Supernatural Fiction Readers discussion

Common reads > City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (Spoilers Allowed)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (last edited Feb 26, 2011 03:00PM) (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Discuss City of Bones by Cassandra Clare here. Spoilers are allowed.

The No Spoiler topic is here:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Jim wrote: "Discuss City of Bones by Cassandra Clare here. Spoilers are allowed.

Thanks Jim as I read it about two weeks ago and want to be in on the discussion. A few friend Terry also wants to be in on it and she has to find this group first.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 97 comments I am the friend Terry! Thanks for telling me about it, Alice. I have read the books four times and have the audio. LOVE these books! I know I need to introduce myself to this group but jumped right to here. Looking forward to the discussion

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

wow! 4 times..so glad you found the link so easy. I often have to search and search on these things. I hear the second book is better than the first one, what do you think? I read it in about 3 days and got it right back to the library as someone else wanted it. Its rare for me to read a book that fast.

Alice

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 97 comments I loved all three books but thought each one was better than the first. But they built on each other. I read them the first time pretty much as one book - put one down and picked up the next one. I still have to check to remember where one leaves off and the other one starts. I was leaving for TwiCon in Dallas on Thursday, started City of Bones on Tuesday and read all three before I left -I could not put them down.

message 6: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 05, 2011 07:47AM) (new)

On this spoiler list I can say that since they were brother and sister maybe the sibling thing was going on at some level. (why she slapped him) I guess sisters might slap brothers more often even if the brother saved their life.

I was very disappointed to learn they were brother and sister. It reminded me of Charlaine Harris books about a woman hit by lightning and her brother who were involved with each other romantically altho I didn't actually it in the book but got warned by reading reviews and so know I do not want to read it. The only story I read about a situation like this was a Norah Lofts story where I felt so sorry for them I think they should have married anyway. They fell in love but had no idea they were related. It was too sad. They were half brother and sister.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 97 comments I look at this series as the epitome of forbidden love and anguish over it with both of them. It is a wonderful beautiful story so what I tell people who are turned off by this book - keep reading. Clary and Jace are my favorite book characters from YA books and how they handle all the incredible things that are thrown at them in these three books is a great journey. (I raise Australian Shepherds and my kennel name is Slash V. I named a beautiful "red" female Slash V Clary Fray).

message 8: by Pam (last edited Mar 14, 2011 10:01PM) (new)

Pam (pcdub) | 5 comments Hi! I, for one, was pretty mad when I found out that Jace and Clary were brother and sister. Someone had warned me early on that there was a twist at the end, and so as I read it I kept looking for the twist. I was so sure I had it all figured out and that it would end with Clary dying*. So when I reached the end and found that they were siblings I was immediately relieved that Clary hadn't died. For about 20 minutes. Than I got mad. I instantly picked up the second, then the third book in hopes of getting a happy ending out of it. I will let you be the judge of that, but I will say this- keep reading. Happy ending or not, Cassandra Clare is a fascinating author.

* I was absolutely sure the twist at the end was that Alec would be forced to kill her. I can't find the exact line in the beginning, but at one point Jace (or someone) points out that if a Shadowhunter swears an oath on the Angel, they have to follow through with it. SO when Clary confronts Alec about his feelings for Jace he responds with, "Don't you ever... ever, say anything like that to him, or I will kill you. I swear on the Angel, I will kill you." (Pg 300 paperback) I was positive this was where the twist would come into play. Glad I was wrong, though!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 97 comments Yes, that would have been beyond horrible. Of all the books that I have read more than once, this series is the most fun to re-read. I thought the first time I re-read it I had picked up on all the hints of what had happened in the past that I missed the first time, but not true. Every time I notice something new and listening to the audio books has been just wonderful. Her descriptions just make the scenes come alive. I normally do not like books that take place in a city. I have never lived in a city nor wanted to. I like stories that take place in a rural setting or small town. (or a true fantasy world) Yet Cassandra makes New York just so interesting.

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam (pcdub) | 5 comments Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "Yes, that would have been beyond horrible. Of all the books that I have read more than once, this series is the most fun to re-read. I thought the first time I re-read it I had picked up on all t..."

I am so jealous that you have them on Audio! I love Audio books! Then I can "read" it while being productive (like cleaning my house) and while paying attention to my kids, as opposed to a real book, where I find myself ignoring my house and kids...

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 97 comments These are the best audio books I have listened to although my experience is limited. The first one is read by a different girl than the other two but I hardly could tell the difference and they are great at making their voice different for different characters and definitely do not just flatly read them. I did not like the Twilight one because of the reader and sold mine on ebay!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) wrote: "These are the best audio books I have listened to although my experience is limited. The first one is read by a different girl than the other two but I hardly could tell the difference and they ar..."

I have never found an audio book yet that I really liked but I keep hoping.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Pam wrote: "Hi! I, for one, was pretty mad when I found out that Jace and Clary were brother and sister. Someone had warned me early on that there was a twist at the end, and so as I read it I kept looking for..."

Oh, Pam I was mad too! I was also very disappointed. It just ruined it all for me.
sigh...

