011 at the Edinburgh International Festival. The production company who's doing it hopes that if the play does well then they can then take it on tour. Here's a link to their site if you're interested:
http://windupbc.com/current.html

Elliott

Ellie wrote: "E wrote: "There is a stage version of After the Quake that was produced at Steppenwolf in Chicago several years ago. I don't know whether it has been produced elsewhere, and it did not include all..."

Ellie wrote: "E wrote: "There is a stage version of After the Quake that was produced at Steppenwolf in Chicago several years ago. I don't know whether it has been produced elsewhere, and it did not include all..."

message 34: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Clausen | 56 comments Benji wrote: "I feel Sputnik would be a good one-- there's an Antonioni movie that is very close to it. But it's visual enough to translate to the screen well.

Possibly Wild Sheep and Dance would be a good d..."

My thoughts exactly. I think there is quite a bit of the mood that can be portrayed through weather and great acting.

message 35: by Benji (new)

Benji | 3 comments The Antonioni movie I'm talking about is L'Avventura - if you watch it, the parallels between it and Sputnik are pretty striking. Similar happenings but different perspectives and emotional content.

I agree, too, that this thread began about movies, but that some of his other things might work best in other formats than film, like the small screen, theatre, the art world, opera. But maybe best would be a Murakami script written for the screen, rather than an adaptation?

message 36: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 80 comments After reading Dance Dance Dance, I thought it would make the perfect David Lynch movie.

message 37: by Rin (new)

Rin | 11 comments Ranee wrote: "i have a dvd of Toni Takitani. I love the tone/feel of the whole film"

I have just watched it too. Beautifully made.

message 38: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 80 comments I just watched Tony Takitani - very haunting. I'd love to see Jun Ishikawa make movies of some other Murakami stories.

message 39: by Tina (new)

Tina (tinee92782) | 2 comments I have seen Noruwei no Ki (Norwegian Wood) with english subtitles. I am not so happy with it, I think that it didn't really captured what it is in the book. Though it was really very haunting. But if I would to choose a book, I would like to see "South of the Border, West of the Sun" be made into a movie. The story was simple, but the longing, emotions and cravings of a human in need of something was incredible. This would be a really moving movie I think.

message 40: by Sam (new)

Sam (sam_bisou) | 8 comments no no no no no no no no

maybe a short story but still

just no

message 41: by Ranee (new)

Ranee | 67 comments Tina, I share the same sentiments with Norwegian Wood. It was either the subtitles were bad, meaning it did not follow the translation of the book or maybe there were so many deleted beautiful scenes I imagine in the book that were not captured in the movie. The only thing I liked about the movie was the cinematography of the Kyoto Sanitarium, the mountains, grasses and even the river was breathtaking.

message 42: by Ursula (new)

Ursula (ursulafs) | 4 comments Both Kafka and Wind-Up Bird can't be made into movies. I'd rather watch my imagination than disappointed with the movies.

whoever mentioned 100% perfect girl, I agree. It would be a nice bittersweet movie.

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy Jo (spankysnail) | 1 comments I could see Kafka on the Shore as a good indie film.

message 44: by M.L. (last edited Oct 26, 2012 11:24AM) (new)

M.L. | 39 comments 1Q84 could be a fantastic movie - if done right. The opening pages of the hardback opened like a movie. I view movies based on books as separate and distinct abstracts -- more than individual scenes, the feel needs to be right. Stylistically, if a director emulated Citizen Kane, 1Q84 would be stunning - or Kurosawa's Ran - a blend of those 2 directors.

message 45: by Rin (new)

Rin | 11 comments I will be most excited if A wild sheep chase is made into movie!

message 46: by Jeffrey (new)

Jeffrey | 80 comments Wild sheep chase, yes - and dance dance dance should be directed by David Lynch

message 47: by Sheva (new)

Sheva (kepikbadut) | 5 comments After Dark would be nice. The director, I was thinking, it will be perfect if the director is Sofia Coppola. She captured the nights in Tokyo perfectly, if you saw Lost in Translation.

message 48: by Kets (new)

Kets Kitamura | 1 comments I agree with you, Sheva. That would be lovely indeed. But I think not only that. There are similarities between Murakami and Coppola at how they chose and elaborated their themes such as loneliness and listlessness or ennui. Coppola showed it best in Lost in Translation and Somewhere. The only problem is how to translating the bizarre, quirky elements of Murakami's prose into screen? Here, I guess, Coppola would fail. As far as I know, only David Lynch who has the knack to make that part of Murakami's writing filmable.

But I don't mind if Murakami books are made into films by one of these directors: Woody Allen, Sofia Coppola, and Aki Kaurismaki. And I hope they will choose The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. ^^

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to see South of the Border, West of the Sun.

message 50: by Aylin (new)

Aylin | 3 comments 1Q84 would be an amazing movie but would also be challenging to get it right

« previous 1