The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Lee Child discussion thread and link to list of books coming up. http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

message 2: by Curlyhair (new)

Curlyhair | 186 comments I've recently "found" Lee Child & Jack Reacher. Only read the 1st book - The Killing Floor, but after a shaky start, I couldn't put it down. Looking forward to reading many more.

message 3: by stan (new)

stan (stanthewiseman) | 141 comments Lee child a British born author Writing about a Ex American MP Officer who's a loner. Every story is top class. He seems to get better and Better

message 4: by omgbart (new)

omgbart | 28 comments I only read one of his books (JR #13) and really enjoyed it. I recently got #12 in the series and will be reading it soon!

message 5: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 1 comments I've read and enjoyed all of them at this point. Part of me would really like to be Jack Reacher.

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamelaterry) I love Jack Reacher - wish he lived close by. I am up to #5 in the series. Finishing a couple of reads and then going for #6. I have heard that some are better than others, and I have noticed that as well in the books I have read thus far. However, I still look forward to the next book and will finish the series :)

message 7: by Gary (new)

Gary Proctor | 20 comments Curlyhair wrote: "I've recently "found" Lee Child & Jack Reacher. Only read the 1st book - The Killing Floor, but after a shaky start, I couldn't put it down. Looking forward to reading many more."

Very different story for me..I had just finished reading all the Vince Flynn book and was looking for something else when Lee Child was recommended. I went to his web site and read the first few pages of Killing Floor and was instantly interested. I devoured the rest in the series over the next couple months and have not looked back.

I do agree that the quality does fluctuate some from book to book, but on average, I have found them all to be greatly readable and count the series as one of my favorites.

message 8: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 1 comments I just finished The Persuader, #7 in the series. I came to this series late and really enjoy the detail Lee Child puts into every aspect of the stories. I don't even like guns, but all the information Reacher has about guns and how to use them is fascinating. I space these books out between other novels because I find I enjoy Reacher more when I don't read one right after another.

message 9: by Hayes, Co-Moderator (new)

Hayes (hayes13) | 2060 comments Mod
Curlyhair wrote: "I've recently "found" Lee Child & Jack Reacher. Only read the 1st book - The Killing Floor, but after a shaky start, I couldn't put it down. Looking forward to reading many more."

I had the same experience, Curlyhair. A shaky start sums it up really well, but then everything moves along at a good pace.

Am now reading Persuader. This too got off to a so-so start, but the first twist has come and now I'm hooked.

@Lynn: I agree. I wont read another one right away. A little formulaic, which is okay, but I don't want to overload.

message 10: by omgbart (new)

omgbart | 28 comments I am reading #12 now and it's awful. It's most likely one of the worst books I ever read and I'm seriously contemplating just giving up with 100 pages left to go... Nothing to Lose

message 11: by Tay (new)

Tay | 261 comments I recently started Lee Child and have read the first five books last month. Taking a break from Child now but will pick it up in a little bit.

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris I recently finished 'The Killing Floor' and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

I still can't believe they cast Tom Cruise as Reacher. He is not how picture Reacher. Reacher is what about 6'3" and Cruise is I think 5'7". Don't see it at all.

message 13: by Chris (last edited Aug 25, 2011 05:50AM) (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 44 comments You're joking, Tom Cruise?! The casting director needs specs!

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris Chris wrote: "You're joking, Tom Cruise?! The casting director needs specs!"

I wish I was. But it shows up on his page at www.imdb.com. They're doing 'One Shot'.

I wonder of Lee Child had any say in who would be playing Reacher.

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (boydlinda95gmailcom) | 335 comments Probably not, since surely he would not have chosen Tom Cruise!!!!

message 16: by Celia (new)

Celia Barry | 7 comments Terrible pick. Part of Reacher's presence is his intimidating stature and muscle. Tom Cruise is WRONG for this part. But who should it be??

message 17: by Tay (new)

Tay | 261 comments Jason Statham would be a good Reacher

message 18: by Celia (new)

Celia Barry | 7 comments agreed!

message 19: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (missbelgravia) | 12 comments Yes, or Gerard Butler, Hugh Jackman, my next door neighbor, or ANYONE other than Tom Cruise!

message 20: by Dave (new)

Dave Magoloff | 6 comments I always thought the wrestler Randy Orton would be a great Jack reacher. not sure how well he can act, but he fits the mold. Or maybe the Rock.

message 21: by Diane S ☔ (last edited Sep 06, 2011 05:50PM) (new)

Diane S ☔ | 77 comments His new book The Affair is due out the end of Sept. I can see Daniel Craig as Jack Reacher. His new book will tell Reacher's back story.

message 22: by Celia (new)

Celia Barry | 7 comments Diane wrote: "His new book The Affair is due out the end of Sept. I can see Daniel Craig as Jack Reacher."

