Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Beach Reads?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments I am looking for some good beach reads. I love good literature, but don't want anything too heavy. I love good family Sagas- I just really enjoyed Follett's Pillars of the Earth, but I am hoping for something a little lighter. I don't mind the odd chick lit novel- I enjoyed the shopaholic books, but don't want anything too light.

Does anyone have suggestions of books somewhere in between? I like YA lit too.

What do you like to read at the beach? Thanks

message 2: by Monica (new)

Monica (monnieh722) I feel the same way about summer beach reads! Nothing too heavy! And sorry if I overload you with books! I teach during the year so summer time is my reading time! :)

-Anything by Sarah Dessen is good. Here books are YA lit. The stories are cute. And nothing too heavy!

-I am not a big fan of James Patterson but his Woman's Murder Club series is actually pretty good. They are light, quick reads.

-The Tripod Trilogy by John Christopher is a YA version of War of the Worlds. It is a 3 book series. Very good!

-The Bridget Jones books are a light and quarky read!

-Marley and Me is a super cute read!

-Harlen Coben's books are a good, quick read for the beach! That is actually where I found his books!

-Nancy Werlin is a YA author. The story lines are kinda cheesy but I couldn't put her books down!!

I hope this helps! Sorry if I overloaded you! Enjoy! :D

message 3: by NATUI (new)

NATUI | 63 comments I hit the beach not that long ago and read 24-Karat Kids. It was very light, poolside read. I have a few other suggestions but can't get my reviews to show for me! :(

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Hmmm... Beach reads should be something light, not too complicated, emotion wrought or thought provoking so they don't interfer with the beach nap or get you so involved you forget about sunscreen. I like authors like Charlaine Harris or Katie Macalister for that kind of reading. If you're not adverse to YA reads I've been enjoying Jessica Day George's books.

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan Lyons | 83 comments Thanks very much everyone!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stie (michellestie-buckles) | 192 comments Charlaine Harris is a good suggestion. What about something like Jennifer Weiner's "Good in Bed" (much less risque than it sounds)? Then there's always Danielle Steele....

message 7: by Nance (new)

Nance (nabpurple12) | 279 comments A Kristin Hannah book is always a good beach read...in fact, my mother is in Florida right now, and she went down there with Firefly Lane, and she loved it. Here's a few of her other books if you're interested Winter Garden, Angel Falls, On Mystic Lake, and she has a new one coming out on March 22nd, Night Road. Usually a romance with a little bit of a family secret or problem going on. One of my favorite authors!

Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah Angel Falls by Kristin Hannah On Mystic Lake by Kristin Hannah Night Road by Kristin Hannah

message 8: by CynthiaA (new)

CynthiaA (bookthia) Beach reads -- may I suggest you stay away from books that will make you cry. Nothing worse than crying on a beach. Trust me. Been there.

My suggestion for a good beach read is "The Birth House" by Ami McKay or anything by Marian Keyes. Have fun at the beach (wish I was there!).