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 97 comments Keep reading......

message 15: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1807 comments Alice, I was also reminded of Loft's Josiana Greenwood and her half-brother, in The House at Old Vine. But I wasn't as devastated by the development as some people were, since I'm hoping that Clary ends up with Simon. (I know, I'm in a minority here.) The situation does make for some real emotional complexity (the instinctive brother-sister bond might help explain the way Jace and Clary were drawn to each other), but I believe both teens are emotionally strong and resilient enough to process this, and come out with a strong, wholesome sibling relationship. (Okay, so I'm an optimist!) Jace's bond with Clary is something that I think will help him to grow as a person (which he needs to do in some areas --let's face it, even the Goodreads description uses the term "jerk"), and we see some growth in Isabelle at the end, too --with a couple more years of maturity, I could see those two as a couple who'd be good for each other. And anybody who knows me could predict that I'm really hoping Jocelyn and Luke get together, once she's conscious again!

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 97 comments I think one of the beautiful things about this series and the ride the author takes us on is dealing with the brother/sister situation with Jace and Clary. These are two teens whose lives have been anything but normal, especially Jace's, but Clary's world has literally been turned upside down. They lose parents, find them, love them, hate them, are thrown into incredible danger and only have each other and the few close to them to battle all that is happening. In the midst of all this they have to figure out how to change the very beginning of a romantic love (and keep in mind that is all it is at the point where they find out) into a brother/sister love with incredible stress all around. Could an adult handle this? The reader feels all kinds of pulls to want them to feel certain ways and do certain things and the hope that it may not be true although everything says that it is. It makes for a read like no other, but I think while reading one must never forget all that these two are going through and have gone through before they even met. The story made me think a lot when I wasn't even reading it. Still does.

message 17: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 18, 2011 04:07PM) (new)

Werner wrote: "Alice, I was also reminded of Loft's Josiana Greenwood and her half-brother, in The House at Old Vine. But I wasn't as devastated by the development as some people were, since I'm hoping that Clar..."

Hi Werner, I also thought about Josiana Greenwood and her half brother which broke my heart it was so sad. I was very sorry that they found out.

I think that Charlaine Harris may be dealing with the subject too per some reading on her Cold Grave series here. I decided not to read that series altho I read one of them which I picked up at the library. She was the one who was hit by lightning and so could find dead people for those who had lost relatives who had been murdered. It was too dark for me so I decided not to read them. I do like her character Sookie tho. I hope to read all the Sookie Stackhouse books again.

Norah Lofts
Charlaine Harris
Grave Sight

message 18: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1807 comments Terry, you mentioned elsewhere that the Shadowhunter's preference for edged weaponry over guns is explained later in the series. Does Clare also explain later how Valentine finally tracked Jocelyn down, right near the beginning of the book? How they suddenly knew, right then, where to go after her was an unexplained detail that bothered me (okay, I know, I sound like Peter Falk on Columbo!).

On a note of what modern critics would call "reader response criticism," I was aware, growing up in the late 60s, of the case of two older teen guys who had been close friends since grade school. One of them eventually found out that the other one had a hitherto unsuspected (and unrequited!) homosexual crush on him. That discovery was stressful and rather traumatic for both (the more so since that kind of thing wasn't talked about then as openly as it is now), and eventually ruptured the friendship. My reading of Alec's situation with Jace tends to be colored by this memory; so it's not a "comfortable" fictional situation for me personally. But Clare does deserve credit, IMO, for depicting a homosexual character as a human being whose worth as a person isn't defined by his sexual orientation. However one sees homosexuality and homosexual behavior, that awareness has to be the starting point for response. It will be interesting to see how she develops this theme (if she does) in the later books.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 97 comments I don't think it does ever explain how they found her. But then he had been looking for a long time so I suppose with his power it was going to happen eventually.

I definitely am interested to see what you think about the next books. I do not want to give spoilers about the Jace/Alec situation. I personally am a little put off by homosexuality in books just because it is the kind of thing that the less I know the more comfortable I am. IMO Cassandra did not go over a line that would have turned me off but did do, as you say, let us know it and did not in any way let it undermine anything about who Alec is. For me anyway. I personally think that an author that is going to bring any controversial sexual or racial situations into a story is wise to present it in kind of a matter of fact way. Otherwise they are bound to turn off someone who is sensitive to the subject - one way or the other.

message 20: by Werner (new)

Werner | 1807 comments Yes, I think Clare handled that well. There are a lot of indications of unusual literary artistry, for a first novelist, in this work. Another is the way she manages to surprise and confound expectations. (Some of my Goodreads friends who've reviewed this book complained that it was predictable, but I definitely didn't find it so!) A case in point was the way she developed Hodge Starkweather; I thought I had his character down pat, as sort of a comfortable Rupert Giles-type figure, and a lot of other readers probably did, too --and then the author proceeded to blow the stock characterization out of the water.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 97 comments Oh, I totally agree about Hodge. His actions and alliance was a total shock. And just when we thought we had seen the last of him, you will encounter him again....later.

I also love the relationship (if you can call it that) between Jace and Simon. It's obviously two boys with the same love interest, but some of the one liners between them are just priceless. Simon does not ever change from his core personality in these books, but many things happen to him and they certainly are anything but predictable. If this book is predictable I would like to know what other book is anything like it. All books have some common themes (love triangles, forbidden love, good against evil etc) but the handling of them is so different. I personally find this author's descriptions very often unique and her dialogue between characters refreshing.