I thought about Daniel Craig too but I still think someone at least 6' tall would be best.

message 23: by Celia (new)

Celia Barry | 7 comments Celia wrote: "Diane wrote: "His new book The Affair is due out the end of Sept. I can see Daniel Craig as Jack Reacher."

I thought about Daniel Craig too but I still think someone at least 6' tall would be best."

Timothy Olyphant, Viggo Mortensen or Liev Schreiber.

message 24: by Afsana (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 179 comments I have recently got into Jack reacher series and have all the books but The affair

I have read the 1st and enjoyed both

with a long sries or anywriter U read the books but keave gaps beween them so the author does not get stale and because i have several hundreds of other books to read

message 25: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 33 comments Been a huge fan of child. Picked up The Enemy while on holiday in the US and Canada, when i ran out of books i had taken with me. I was really suprised to find out that Child was British and that cemented my love for him...i could have sworn he was American from the way he wrote about the USA.
I've been commenting on a thread on Amazon which has been attempting to cast Jack Reacher which is now near the 1000 posts mark.
Over the course of the months that this thread has been building i don't recall anybody suggesting that Tom Cruise is anything other than a totally inappropriate choice for Jack Reacher.
There have been probably almost a hundred reasonable suggestions for the role, most of who i personally think are wrong and maybe a small handful witch i believe would be excellent. We all have our own ideas BUT the majority of one's put forward with some sincerity, are a 100% more appropriate than the actual casting for the role.
I'm very disappointed that this property has gone in the direction that it has...but i'm now almost reconciled to the fact that this is not a Jack Reacher movie, just a film loosely based on a book i once read. But what we have most conclusively proved is that Childs assertion that there are not actors out there who can both be a film lead and faithful to the original character (i.e, 6 foot 5 and 250lbs), is just self serving lies and startling arrogance. What is most disappointing is the way that Lee Child has betrayed his own creation by supporting Cruise for the role saying 'Reachers size is just a metaphor. I would almost have more respect for him if he came out and said, 'sorry guys, the money i was offered was just too good' but his continual defence (on TV and Radio) of the the creative direction that the project is going in is just a slap in the face for those of us who have purchased all of his books.
I have not purchased 'The Affair' yet. I may do at some point in the future, when i have distanced the author's actions with the property, but maybe not. That is how angry i am with Child and i need to work that out before i invest anymore of my time or money in his work.
Don't get me wrong. I believe that he has every right to do with his property what he likes but by the same token i have the same right to withdraw my financial support for the author and publishing company and i will no longer be recommending Child as an author to read to my friends and acquaintances. I suspect that this will not make one jot of difference. I suspect the film will be a commercial success, which is all that anybody who is involved with it seems to care about. I'm sure that Cruise and Child will be happy counting their pile of cash earned by this film.

message 26: by Curlyhair (new)

Curlyhair | 186 comments For anyone interested, Lee Child is on The Book Show - (on sky) in the UK this Thursday night. He might mention the film then, aswell as The Affair. I'll be watching.

message 27: by Robert (new)

Robert Bidinotto (robertbidinotto) | 23 comments Lee Child is among my top three favorite thriller authors. A few years ago, as a magazine editor, I had the opportunity to interview him at length. In the past few weeks I republished that wide-ranging interview on my blog, in three installments.

Lee goes deeply into his fascinating life story: his rough-and-tumble childhood growing up on the streets of Birmingham, England; dabbling in theater and law in college; his long career as a director for Granada Television; his gutsy midlife decision, facing imminent firing, of writing a novel instead of seeking another job; his meteoric rise to bestseller status; and -- a real treat -- his maverick advice for fellow writers.

It's one of the best pieces I ever published, and I think you'll enjoy it. If there are no objections, I'll link to Part 1 here.

Please let me know what you think, either in this thread or on my blog.

And while you're there, check out my interviews with two other thriller icons: Vince Flynn and Brad Thor.

message 28: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments I adore Jack Reacher. I've been a die hard fan of Child's books since I picked up "The Killing Floor" many, many years ago on a whim and took it home with me. I agree with Tyrone that the casting of Tom Cruise to play our beloved hero is a travesty that only Hollywood could dream up. I ranted and raved on my Facebook page for quite awhile over the whole thing, but, unless you're a huge fan of the books it's hard for anyone to understand the level of betrayal a lot of us feel over this. The only good side, as far as I can tell, of having Cruise play Jack is that it will introduce a whole lot of new folks to the books who wouldn't have given them a thought, otherwise. But it still hurts. (laughing) So, that's all I'm gonna say about it for now. I should take a page from Jack's world ... and "say nothing".

message 29: by Robert (last edited Nov 03, 2011 08:09PM) (new)

Robert Bidinotto (robertbidinotto) | 23 comments Bird & Tyrone, I wholeheartedly agree that Cruise is a lousy choice for Reacher. Reacher's sheer SIZE is essential to his character; in the interview I conducted with Lee and linked above, he said he wanted his stories to be not "David vs. Goliath," but "Goliath vs. Goliath."

