readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Very specific -- gardening books

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs913) Okay, here's a tough one that can really only be answered by those who have read the books, I think. First, I need a book that discusses composting, but looks at how composting can be used to break down disease infested garden litter (like if you compost leaves with powdery mildew is there a compost process that will kill the spores?)

Second, I want a book about the chemistry of gardening. Not a text book and not really basic. A good, slightly technical overview for an experienced gardener with no chemistry background.

I throw down the gardening glove in challenge...

deb

message 2: by Cassy (new)

Cassy (cassybooks) | 4 comments My mom would know! She taught some classes about composting for her garden club. I'll ask her if she remembers any titles.

message 3: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs913) Thanks Cassy!

message 4: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
i am bumping this in the hopes that someone can help you.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 24 comments I never noticed this thread. I do a lot of gardening and I have read a few books. Personally, I like gardening books for the pictures and the ideas. I like the internet for something nuts and bolts like composting.
I have always read you should not compost disease/insect infested plant material--but some will always slip in anyway.
Your state probably has a university with an extension that posts the latest info on all farming/gardening issues. Do a internet search or call your county.