Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2011 > Cynthia's List - 50 Books for 2011

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alara (new)

Alara (gaelen) Hi! Here is my 50 books I've been reading in 2011 list. Feel free to add me as a friend and discuss. My first goal was 30 but I changed it to 50.

message 2: by Alara (last edited Feb 27, 2011 06:39AM) (new)

Alara (gaelen) 1. The Leopard Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt, 4/5

I liked this book but not one of my favourites. It's also the first Hoyt book I've read. TLP is the vice versa of Jane Eyre; a noblewoman falls in love with her servant. Some parts of this book seemed unrealistic to me, but I enjoyed the book.

I was going to buy the Serpent Prince also, but when I wrote my thoughts about this book on Facebook ("i liked it but Some parts seemed unrealistic to me"), Mrs. Hoyt deleted my comment. So I won't buy any book of Elizabeth Hoyt for a while.

message 3: by Alara (new)

Alara (gaelen) 2. The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer, 3/5

It was written in 1934, so the book doesn't have any erotic scenes or abuses. This book tells us a growing, innocent love between a young, 17-year-old girl and a rich, 35-year old nobleman. The book is quite good but not the best of historical romance.

If you want to read a heart-warming historical romance book which doesn't have erotic scenes, try Georgette Heyer.

message 4: by Alara (new)

Alara (gaelen) 3. The Bride by Julie Garwood, 5/5

I must thank Romance Readers Reading Challenges group, they made me read this fabulous book. This is the first Julie Garwood book I've read, and it became one of my favourites.

Most historical romance books take place in Victorian or Regency Era Britain. But this books starts in 1100, and continues in 1102 England/Scotland. It's really good to read books that takes place in Scotland.

The dialogues between hero and heroine were well written. I liked them both. Most HR heroines are strong women but in this book, even though Jamie is a strong and different girl, she's quite afraid of her new husband and his companions. So that makes book more realistic.

message 5: by Alara (new)

Alara (gaelen) 4. 4:50 from Paddington by Agatha Christie, 3/5

This is my least favourite Christie book. It was not bad but it isn't good as other books. The book was so long and we learnt the killer in last 5 pages. FIVE?! wtf. The book was quite boring.

My favourite Agatha Christie book; Ten Little Niggers

message 6: by Alara (new)

Alara (gaelen) 5. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, 3/5

This book was OK.

The beginning was quite good, I was wondering the rest of the story. Details were well written. But when the hero meets Englishman and The Alchemist, I was bored. I don't like "listen to your heart, follow dreams, friendship, love" thingy in books. I'm not pessimistic but they seem unrealistic and fake to me. A book or a story should give these messages secretly.

Lots of people read and like The Alchemist, they say "omg book of my life, the best" etc. But after I read it, I realised they exaggerated. And I found out that there are people who don't like this book.

I'm planning to read other Coelho books though.

message 7: by Alara (new)

Alara (gaelen) 6. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, 5/5

I finished this book two days ago. And I was like "OH MY GOODNESS".

I like reading alternative universe/worlds' books. Sometimes we're bored of our world and want to visit another. I loved this book but the dystopia in this book is teribble. I'm glad that I won't experience that.

The book is well written. There are loooong paragraphs but I wasn't bored in a single chapter (page!).

It's really similar to Battle Royale but the system in Hunger Games is quite simple, so you might enjoy the book without thinking about the details.

This book made me happy, angry, anxious, jealous and grateful.

READ.

message 8: by Alara (new)

Alara (gaelen) 7. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, 5/5

This book is continuation of The Hunger Games. The book's like a connection between the first and the third (last) book. Not good as THG but still exciting.

I shocked when I read the last sentence of the book.

I must read the third book, Mockingjay as soon as possible.

message 9: by Alara (new)

Alara (gaelen) 8. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, 5/5

This book was different from other two, but I'm still enjoyed. Not satisfied with the ending of the series though, but I liked the theme author tries to explain;

"War. War never changes."

So my point would be 4/5 but Collins perfectly handled the subject.

message 10: by Alara (new)

Alara (gaelen) 9. Rebel Angels by Libba Bray, 3/5

I liked the theme of the series (historical, paranormal), but in my opinion, Libba Bray's writing skills isn't good. Her writing style reminds me Stephenie Meyer's, and I don't like her either.

This book was kinda enjoyable to read but it was too long.

message 11: by Alara (last edited Apr 15, 2011 03:54AM) (new)

Alara (gaelen) 10. Chosen by PC Cast & Kristin Cast, 3/5

Even though I'm not obsessed with House of Night series, I liked the writing style a lot. I guess that's why I read HoN. When I read first two books, I was disappointed. My expectations were too high. This book was quite better than the other two, but not incredibly good. I'll read next books though, I wonder what will happen next.