The Pale King discussion

PK Length and reading schedule

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed (edraso) | 60 comments Mod
Amazon is listing The Pale King at just under 500 pages. Reading it in 12 weeks would put us at about 40 pages per. Does this seem ok?

message 2: by dejah_thoris (new)

dejah_thoris | 33 comments Does it divide at all into sections? Or are we planning to discuss at the end? (Sorry, I haven't had a chance to look at it.)

message 3: by Ed (new)

All that's generally known at the moment is the page length. It comes out on the 15th of April. We usually have spoiler lines each week.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I always like to adhere to the reading schedule, so whatever works. We could even up the amount to 50 for 10 weeks.

message 5: by Nebuchanezer (new)

Nebuchanezer | 4 comments Whatever is the consensus view is fine with me

message 6: by dejah_thoris (new)

dejah_thoris | 33 comments My bad, I thought it was already published.

message 7: by Good (new)

Good (goodoldneon) | 1 comments PW's review of The Pale King **Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers**

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by...

message 8: by Ed (new)

Regarding the spoiler lines: shall we consider Monday the cut-off between weeks, that way, anyone needing to catch up can have the week-end to do so?

message 9: by James (new)

James Martin (jamesnotjim) | 35 comments I like this idea, Ed.

message 10: by dejah_thoris (new)

dejah_thoris | 33 comments That would help me keep up.

message 11: by katrina (new)

katrina | 10 comments I got a copy because Amazon sent the pre-orders theirs like.. a month early. It is 547 pages including "notes and asides"

message 12: by katrina (new)

katrina | 10 comments It seems to be all footnoted, not endnoted like IJ! Crazy. Also divided into chapters, 49 of them.

message 13: by dejah_thoris (new)

dejah_thoris | 33 comments I hope that makes it easier to read on the Nook. I was concerned that it would be another set of endnotes. #ebookdownside

message 14: by James (new)

James Martin (jamesnotjim) | 35 comments How does Nook handle endnotes, dejah_thoris? On the Kindle apps for iPhone and Mac, they're similar to hyperlinks, though, if you get a call or something, jumping back from a long note will often fail. So, when I was reading Infinite Jest, I found myself always setting a bookmark before I followed the jump to a footnote.

message 15: by katrina (new)

katrina | 10 comments James wrote: "How does Nook handle endnotes, dejah_thoris? On the Kindle apps for iPhone and Mac, they're similar to hyperlinks, though, if you get a call or something, jumping back from a long note will often f..."

I'm wondering if endnotes and footnotes will be treated the same digitally. I wish I knew programming so I could get into the e-book formatting game!

message 16: by Ed (new)

Infinite Jest was great to read on the Kindle. I could navigate the endnotes easily. Reading IJ on an iPhone sounds like a big headache.

message 17: by James (new)

James Martin (jamesnotjim) | 35 comments I started off reading IJ in softcover, but I got sick of lugging it around. Reading it on the iPhone wasn't bad at all. I just crank the font up pretty large. You have to swipe to the next page about every 1/3 of a DFW-sized paragraph, but that's no problem. iPad would be better, of course. But I haven't taken that plunge quite yet. (My wife has one and does a lot of reading on hers, via the Kindle app.)

message 18: by James (new)

James Martin (jamesnotjim) | 35 comments katrina wrote: "James wrote: "How does Nook handle endnotes, dejah_thoris? On the Kindle apps for iPhone and Mac, they're similar to hyperlinks, though, if you get a call or something, jumping back from a long not..."

I'm assuming you're right. Digitally speaking (at least as far as the various Kindle apps go) all footnotes are really hyperlinked end notes. At least this has been my experience so far.

message 19: by Paola (new)

Paola (asphodelia) Infinite Jest had its own App for iPhone, which was rather expensive at £10.99 (more than the book) but a lifesaver for reading on the go. The endnotes were all clickable and took you to a separate page that didn't disappear after a few seconds.

Might be the reason why, at least up until a couple of months ago, there was no IJ for UK Kindle - not sure if this has changed now.

message 20: by dejah_thoris (new)

dejah_thoris | 33 comments Nook doesn't handle endnotes well. Yes, there are links but the Back button only stays visible for a few seconds. If it's a shorter note, you can hold the Back button (even after it disappears) and you'll return to where you were reading. But if you have a note that takes multiple screens, the Back button on any of the screens is completely gone once you navigate to the second screen. So you either have to remember the page you were on and dial back that way or remember what chapter you were on and go through the TOC again. Giant pain in the ass.