The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > Renting books?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) I heard of a site called http://www.booksfree.com where you can rent books and send them back, sort of like Netflix.

I was wondering- does anyone know of a similar site for ebooks? Or a similar site to this one? Also, has anyone used booksfree- would you recommend it?

Thanks for any help!

message 2: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) I have a booksfree account, and I absolutely love it. They send you the books in a pouch-type envelope, and include the same sort of envelope to mail it back. It's awesome.

I'd love to know of one for ebooks as well though!

message 3: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice This sounds great. But approximately how much does it cost to rent a book? Do you have to pay for the postage also?

message 4: by Stacey (new)

Stacey (stacita) I used booksfree for a while several years ago. At least at the time, the postage back and forth was pre-paid as part of the subscription cost - pretty much exactly like Netflix for books.

It was a great idea, but for me, the selection wasn't great for my preferred genres of reading so I wound up cancelling my subscription. I keep meaning to check them out again though to see what sort of selection they have these days.

message 5: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) I haven't ordered any for a while (I've been trying to save cash...wedding's ain't cheap!) so my subscription is on hold, but as far as I can remember, when you pay the subscription you pay th postage.

As far as prices,
http://booksfree.com/available_plans....

If you go there, it lets you decide which plan is best for you and tells you how much it will cost. I pay 10.99 a month for 1-2 books.

message 6: by Shae (new)

Shae | 23 comments I rent ebooks from my library. There is a wait for books but it is worth it :)

message 7: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) Shae wrote: "I rent ebooks from my library. There is a wait for books but it is worth it :)"

How do you do that? Does your library have a webpage or something that you can download them?

message 8: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice I didn't realize that libraries rented ebooks. I thought that you could just borrow the ebooks. ?

message 9: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (queenofegypt) ♥Meagan♥ wrote: "I heard of a site called http://www.booksfree.com where you can rent books and send them back, sort of like Netflix.

I was wondering- does anyone know of a similar site for ebooks? Or a similar ..."

Try this if you have a Kindle:
http://booklending.com/

message 10: by Krys (new)

Krys Booksfree.com sounds cool, but I'm kind of curious about the appeal of such a program. Why not just use the library and inter-library loan?

I heard about something similar to Booksfree and Netflix once, but it was for audio book. I can't remember what it was called.

I haven't ever heard of renting an ebook ... borrowing from the Library, yes, but not renting. Hmmmm.

message 11: by Shae (new)

Shae | 23 comments Ok so I said rent instead of borrow. I "borrow" ebooks from the library.

message 12: by Krys (new)

Krys Shae wrote: "Ok so I said rent instead of borrow. I "borrow" ebooks from the library."

Izzokay. All cleared up now. :o)

message 13: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (andyyy) | 117 comments Krystal wrote: "Booksfree.com sounds cool, but I'm kind of curious about the appeal of such a program. Why not just use the library and inter-library loan?"

Plenty of people don't live near a library and even more live near ones that don't have an inter-library loan programme.

message 14: by Krys (new)

Krys Andreea wrote:
"Plenty of people don't live near a library and even more live near ones that don't have an inter-library loan programme."

*headslap* Oh. Duh. That makes sense. I've lived in a number of itsy bitsy towns, but they've usually had some kind of library (often just one or two rooms in an old house, but still--a library). If we couldn't get what we needed at the tiny library, we'd make a special trip to a larger town that had a larger library. So the idea that people might not live within driving distance of a library didn't occur to me.

message 15: by Dero (new)

Dero I have used Booksfree for about six years now. I used to have a membership with audio and paperback books but since my commute has stopped, I am back to only paperbacks. I absolutely love it. For about $17 per month I can read as many books as I can. I get 4 and read 2 and send back so that I always have 2 new books. I share my membership with my mom and she uses it more than I do now.

message 16: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) What a great idea! Thanks for sharing! I'm one of those that lives near a library and I utilize it as much as possible, but my library will only loan within its county system (not a true inter-library loan system).

Unfortunately for me that means I don't have unlimited access to titles.

I can't go outside the county system, bc libraries require you to show prove of where you live.

I will definitely have to check this site out. Thanks again!

message 17: by Danie (new)

Danie (heyydanie) Kristi wrote: "What a great idea! Thanks for sharing! I'm one of those that lives near a library and I utilize it as much as possible, but my library will only loan within its county system (not a true inter-libr..."

Same here. I can go to the neighboring counties and go to their libraries with my card, but I can only check two books out at a time.

message 18: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicasey) Really? Hmmm, maybe I'll have to see if they do that here. That would be great, even if it is only 2 books. It's usually just one or two that I just can't find at my library.