Romantic Historical Fiction Lovers discussion

NOMINATED RHF TITLES > ROMANTIC HISTORICAL PARANOMAL?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Feb 27, 2011 09:37AM) (new)

Emery Lee (authoremerylee) | 900 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,
Since this group began, in addition to catagorizing by era,I have created bookshelves for:
historical fiction with strong romantic elements, Historical romance with strong history,
Romantic biographical fiction, romantic historical suspense, and romantic historical with time travel

Do you think we should also consider some romantic historical paranormal titles. I've looked at a few titles lately that look pretty interesting, and wanted to know your thoughts.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 27 comments Yes! I love historical novels but must have some romance. Something paranormal even if it is a minor part of the story is even better.

message 3: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Gaile (kittygladu) | 251 comments Mod
Some have paranormal anyway without being advertised as such. The heroine in Posie Graeme=Evans War Of The Roses series has the sight.
I also love Time travel Romances as they are very historical!

message 4: by Melody (new)

Melody Medeiros | 1 comments Yes, please :) I am very interested in historical paranormal romances, thanks.

message 5: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth Oh yes, that is one of my favorite mixes. I don't how to look for new, good books that incorporate all of those elements.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments As long as it dosent have Vampires,Demons,Werewolves,oh & zombies..I like past/present..ghost..maybe? Ah..but after reading The Phantom of Valletta by Vicki Hopkins The Phantom of Valletta III read anything you write Vicki!

message 7: by Gaile, co-librarian (last edited Mar 02, 2011 04:38PM) (new)

I mostly go for time travel, I especially like characters that switch in time like Confessions Of A Jane Austen Addict. I also like it when the main character has the gift of sight. Witchcraft when used wisely is another favorite,I also like the idea of the main character coming from the future so the present seems like ancient history.
I do not like dark evil tales. Some Pananormal novels are so dark, I am not able to finish them.I believe the ability to read the future, to see spirits, to be a shaman, medicine man/woman, to use ancient knowledge is a gift and should be used for good,
I think that to write a good novel in this genre you would need to do research on the ancient arts. Also do read Sylvia Browne's books and try to find titles by Sybil Leek. Suzanne White's books on Astrology is another must.

message 8: by Jill (last edited Mar 03, 2011 01:28PM) (new)

Jill @ Vicki
Re: The Price of Innocence - Do the revisions you've made make any difference to the story line? And love the new cover btw.

I'm with Sandi, no demons etc but ghosts and parallel timelines work really well in romantic historical fiction imo.

Have you read any Susanna Kearsley? I love her 'Mariana' and 'The Winter Sea'. More romantic historical fiction like that would be great. She has present and past timelines that interconnect. They are both 4-4.5 stars for me.

message 9: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Thanks everyone! Sounds like we have a consensus so be on the lookout for some appropriate titles.

Jill- I have not yet read Susana Kearlsey but think these titles would be a great start.

message 10: by Jill (new)

Jill @ Emery
I'm pretty sure both the SK books are already shelved on the RHFL group. However, they are so good they deserve to be on more than one group shelf.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Jill wrote: "@ Vicki
Re: The Price of Innocence - Do the revisions you've made make any difference to the story line? And love the new cover btw.

I'm with Sandi, no demons etc but ghosts and parallel timeline..."

Im with Jill on Susana Kearsley! all of her books are great reads and great examples!

message 12: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Mar 02, 2011 07:02PM) (new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Vicki wrote: "Jill, I've made a few tweaks. I elaborated somewhat on Robert's point of view as to his regrets letting Suzette go. I changed the ending and dropped the prologue, but wrote an extra chapter in fro..."

I have the older version..but the new one sounds more in depth? They dont have the new one yet at Amazon.ca still only the one I got..so if I read only this version Vicki would I be missing important elements in the story?

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Vicki wrote: "A bit more in-depth, yes. Give it a week or two. The book was just released in the US last week. Sometimes it takes up to 30 days before it shows up on Amazon CA.
As far as important elements? ..."

Thanks Vicki..III keep checking then..Id rather have the newer version..

message 14: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

I love Susana Kearsley!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 27 comments All of one of my favorite author's books are all historical, romantic, and have paranormal themes from the fey to the sight, ghosts, visions, etc. All are stories of humans whose lives are touched by that which is not normal. This author being master story-teller Juliet Marillier! The Sevenwaters series starting with Daughter of the Forest, The Bridei Chronicles starting with The Dark Mirror, Wildwood Dancing and Cybele's Secret, Wolfskin and Foxmask, Heart's Blood. She was my greatest discovery in 2010.

message 16: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 18 comments For those of you who enjoy time travel, I suggest a book by Jack Finney called "Time and Again." I don't often read a book more than once (because there are too many I want to get to!) but I have read this one several times. I go back to it every few years.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments It is good Sherry! have you read the sequel? From Time to Time by Jack Finney From Time to Time

message 18: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "All of one of my favorite author's books are all historical, romantic, and have paranormal themes from the fey to the sight, ghosts, visions, etc. All are stories of humans whose lives are touched..."

