Reading with Style discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > SP11 20.1 Alliteration

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krista (last edited Feb 26, 2011 05:01PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Oh what the heck, let's add a help folder for this task too. Post questions about this task or suggested books that would work for this task here.
-------------------------
20.1 - Alliteration
Read a book whose title has words that begin with the same consonant or vowel sound. Ex. Rabbit Run, Bag of Bones

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments My plan says Marjorie Morningstar, pub 1955 and 640 pages, will give you 10 extra points for oldie and jumbo.

message 3: by Krista (last edited Feb 26, 2011 04:47PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Do all the words (except the little connecting words) have to start iwth the same letter/sound?

Do we have to inlcude sub-titles when determining whether a book fits?

Would this work?
That Summer in Sicily: A Love Story

-- Or this? ---

Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life

message 4: by Krista (last edited Feb 26, 2011 05:00PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Here are a few more from my TBR pile:

Reservation Road
Song Yet Sung
Star of the Sea
The Sunne in Splendour
The Thirteenth Tale
The Time Travelers: Volume One

I like your idea of Marjorie Morningstar, Elisabeth. I may have to pencil that in for me too. :-}

message 5: by Krista (last edited Feb 26, 2011 05:06PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Wouldn't all of the Sue Grafton "Alphabet" books in the Kinsey Millhone mystery series fit for this task?

A is for Alibi, etc.

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 205 comments Krista wrote: "Do all the words (except the little connecting words) have to start iwth the same letter/sound?

Do we have to inlcude sub-titles when determining whether a book fits?

Would this work?
[boo..."

Alliteration can be separated by a word or two

message 7: by AM10000 (new)

AM10000 | 10 comments I think I might do Exit to Eden by Anne Rampling (Rice)...as long as I'm not past the halfway mark before the 1st.

message 8: by Melissa W (new)

Melissa W (melissawiebe80) Does Deja Dead work?

message 9: by Tobey (new)

Tobey | 241 comments I think I'll try Living Dead in Dallas.

message 10: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Melissa W wrote: "Does Deja Dead work?"

Yep

message 11: by AM10000 (new)

AM10000 | 10 comments Would Their Eyes Were Watching God work? Would the two W's be enough to count, or would there need to be more?

message 12: by Liz M (last edited Apr 18, 2011 10:54AM) (new)

Liz M AM10000 wrote: "Would Their Eyes Were Watching God work? Would the two W's be enough to count, or would there need to be more?"

This is a 20 point task & should be a little harder. So unless Sam overrules me, my general guideline is going to be that all the capitalized words in the title & subtitle should be alliterative (I'll allow one that is not), and subtitles such as "A Novel", or "stories" do not count.

So....

No to
Their Eyes W ere W atching God,
B ird by B ird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
Ten Ways to Be Adored When L anding a L ord
The Complete P oetry of Edgar Allan P oe
Spring Frost, Spring Flowers

Yes to
S trawberry S hortcake Murder,
Blueberry M uffin M urder,
Living D ead in D allas,
S ong Yet S ung,
That S ummer in S icily: A Love Story,
C lub C upid,
D esires of the D ead,
F inding F amily,
The G reat G atsby,
A M atch for M elissa,
The Hitchhiker's G uide to the G alaxy,
S tories I S tole
Blameless: The P arasol P rotectorate

message 13: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4489 comments Making it tougher makes sense to me and most of the books I was going to use for the task or style points still fit. I do have one that sounds like alliteration to me but doesn't quite fit this rule:
Super Sad True Love Story
What do you think? I have more books chosen than I will be able to read, so just checking.

message 14: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Karen GHHS wrote: "Making it tougher makes sense to me and most of the books I was going to use for the task or style points still fit. I do have one that sounds like alliteration to me but doesn't quite fit this rul..."

Thank you for your understanding! I am trying to be consistent & fair & needed to set out a guideline for myself. So, I am going to say no to this title, but I really hope you can fit in elsewhere; I've heard good things about it!

message 15: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4489 comments Liz M wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "Making it tougher makes sense to me and most of the books I was going to use for the task or style points still fit. I do have one that sounds like alliteration to me but doesn't..."

Thanks, Liz for your quick answer and for all of your hard work. I absolutely love the tasks with all the word sounds - thanks, Sam!--(I think it's the former music teacher in me -- we played with words a lot!) but I think the tasks must be challenging for the moderators, but you and Krista are doing a great job!

message 16: by Krista (last edited Mar 12, 2011 08:13AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Liz M wrote: "AM10000 wrote: "Would Their Eyes Were Watching God work? Would the two W's be enough to count, or would there need to be more?"

This is a 20 point task & should be a little harder. So unless Sam..."

Hi Liz:

Thanks for more guidelines. I'm not sure why The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy would work for this though. Not all the capitalized words in the title start with the same letter. I would have thought that the word "Hitchhiker's" would have ruled out the book for this task.

The same question goes for:
Strawberry Shortcake Murder Wouldn't the "M" in "Murder" rule this out?
Blueberry Muffin Murder "B" is capitalized.
Living Dead in Dallas "L" is capitalized

I'm just trying to get a clear understanding of the requirement.

Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life was ruled out because the subtitle wasn't simply :A Book (or some other simple subtitle) --- and the words in the subtitle didn't start with B?

message 17: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 4489 comments Liz said she'd allow one capitalized word that wasn't alliteration, so the first four in Krista's post would be ok, right?

message 18: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Liz said she'd allow one capitalized word that wasn't alliteration, so the first four in Krista's post would be ok, right?"

Oops, I missed that very important point in Liz's original post. Thanks! Now I see the logic in her decisions. :-)

message 19: by Camille (last edited Apr 05, 2011 07:58AM) (new)

Camille How about
Blameless: The Parasol Protectorate ?

message 20: by Liz M (last edited Apr 05, 2011 09:58AM) (new)

Liz M Camille wrote: "How about
Blameless: The Parasol Protectorate ?"

Blameless: The P arasol P rotectorate

Yes.

message 21: by Deana (new)

Deana Pittman Liz M wrote: "Camille wrote: "How about

Blameless: The Parasol Protectorate

Yes."

this works with 20.3 for combo too, right? 10 syllables?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Deana wrote: "Liz M wrote: "Camille wrote: "How about

Blameless: The Parasol Protectorate

Yes."

this works with 20.3 for combo too, right? 10 syllables?"

yes! Good one!

message 24: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Denae wrote: "Parker Pyne Investigates - good?"

It works.

message 25: by Deana (new)

Deana Pittman Will Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder work? I know they all start with C but the "ch" is a different sound than the "c" sound...just wanted to be sure! Thanks!

message 26: by Krista (last edited May 13, 2011 07:28AM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) | 1037 comments Deana wrote: "Will Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder work? I know they all start with C but the "ch" is a different sound than the "c" sound...just wanted to be sure! Thanks!"

Hi Deana:

No, I don't think that this book will work.

Excerpted from the Task definition: "Read a book whose title has words that begin with the
same consonant or vowel sound. "

As you pointed out Cookie doesn't have the same sound as Chocolate and Chip.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.