Tom Cruise...Goliath? It's ludicrous.

I think you just have to treat the film as an action film unto itself, unrelated to the Jack Reacher novels, except that the film's protagonist just coincidentally happens to have the same name.

message 30: by Robert (new)

Robert Bidinotto (robertbidinotto) | 23 comments Incidentally, I just posted my review here of one of the better Reacher tales, Bad Luck and Trouble .

message 31: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Robert wrote: "Incidentally, I just posted my review here of one of the better Reacher tales, Bad Luck and Trouble."

Thanks! I'll read that one after I read your interview with Vince Flynn.

message 32: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Lynn wrote: "I just finished The Persuader, #7 in the series. I came to this series late and really enjoy the detail Lee Child puts into every aspect of the stories. I don't even like guns, but all the informat..."

I laughed when I read what you said about the guns. My middle son is a gun enthusiast, and thanks to Jack, I can discuss many of them with him now. My youngest son started reading the Reacher series after he heard me comment on the Barrett sniper rifle. (grin)

message 33: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments What is it you love (or hate) about Lee Child's stories and Jack Reacher? Dig down an pour your hearts out. What is it that you are seeing there? What do these stories do for you? I REALLY want to know.

message 34: by Charlene (new)

Charlene I think Echo Burning (Jack Reacher #5) was my first although Jack seemed familiar immediately. I really liked the character so I need to add more of Lee Child to my wish list. I totally agree with the posts above that I don't see Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher but feel that we need to allow the screen medium to be its own medium and not simply a reflection or imitation of print medium. Our imaginations are so different from film that there really can't be a comparison. Although Tom Cruise is not imposing in size he has effectively portrayed imposing characters on film.

message 35: by Keri (new)

Keri (keri_45) | 95 comments Jim, to me he is the ultimate good guy.

message 36: by Tyrone (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 33 comments Jim wrote: "What is it you love (or hate) about Lee Child's stories and Jack Reacher? Dig down an pour your hearts out. What is it that you are seeing there? What do these stories do for you? I REALLY want to ..."

I think it's because he is like an elemental force, unstoppable. He is justice in the old sense, 'eye for an eye', wild west type justice. And he is capable in the way i think we would all like to be. He is able to do and does do the things we would like to do if we were not wrapped up in all the layers of society (manners, being law abiding, needing stability and security) which we have learnt since we were born. It the old cliche...'Men want to be him, women want to be with him...'.

Least ways till child sold him out for thirty pieces of Silver. Grrr!

message 37: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments Tyrone wrote: "Jim wrote: "What is it you love (or hate) about Lee Child's stories and Jack Reacher? Dig down an pour your hearts out. What is it that you are seeing there? What do these stories do for you? I REA..."

Thanks for your input, Tyrone. He's like the old Gary Cooper roles in the Westerns I grew up on - the kinda guy I always imagined the president was supposed to be, the guy who stands up when the odds are against him. Yeah. Like we all want to be / think we are. "They" really are out there, yunno. Charlie Beckwith was one.

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments Charlene wrote: "I think Echo Burning (Jack Reacher #5) was my first although Jack seemed familiar immediately. I really liked the character so I need to add more of Lee Child to my wish list. I total..."

Probably his very best role was as Vincent in Collateral. He was very convincing and believable. Of course Michael Mann directed. So whaddaya expect. That film was also Jamie Fox's best role, too. So, I think Cruise can do it. He wouldn't be my choice. Reacher seems to be very gritty and wouldn't have Tom's "killer" smile. A guy like Reacher you see coming a mile away and you watch yourself . . . and him.

message 39: by Jane (new)

Jane (silkpjs) | 16 comments Who wouldn't be hooked on Reacher? But what I treasure in Lee Child is how he deconstructs every situation, taking you through all the thought processes and decisions that make Reacher such a successful strategist and formidable opponent. Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if I analyzed my situations as well.Maybe better, but maybe not.

message 40: by Sally (new)

Sally | 7 comments Clint Eastwood would have been a great Reacher...Too bad all this wasn't happening back in the '70s!

message 41: by Jane (new)

Jane (silkpjs) | 16 comments Liam Neeson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 42: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments Jane wrote: "Who wouldn't be hooked on Reacher? But what I treasure in Lee Child is how he deconstructs every situation, taking you through all the thought processes and decisions that make Reacher such a succe..."
Thanks for that input, Jane. I'm trying Echo Burning next and will think about what you said.

message 43: by Tyrone (last edited Jan 28, 2012 04:04AM) (new)

Tyrone (28daysearlier) | 33 comments My first Reacher was The Enemy just simply because I ran out of books on holiday and this was the one out on paperback at the time. I then read the others in publication order, which until recently was also chronological order.

