Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Limits on Overdrive (library ebooks). BUMMER!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (last edited Feb 27, 2011 12:49PM) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Check out this article here:

http://www.libraryjournal.com/lj/home...

Essentially:

HarperCollins is putting a cap of 26 loans on their ebooks before the license expires.

Eventually, they'd (not sure if it is HarperCollins or Overdrive) like to limit or enforce a rule that people outside of an area can't get library cards. No more Philly Free library cards!

The publisher also issued a short statement: "HarperCollins is committed to the library channel. We believe this change balances the value libraries get from our titles with the need to protect our authors and ensure a presence in public libraries and the communities they serve for years to come."

Josh Marwell, President, Sales for HarperCollins, told LJ that the 26 circulation limit was arrived at after considering a number of factors, including the average lifespan of a print book, and wear and tear on circulating copies.

Note that it only applies to new titles. Also, neither Macmillan, nor Simon & Schuster have their ebooks available to libraries.

message 2: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Ugh! I agree with what that librarian had to say, "new formats are opportunities--not threats to be quashed."

message 3: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments WAit what?

Peep (Pop! Pop!) What, what?

message 5: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Libraries are limiting books people can borrow via electronically?

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Not really. It's just HarperCollins ebooks so far. And not really limiting people, just the libraries. Unless someone has a library that can afford to pay for multiple copies over and over again.

message 7: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I can see how that makes sense. I mean, you only get so many reads out of a book anyway, before it falls apart. Then they have to decide if they're going to rebuy the book again. I'm sure it's more then 26 reads, but still, lmao.

Not to mention that I can't fault them for trying to keep Libraries mostly about printed books. If Libraries can get all their books unlimited ebooks, there's a good chance that more and more books would be being bought that way because overtime it would save them money. Without that cap I can see how even Libraries could eventually be virtual, and while I don't use libraries that thought still makes me sad.

For now it's just HarperCollins, but the trend could catch on.

message 8: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Well, if they're going to do this, then they should at least make the # higher than 26 if it's to be at all comparable with the replacement rate of a print book. I think that libraries should be allowed to move into the future, just like all the other book providers are. Maybe I'm just biased because I am a heavy library user, but this seems unfair to me.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Figures. I just got an ereader!

message 10: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I just don't see that happening, at all. I can see how ebooks are convenient, but I just don't see libraries going strictly virtual. It still costs money for the ebooks, most often (my guess) more than a physical book.

I'm not really going for the 26 use model. Maybe they should bundle the physical book with the ebook. When the physical book needs replaced, then the license for the ebook should be renewed :P

I don't know if it's just my library, but we don't replace books that often. We repair them as much as possible, but that may be just my library.

message 11: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) It should definitely be higher then 26. That number's just pretty outrageous.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) I love getting real books from my library, don't scare me Wendy!

message 13: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Holy smokes, I love using, commas!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Hahaha! I LOVE commas. I put them everywhere and then when I re-read things I am like "why did you put a comma there?" I seriously use them everytime I pause.

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

message 16: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Hahaha, that and I use exclamation points. I'm looking back at some of my comments and I'm thinking the same thing as you. It's like I want people to know exactly where I paused my typing!

Heidi (Yup. Still here.) Sometimes a period just seems so boring Peep :)

message 18: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I do the same thing, hahaha. I always put them where I pause and then I realize I've used like 4 in one sentence.

message 19: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Haha yeah I doubt they'll go purely vitrual because I knwo I"d be doomed for my papers for school! One paper alone I"m using 19 books from the school library alone

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments In a way, it seems fair. If you think about it, libraries lose the author and publishers money. A single library could buy 1 or 2 copies of an ebook and loan it unlimited times. Each copy is potentially one less sale. It goes the same for loaning a Kindle book or sharing on multiple devices used by other friends or family members. If you don't give the ebooks a shelf life, the authors and publishers won't make any money. If they don't make money they will stop writing or go out of business. It is like spaying a cat. A cat can have lots of litters. A library can loan lots of books. If they spay the cat (library) then it means more sales for them. I hope that makes sense. :)

message 21: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yeah, I can see that point...but I still think that 26 is way too low a number. There's no way that a print book would survive only 26 lendings. My library mends pages and uses plastic covers over all of the dust jackets. Some of the books look like they've survived 10-15 years or more, which could potentially be hundreds of lendings. I don't see why ebooks should be subjected to stricter rules than print books, especially when they are SO MUCH cheaper for the print houses to produce and also more environmentally friendly.

message 22: by Becca (new)

Becca | 1608 comments I happen to know of several authors (well-known) who have commented on their blogs how much they love it when people use libraries. Of course, they'd love it more if we would buy the books for ourselves, but libraries are the next best thing in their opinion, because if the library has high circulation on one of their books, they are gauranteed to order the next book in the series/from the author and they usually order multiple copies. The same thing goes for e-books. I think the publisher is only hurting thier sales by going this route.

message 23: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments Library is a good way to taste a book or an author. If they like they'll pay for the next book possibly. May I add there is another thread about this and the atomospheres are so different this one nice the other furious.

message 24: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) We're just taking it in stride. For me, I'll just deal with whatever happens. I will pretend to cry if other pubs follow suit though.

message 25: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Haha, pretend to cry.

Yeah, I am in way too deep with my book addiction to ever give it up for these kinds of circumstances. I will just have to get craftier.

message 26: by Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (last edited Feb 28, 2011 01:23PM) (new)

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 325 comments I agree that you probably get more than 26 lendings from a book. I am glad they are making them available at the library at all. This is also just new HarperCollins books the OP said. Don't forget about all of the books already available and older series some of us have yet to discover. Many are available in ebook and audio at my library network. I have a long list to go through to supplement my purchased books and save me money. I just finished Crank yesterday on audio from the library and will probably end up purchasing Ellen Hopkins' books to reread if I like the next as much. I am on the waiting list for Glass. Libraries are great for testing out authors and genres that are new to you. It doesn't have to be a new release to be a great book. There are so many out there already! :)