Hi Terry-
Are you nominating any of these the Juliet Marillier titles for our group shelf? I am not familiar with her work. I've scanned the reviews which are by and large 4 plus stars but need to make sure there is enough "romance" in the stories. Do all of the titles in Seven waters have a strong romantic component or just some of them?

The Bridei Chronicles look to be more fantasy than historical- do you agree or do you feel there is enough history for us?

Thanks!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 27 comments I really don't know how to go about nominating them but would certainly love to. I not only bought and read ever book she has written I went back and bought hardcovers of them all (& not all easy to find) Each book is an incredible love story - no exceptions. Other than Wildwood Dancing and Cybele's Secret they are not YA although none of them are extremely graphic as far as sex other than one disturbing scene in Daughter of the Forest. The romance is a BIG part of the books. The Sevenwaters series is not the same two people all the way through but rather a different couple's story in each book - all from the family of Sevenwaters. Characters of course remain but the two main characters will be someone else's LOVE story.

The Bridei Chronicles are definitely historical. I don't want to say they are like the Arthur legend because they are far different, but the theme of a boy raised by a Druid for some special reason he does not understand and destined to be a king is there. The best way for me to explain them and the Sevenwaters books is that they are in a time (4th or 5th century) when people really believed in the fey and in the even older religion and the Goddess and there really were Druids. In these books they are all real (who are we to say they were not?). They they take place in Ireland and Britain in a historical time which is pretty well researched. Bridei is based on a king mentioned in the history of that time. Wolfskin and Foxmask are more about Vikings and that area but also are historical and romances.

message 20: by Gaile, co-librarian (last edited Mar 03, 2011 04:29PM) (new)

I'm going to have to check out Juliet Marillier!

message 21: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited Mar 03, 2011 04:34PM) (new)

Hi Terry-
As to book nomination - you just did it! All I need is a recommendation with a justification of why it would suits us. Excellent job!
I think these series might be excellent additions to our "Dark ages" shelf. Thanks so much for telling us about them!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 27 comments That was easy! A Facebook friend told me about them last year and I am eternally grateful. Not to mention Juliet Marillier (who is from Australia) is wonderful on Facebook and answers questions and discusses the stories.

message 23: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Thanks TerrY!

I'll contact her and see if she might like to drop by our group as well.

message 24: by Jill (new)

Jill Hi Emery
I have a nomination for the RH pnr shelf - Nell by Jeanette Baker.

This is similar to the Susanna Kearsley books already mentioned. Two timelines (20thC and 16thC); two love stories; plenty of historical details; beautifully written.

message 25: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Thanks Jill! I've added this title to our shelf.

message 26: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 18 comments No, Sandi, I wasn't aware there was a sequel. Thank you for telling me about it. Is it as good as the oroginal?

Sandi wrote: "It is good Sherry! have you read the sequel?From Time to Time by Jack FinneyFrom Time to Time"

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Sherry wrote: "No, Sandi, I wasn't aware there was a sequel. Thank you for telling me about it. Is it as good as the oroginal?

Sandi wrote: "It is good Sherry! have you read the sequel?[bookcover:From Time to Ti..."

sorry I didnt get back to you Sherry..didnt get a notifaction..I liked the sequel..but the 1st was better..I aways like a sequel that brings a proper "ending" so yes it did that for me.

message 28: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hi Everyone-

Both Jewel and Terry have recently nominated books by Juliet Marillier particularly the SEVENWATERS series.Daughter of the Forest so I invited Ms. Marillier to join us. Please be looking for her post under our resident authors section ,and feel free to ask about her books!

message 29: by Beth (new)

Beth Emery wrote: "Hi Everyone-

Both Jewel and Terry have recently nominated books by Juliet Marillier particularly the SEVENWATERS series.Daughter of the Forest so I invited Ms. Marillier to join us...."

The Sevenwaters books are fabulous! Particularly the first three, although the two most recent are lovely as well. Daughter of the Forest is one of my favorite novels. Definitely historical and romantic.

message 30: by Jewel (new)

Jewel | 40 comments I have already read all of her books, I have to say I have enjoyed most of them.
She is active in replaying to posts in her facebook page, it would be lovely to have here.

message 31: by Noelle (new)

Noelle Pierce (selestiele) | 2 comments I'd like to nominate Zoe Archer's Blades of the Rose series for this shelf. They're historical adventure paranormal romance (and they're set in untraditional places, which is a bonus). The paranormal aspect is magic. I've only read the first one so far Warrior, but I'm dying to get to the other three.

message 32: by Linda (new)

Linda Banche (lindabanche) | 7 comments Gaile wrote: "I mostly go for time travel, I especially like characters that switch in time like Confessions Of A Jane Austen Addict. I also like it when the main character has the gift of sight. Witchcraft when..."

