Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives - '11 - '12 > Unlcean Spirits - Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments This thread is for the discussion of:
Unclean Spirits by: M.L.N. Hanover Unclean Spirits (The Black Sun's Daughter, #1) by M.L.N. Hanover to begin in March.

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I wasn't too sure what to think about this book at first, but was interested enough to keep going, then all of a sudden it sucked me in and I had a hard time putting it down.

I liked Jayne, she seemed like a lost soul. Her comment about Eric dying couldn't have come at a better time made me really like her. I knew she wasn't trying to be mean, just that her life was in such a mess. Her finding out that Eric left everything to her was interesting and funny at times. Her way of dealing with things seemed like what a normal person would do, her out of control shopping spree cracked me up, along with her learning to go to people for help and let them do the dirty work, like the lawyer.

I thought it was great that she surrounded herself with people that seemed to be on the same path as her. Her band of misfits, because they all clearly were, seemed to work. I liked each one for what he brought to the table. As more and more people were added it was interesting to see what they brought to help out, as it seemed every place she looked there was someone to help out.

I also liked the end scene where Jayne is all in and looking to build her team. I can't wait for the next book to see what craziness is heading her way!!

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah I really enjoyed this book as well when I read it. I thought it was an interesting concept for this whole secretive world that Jayne knew nothing about and yet now had to essentially take over.

The next book was just as good!

message 4: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Jess wrote: "The next book was just as good!"

For sure, but the 3rd book was even better!

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I haven't gotten a hold of it yet :(

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments I liked the first book. I thought the whole "riders" premise was interesting and the cast of characters was great. Book two was much better for me and I have the third book (though I have to get through some library books before tackling that one). When I find myself talking to Jayne, I realize that it must be a good book! Oh, and I don't know why, but I'm just not sold on Aubrey. Let's give Ex a chance!!

One thing that really bothered me about the second book (I didn't notice it in the first book as much) was the constant foreshadowing. I got it. I didn't need everything pointed out.

It was a nice UF break from some of the PNR books that I've been reading.

message 7: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Sarah wrote: "Oh, and I don't know why, but I'm just not sold on Aubrey. Let's give Ex a chance!!"

I am so with you on this one. For some reason I really can't stand Aubrey!

I also really like Chogoi (sp) Jake too. His talks with Jayne usually are good for a laugh as he constantly makes her think.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments I'm like the whole crew, but there's just something off about Aubrey. I'm not sure if it was the whole "I'm married, but separated" thing (BEFORE a date would be an appropriate time to address this matter...). THAT irritated me immensely. Oh, it's been so long that I just forgot. Give me a break. You know if you're married. Just my opinion.

Haha - I guess that means the book is good if I'm that into a character's choices.

On a side note, I could totally tell that this was written by a man. Not sure why it stuck out to me (not in a bad way). I always have to Google a new author to read their bio and get a list of their published works.

message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm married, but separated" thing (BEFORE a date would be an appropriate time to address this matter...)."

That was my thoughts too, and it automatically makes you not like him.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments I started this one last night and am really liking it so far....very different from many of the other books I have been reading

message 11: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I personally like Ex.. and would like to see some more of him with Jayne.

There's definitely something off about Aubrey. I never liked him.

message 12: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I do have to say that while I don't like Aubrey, I do feel sorry for him after the 3rd book.

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments I finishes this one last night and really liked it...I can't wait to start the second one....

Like most of you, I am not fond of Aubrey...he seems a bit wishy washy....

message 14: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Anyone else read this one yet?

message 15: by Kenna (new)

Kenna (kennas) I read it about 2 years ago and remember liking it a lot. Ive been following this thread to see what others thought and realized that there are several things about the book that I forgot to remember. Perhaps Ill reread it tomorrow.

message 16: by Jacy (new)

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments I'm working on it now...should be done in a few days...I have to take care of my kids too :)

message 17: by Jacy (new)

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments I really enjoyed the book. I couldn't put it down. My favorite character, other than Jayne, would have to be Ex. I just felt like Jayne was blind and should have looked to Ex rather than Aubery.

Like most of you, I was upset by the whole "we're separated...we just never filed" bs. Your either married or your not...not really any room for discussions. I understand the whole idea of separation, but in essence they are still married. It made me think that Aubery was a selfish ass and only wanted to get in her pants and knew it wouldn't happen if he said anything about Kim.

I loved the "family" that Jayne created for herself and can't wait to continue on with the series. I hope that they all have many more adventures. It would be a shame if this stopped at two books.

message 18: by Jacy (new)

Jacy (jazabell) | 214 comments Just found out that there are three books out. Book two is Darker Angels and book three is Vicious Grace, which came out Nov. last year.

message 19: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments You just reminded me that I still have to read Vicious Grace.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_anne) | 253 comments I have it on my bookshelf, but have a stack of library books to get to first (the downside of actually buying a book)!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Unclean Spirits (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

M.L.N. Hanover (other topics)