Canada House discussion

Hello! My name is...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynda (last edited Feb 27, 2011 06:43PM) (new)

Lynda | 32 comments Mod
Lynda. I've been a member of Goodreads since 2009 and am a regular participant in The Seasonal Reading Challenge. I created this group because I feel like I've been (unintentionally) avoiding CanLit for some reason. I thought it would be nice to show Canada some love and to create a space where people (you don't have to be made in Canada!) could discuss the good, the bad and the mundane of reading modern Canadian Literature.

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I'm Leslie. I've been reading far too few Canadian writers in recent years, and it's time to redress the balance. So I look forward to reading together and reminding myself how many great writers and great books we have.

message 3: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 32 comments Mod
Hi Leslie,

Welcome. I'm really excited about Canada House. The books that are currently listed as to-read for March are some of my library requests that recently became available for pick up. I have also placed holds on The Complete Essex County , Water for Elephants , The Best Laid Plans and The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. Let me know which titles you are most interested in reading and I'll move them to the top of my to-read list.

message 4: by VWrulesChick (new)

VWrulesChick Hey Lynda - thanks for the invite. Interesting books on your TBA shelf.

Greetings Leslie !! I know what you mean - I currently have two goals which is reading more classics, as well as, reading more Canadian literature by local personalities. hehe

Look forward to discussing with the group. :)

message 5: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 32 comments Mod
Greetings VWrulesChick!

If there are any books you would like to read next month, let me know and I can add them to April's to-read shelf. Depending on the number of suggestions, I could also create a poll :)

message 6: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Reid | 1 comments Hi Panda!! Found your group and become a member today :) We ordered a bunch of the Canadian lit books we had talked about and they arrived last week. I just started reading again since the move and I have a lot on my to read list. I can't believe it's been so long since I've read a real book. I will add the Canada reads winners to keep me feeling Canadian while living far away :) Hope you and your person can come visit someday...... We must video chat this weekend to catch up. Hugs
Tammy

message 7: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 32 comments Mod
Hey Girl,

Inadvertently selected poetic novels about tragic childhoods for March's Group Reads. Palate is in need of a good cleansing. Any suggestions for April's to-read shelf?

Return Hugs,
Lynda

message 8: by Mikela (new)

Mikela Hi, my name is Mikela and I like the idea of a smaller group reading and actually discussing Canadian fiction and authors. What I found amazing is that many of the books that I have read in the past, like Little Brother, were written by Canadians. Much to learn. Hope I will be able to contribute to your group.