Gaile, I have a Regency time travel, LADY OF THE STARS, which the EPIC EBook contest considered science fiction romance.

You might want to take a look at Science Fiction Romance when you look for time travels.

message 33: by Linda (new)

Linda Banche (lindabanche) | 7 comments Noelle wrote: "I'd like to nominate Zoe Archer's Blades of the Rose series for this shelf. They're historical adventure paranormal romance (and they're set in untraditional places, which is a bonus). The paranor..."

I've read all four of them and I LOVE them. Romance, history, adventure, kick-butt women and men who like them that way. My kind of books!

message 34: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Hi Linda and Noele-
I have added Zoe Archer's BLADES OF THE ROSE SERIES to our romantic historical paranormal shelf. Thanks for telling us about these!

message 35: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Linda wrote: "Gaile wrote: "I mostly go for time travel, I especially like characters that switch in time like Confessions Of A Jane Austen Addict. I also like it when the main character has the gift of sight. W..."

I put it on my TBR list.

message 36: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Has anyone read Mary Stewarts' The Prince and the Pilgrim (Arthurian Saga, #5) by Mary Stewart ? I read her earlier Arthurian series but had never seen this one. It looks like a potential candiate for our shelf.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Emery wrote: "Has anyone read Mary Stewarts' The Prince and the Pilgrim (Arthurian Saga, #5) by Mary Stewart? I read her earlier Arthurian series but had never seen this one. It looks like a potential candiate for our shelf."

It does look interesting Emery...reviews seem to be alot of 2-3 stars? maybe the series lost the magic along the way? I havent read the others in this series were they good?

message 38: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

I read the entire series when I was in high school and loved it, but that was almost 30 years ago! Mary Stewart was one of my favorite authors back then- along with Nora Lofts, Victoria Holt, Georgette Heyer and a few others. I don't know if I would feel the same now or not.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Emery wrote: "I read the entire series when I was in high school and loved it, but that was almost 30 years ago! Mary Stewart was one of my favorite authors back then- along with Nora Lofts, Victoria Holt, Georg..."

I agree all of these great authors & books! I wonder if these early Arthurian series would be easy to find? Or maybe the library would have them?

message 40: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (new)

Sandi wrote: "Emery wrote: "I read the entire series when I was in high school and loved it, but that was almost 30 years ago! Mary Stewart was one of my favorite authors back then- along with Nora Lofts, Victor..."

Hi Sandi-
I think most libraries would have Mary Stewart.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Emery wrote: "Sandi wrote: "Emery wrote: "I read the entire series when I was in high school and loved it, but that was almost 30 years ago! Mary Stewart was one of my favorite authors back then- along with Nora..."

Thanks Emery..III check it out..

message 42: by Mar (new)

Mar | 19 comments paranormal is odd.... you must have the right touch to pull it off. otherwise it can be a farce and id like reading a trainwreck. Time travel is cool. but, when people start turning into animals etc., i am lost and on to the next book.....

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments I agree with you Marmar on the people turning into animals..I cant get into a woman falling for a wolf/man or any other "change into animal thing"..dosent do it for me.

message 44: by Mar (new)

Mar | 19 comments Thank you, Sandi. It's good to know i'm not alone in that thought. I can live with magic, ESP or things like that..... just please stay away from turning into a werewolf, lion, etc.

message 45: by Mar (new)

Mar | 19 comments Emery wrote: "Ditto for me. I think I came across an erotic romance once that involved a changling dragon- no thanks!"
though dragons, werewolves, etc can be fascinating..... not when discussing romance. super glad it's not just me. but, there is a market for it. to each their own.... condemnation free zone, here. :)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) | 133 comments Sometimes its hard to know with paranormal..I get a book..its sounds good..then realize its about werewolves..Im ok with other stuff dont even mind a vampire theme..and its disapointing when a series started out without the "changing" and then goes into it..and demons & goblins?..nope..I dont find them romantic!

message 47: by Mar (new)

Mar | 19 comments demons and goblins..... agreed! totally unromantic.

message 48: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Samuel (barbarasamuel) | 2 comments I haven't seen anyone mention Anya Seton's GREEN DARKNESS, which is one of my top ten books of all time. I also love Barbara Erskine's Lady of Hay, and Ferney, by James Long.

And not everyone loves a ghost story, but I adore Bledding Sorrow, by Marilyn Harris. Very scary but very romantic.

message 49: by Gaile, co-librarian (new)

Green Darkness is also my favorite time travel book but I don't know if Emery Lee wants to list it.

message 50: by Emery, GROUP FOUNDER (last edited May 13, 2011 09:58AM) (new)

@ Gaile and Barbara-
I just checked and I added this book to our group shelf on July 14, 2010. Yes- it would certainly fit our time travel and paranormal catagory. Thanks for the nomination. Green Darkness by Anya Seton

« previous 1