New Yorkers discussion

NYC Bookstores

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Elizabeth I'm new to the group. This is my third year living in New York, but being a student, I am only just discovering the city. I have a job in Greenpoint, I have classes near Lincoln Center and I live in the Bronx. Pretty intense, I know. Anyway, I was just wondering what everyone's favorite bookstores are in the city. Any small or large favorites??

message 2: by L (last edited Feb 28, 2011 07:15AM) (new)

L (lexlib) | 2 comments There's a great independent bookstore in the West Village called bookbook. It's not particularly close to any of the places you listed, but it's one of my favorites.... Seems like every time I go in there, I find a book that I've been unable to find anywhere else.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Elizabeth Hahahaha these area all great suggestions, and I don't mind the travel. I definitely mentioned it so that every New Yorker here could appreciate how worldly (here meaning "New Yorker-y") I seem to be on a daily basis. haha

I love the Strand and Books of Wonder, the children's book store. I also was a huge fan of the Barnes and Noble that was across from the Lincoln Center plaza. UNFORTUNATELY, I've just learned that it's closed down in favor of a new Century 21. Blegh! lol

But this morning I went to the barnes and noble on 82nd and broadway. Not to sound like the chain store queen because believe me I'm not, but that B&N is my new favorite of the chain.

message 4: by Amy (last edited Mar 01, 2011 11:34AM) (new)

Amy (nycbookworm07) | 6 comments That's what's replacing the Lincoln Ctr location?! Sad. At least there are more locations. I'm a big fan of Barnes & Noble (I'm actually a member!), but there is also a lovely bookstore in the SoHo area calling The Housing Works Bookstore (http://bit.ly/gzZgaM) on Crosby street. Check that one out.

@Jenny - That place sounds wonderful! I am definitely going to stop by sometime. :)

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4 comments I second Housing Works. It's honestly my favorite bookstore in New York. They host all kinds of interesting readings, the cafe has alcohol, and most of the workers there are volunteers. Plus, it's a great place to people watch as well. On the first weekend of the every month, everything is 30% off as well. The books are always well-priced. It's usually difficult for me to not walk out of there without $20 worth of books and other stuff. You can also find things that you'd never find anywhere else. For instance, on one visit I found a box of greek art prints from the Swathmore Library. On another visit, I got a book of Irving Berlin's accordion sheet music. Awesome, no!?

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Elizabeth Sarah wrote: "Hahahaha these area all great suggestions, and I don't mind the travel. I definitely mentioned it so that every New Yorker here could appreciate how worldly (here meaning "New Yorker-y") I seem to ..."

That's just what I've heard, Amy, so don't quote me on it. But anything replacing the Lincoln Center B&N and thus destroying one of my favorite places in NYC is just a travesty that cannot be endured. Okay yes, I'm being grossly overdramatic, but I've been reading a lot of Jane Austen lately, so please forgive. :)

message 7: by Anaiya (new)

Anaiya | 1 comments Sarah wrote: "Hahahaha these area all great suggestions, and I don't mind the travel. I definitely mentioned it so that every New Yorker here could appreciate how worldly (here meaning "New Yorker-y") I seem to ..."

NOOOOOOOO THEY CLOSED THE B&N FOR A CENTURY 21!!!!???? That's terrible!

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4 comments Housing Works will be having an open air book sale as well. Books are $1. Check it out!!!
http://www.housingworks.org/events/de...

message 9: by David (new)

David (daviddiller) | 1 comments The Westsider Bookstore. Broadway and 81st (across from Zabars). Have tons of used paperbacks $4-$8.

message 10: by Noreen (new)

Noreen The Center for Fiction has a great bookstore on the ground floor at 17 East 47th between Madison and Fifth. A carefully curated selection of new fiction, beautiful cards, cool tee-shirts in the front, and in the back hundreds of used books (all recent donations from publishers and writers). New Books are 25% off cover price, used books are $4 hardcover, $2 trade paperback.

Also love McNally Jackson at 52 Prince Street.

message 11: by Amy (new)

Amy (nycbookworm07) | 6 comments Noreen wrote: "The Center for Fiction has a great bookstore on the ground floor at 17 East 47th between Madison and Fifth. A carefully curated selection of new fiction, beautiful cards, cool tee-shirts in the fro..."

I've never heard of this place. So glad you shared this info!

message 12: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4 comments I don't know if anyone mentioned bluestockings, but it's a feminist bookstore way downtown in Manhattan. The selection isn't that big, but it's interesting. The vibe is definitely relaxed. When I went years ago, they had a nice cafe with many different kinds of teas.
http://bluestockings.com/

message 13: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (confidenceinrain) | 5 comments David wrote: "The Westsider Bookstore. Broadway and 81st (across from Zabars). Have tons of used paperbacks $4-$8."

Ahh I love the Westsider! My dad is a musician and he says they have a sister store that's a record store somewhere near there as well, but I've never been. Although the Westsider has a fair number of vintage records as well.

I love the Strand as well but who doesn't?

I grew up in Nyack, which is north of the city, but if you're among the hordes of bicyclists that go up there on the weekend stop by Pickwick Books. Used and new books kind of organized in a haphazard manner...I love it.

message 14: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary O'Brien (rosemaryobrien) | 1 comments Any more? I'm looking for NYC indies to host my book signings. It's such a sad state of affairs when indie bookstores are few and far between. :(

R

message 15: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman Noreen wrote: "The Center for Fiction has a great bookstore on the ground floor at 17 East 47th between Madison and Fifth. A carefully curated selection of new fiction, beautiful cards, cool tee-shirts in the fro..."

I recommended it as a place for a future meet-up, but they're closed on Sundays.

message 16: by Robert (new)

Robert | 1 comments Rosemary wrote: "Any more? I'm looking for NYC indies to host my book signings. It's such a sad state of affairs when indie bookstores are few and far between. :(

R"

There is an independent bookstore in Ridgewood, Queens called Topos. They do occasionally host author readings and signings.