Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > Sisters Red - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments This thread is for the discussion of:
Sisters Red by: Jackson Pearce Sisters Red (Sisters Red, #1) by Jackson Pearce to begin in March.

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I thought this one was cute. Loved the sister's relationship, but did get mad at Scarlett for not getting why Rosie wanted a more normal life. I figured out what was going to happen with Silas, both parts, right away. I liked the ending because it seemed like everyone got what they wanted.

I do think it was a slower read though, I could only read 75 pages at a time before switching to a different book.

I do think it will be interesting to see where things go from here.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I will be starting this one this week.

message 4: by Jess (last edited Mar 06, 2011 07:05AM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Okay I just finished this one this morning and I ending up liking it. It was a fast paced read and it kept my interest throughout.

What I did like was the alternating POV's throughout the book because I actually disliked Scarlett. I thought she was really egotistical and couldn't see past her own issues and understand why her sister might not want to be a hunter her whole life. She just became tiring to listen to. So I was glad for that whole side story about Rosie and her classes and her relationship with Silas.

I also am interested in seeing where the next book goes because the end of this felt really final. I don't know if that was just me that felt that way?

edit: I just read the description of the next book and it is a re-make of Hansel and Gretel.. so it's going to be different.

message 5: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Jess I looked to see what the next book was and found this, Sweetly (Sisters Red, #2) by Jackson Pearce , which takes on a whole new fairy tale. So the finality of the book makes sense.

I also agree with you about Scarlett. It makes a person wonder what she would have been like had she not been attacked.

message 6: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah she was very unlikeable, and the ending was really sad for her I think. I mean on one hand she seemed happy to be fighting again, but also very lonely on the other.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments This was an interesting take on an old fairy tale and I kinda liked it. The ending was a little predictable. I figured out the Silas and 7th son of a 7th son thing. Also, I liked the idea that Scarlett and Rosie were almost two sides of the same coin. Scarlett was hard, bitter and scarred (inside and out) whereas Rosie was softer, kinder and gentler. I didn't really dislike Scarlett because I felt that she was a balance to Rosie. It seemed more like a fable with a lesson (reiterated with the cave story). So, I guess I saw them more as ideas and less characters.

I will be interested to see what happens with the next book with the Hansel and Gretel tale.

message 8: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Sarah wrote: "I figured out the Silas and 7th son of a 7th son thing"

I agree with you that, that one was easy to see miles ahead of time.

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments @Sarah, that's a good point about the sisters balancing eachother out. I didn't really think of it from that perspective.

message 10: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I think Rosie is who Scarlett would have been had she not been attacked.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments I made about 30% through before I stopped...I love fairy tales and many of the make overs but this one just did not do it for me......

message 12: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Sorry you didn't like it Nichole!

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments eh...not every book is for every person...I will try reading it again sometime just to make sure it is not a "reading mood" thing...

the really cool thing about the BOM's and the AOM's is that more often then not I find a new book or author so it all works out in the end ;-)

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I often wonder if I dislike (or like) books because of my mood. I've re-read books to make sure sometimes lol.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments on the subject of fairy tales done over and Red Riding Hood.....Saw the movie last night...it was pretty good

message 16: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Anyone else read this one yet?

message 17: by Jacy (new)

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments I'm about half way through...it's a little different for me, but I find it hard to put down. I'm liking it so far. I'll let you know what I think when I'm done.

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Glad to hear you are liking it so far Jacy! Yeah, let us know what you think of it when you finish.

message 19: by Jacy (new)

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments I agree that it was very predictable. But I was shocked that Jacob was the first son...I had assumed that the first son had died or something. I don't know why I didn't think of Jacob with the whole inheritance thing. I have to say that while I found Scarlett annoying, I also understand her. She sees herself as the protector and wishes there was more for her, but at the same time can't let go of the pain and the scars only reminder her that she can never be anything more. I also don't think that Silas settled for Rosie. He loves Scarlett but knows he can never be what she wants, so he moves on and it's natural that Rosie be the one. Overall, I enjoyed the book and will be reading the next one.

message 20: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Jacy wrote: "But I was shocked that Jacob was the first son...I had assumed that the first son had died or something."

I agree with you there. For some reason that one came out of left field for me.

message 21: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments @Jacy - Yeah I can understand what you mean about Scarlett seeing herself as the protector but not being able to let go of the past.

But I think what bothered me was that Scarlett expected her sister to fight with her against the monsters but didn't want her to hunt alone. But then, she became angry when Rosie wanted to do something else besides hunt. So obviously she was afraid of Rosie getting hurt, but didn't want to be alone. I don't know, Scarlett was just a mess of contradictions.

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments Jess wrote: "Scarlett was just a mess of contradictions. ..."

I almost felt like that is exactly what the author intended. It left me with an unsettled feeling. I wasn't really sure where I stood with the characters, but, overall, the story was ok. You know how some books are a labor of love and some books are written for readers? This book seemed like it was a very personal accomplishment for the author, not necessarily like it was written with the readers in mind.

I don't know if that makes sense... :)

message 23: by Jacy (new)

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments @Jess...I think that was the point...because she protects everyone, she already sees herself as an outsider and Rosie is beautiful and can be part "Dragonfly" and that makes her more alone. So she fights every thing that takes Silas and Rosie away. They fit into the world where she stands outside of it. If that makes any sense. I think my biggest problem was that she was so selfish, thinking Rosie owed her because she saved her life...even though she saved her because she loved her and there shouldn't have been strings attached.

@Sarah...I totally agree that this was more for the author than the readers. She said in her acknowledgments that "...writing my second--Sisters Red--was near impossible." It makes me think that she worked very hard to make it more than just a story and that the characters were more than just persons on a page to her.

message 24: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments @Sarah - it made total sense and I think you might be right! Especially in light of what Jacy just said about the acknowledgments page.

@Jacy - Yeah there shouldn't have been strings attached, that was definitely another thing that bothered me about Scarlett.

Maybe the author intentionally wrote such an ambiguous character so that people would debate over it. Who knows?

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments Jess wrote: "Maybe the author intentionally wrote such an ambiguous character so that people would debate over it."

I think she did. It kinda felt like a throwback to Aesop. I was trying to think of what the story reminded me of and it just hit me. My grandma has this huge hardcover compilation of Aesop tales...