Usually if I am approaching a new author where there has been an established series I always find out what the chronological order is an try and read them that way. You do spot some more continuity error that way. If I follow the series as they are published, I always order them chronologically when I re-read them.

message 44: by Jeanie (last edited Feb 09, 2012 07:24PM) (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Jim wrote: "Tyrone wrote: "Jim wrote: "What is it you love (or hate) about Lee Child's stories and Jack Reacher? Dig down an pour your hearts out. What is it that you are seeing there? What do these stories do..."
There are many reasons why I adore Jack. I think I love his tenacity the most, though. When the chips are down and all appears lost, he's just getting warmed up! (laughing) I've often been in the middle of reading one of the books, and I'll search my imagination trying to figure out how Lee will navigate our hero from point A (the beginning of overwhelming odds,a morass of pain and a world of hurt) to point B (safe, secure, and in decently good health with all enemies vanquished) but he always does. Jack is an amalgam of an Abrams tank and a Timex watch with "quit" not being a word in his vocabulary or understanding. Secondly, I love the fact that this guy, who is so deserving of praise and admiration, basically, has no ego. Or, at least, not in the traditional sense. He doesn't care how he looks, what he's wearing, what other people think about him or whether or not he gets any thanks at the end of a job well done. He just does his best, and lets everything else go, because the "everything else" is not important to him. Lastly, I love Jack because he has a big heart. He cannot stand by and do nothing, no matter how much he argues with himself that he doesn't care. The bottom line is that he cares too much, and his internal debates always wind up being beside the point when all is said and done. There are other reasons for my admiration, but those are the top three. (smiling) Thanks for the post! It made me have to stop and really think.

message 45: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments Thanks for your interesting observation about Reacher.

I think he has an interesting view of freedom, that is pretty much beyond all of us mere mortals. I'm thinking about the connection between freedom and ownership - especially as it applies to relationships. At the outset, Reacher has made a choice to be completely free. And that means no suitcase, no mortgage, no house, no car, no watch, no laptop, no girlfriend, no wife, no family. Subsequently, none of those "attachments" are at risk. Those of us with family, children, etc. cannot arbitrarily put those things at risk over our behavior, choices and actions. Reacher has no house to be burned down, wife to be kidnapped or children to be sold into slavery. This was the choice he had to make, and I think it was wise and responsible, too.

message 46: by Sally (new)

Sally | 7 comments I love Jack Reacher because it allows me to fantasize, feel as free as he is, and yet be in my mundane but enjoyable life. He is a superhero without the superhero suit and cape or disguise. Lee Childs is in my top five authors.

message 47: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 536 comments Hi Bird, You said it very nicely!!!!!!! From this post you can see that most like Reacher. And, Jim, you mention his freedom which he most certainly has, but most of all what I like about him is HE GETS THE JOB DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have read 10 of the
Reacher series.

message 48: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie (Birdyseeds) | 382 comments Jim wrote: "This was the choice he had to make, and I think it was wise and responsible, too."

Sometime after Jodie left the country and Jack sold his house, the one Leo gave to him so he'd have a place to go once he became too old and tired to wander around anymore, I stopped trying to apply reality, and all the sundry byproducts (deeper meanings, bigger pictureism, freedom or Peter Pan syndrome, etc...) that come with it, to Jack. Eventually, I began to view Reacher as a kind of super-human phantom sort of character. If I hadn't completely done so before then, I certainly would have stopped applying any of the normal laws of nature to him after he survived the ending of 61 Hours. (laughing). Otherwise, Jack's inability to commit to any single person, place, or thing for longer than it takes him to right some wrongs, snap some thongs, and catch the next Greyhound out of town would have, at least to me, become extremely disturbing and tragic. I'm not quite fifty years old, and today out of the blue my leg has gone out on me, and I've been laid up in bed all day with a heating pad. This, to a certain degree, is a normal occurrence for anyone my age or older who has lived a relatively active lifestyle...Then there's Jack who is two years my senior. After all the injuries he's sustained down through the years, he'd do well to be able to get out of bed every morning, let alone accomplish a tenth of what he typically does in each story. (smile).

message 49: by Tay (new)

Tay | 261 comments Just finished Gone Tomorrow and 61 Hours. The ending to two those was just brutal.

message 50: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 176 comments Well, we've certainly put some zip back into this thread. There was a guy constantly walking around Brentwood and Santa Monica, who could be Reacher. You'd see him at all hours. Mornings he'd hit the Starbucks at Barrington Court. Then later in the day, he'd be sitting on the bluff looking at the ocean. But always walking, walking, walking. And wearing a green Army parka, usually with the hood up. Maybe he was homeless. Probably, he was a millionaire who liked walking. Anyone remember seeing this guy?

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.