Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Group Discussions > Ready...Set...Spend?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Being a book lover can be expensive. We here at NBRC would like to know how you go about deciding what and how many books to buy. Do you have a monthly book budget? Do you strategize and find the cheapest prices or are you like a kid in a candy store- buying whatever catches your eye? Do you ever feel guilty after going on a book buying spree? Share your opinion and stories with us.

message 2: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments I'm pretty bad, to be honest. If I want it, I buy it. The only real check I put on myself is to avoid buying Kindle books until I'm ready to start them that day; I do very little Kindle buying ahead of time. (If it's free or .99, all bets are off.)

Some of my rationalizations are probably pretty poor. I like to think that my book habit doesn't cost much more than a daily Starbucks habit, and I don't have one of those... er, yeah. That's my line and I'm sticking to it!

message 3: by Erika (new)

Erika (erikareading) Right now I have no budget. I am not allowed to buy books :C

All of this puts things into perspective though. What I used to do was buy the cheapest book possible. Because if I hated it, I didn't what the fact that I spent money on it to drag me down further. But lately, with Goodreads and the great recommendations from the book blogging community, I'm starting to change my mind. Now that I'm finding such great books (when I do get my budget back) I'm going to be buying mostly hardcovers. I've been loving so many books that I want to keep them forever (or at least until I can pass them on to my daughter) and I don't want to spend money on the cheapest versions only to regret it later on. If I'm not sure about something, I'll get it from the library (and since I have no budget, I most of them come from there anyways!).

I don't really have a set amount to buy at a time - however many I can get with the gift cards I am getting is pretty much it. I try to be as selective as possible so I don't buy the cheapest just to get the most amount but the ones I want the most and am willing to read as soon as I get them.

Err...my bookish life is so complicated. Somebody, just give me unlimited money so I can buy them all. Please????

message 4: by The UHQ Nasanta (last edited Feb 26, 2011 09:19PM) (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I used to just buy whatever caught my eye. I would nearly always buy new. Half the time, I ended up not reading it so I have now many books in my TBR pile.

About a year or so ago, I decided to curtail my spending to only purchasing new books when Borders sent a really nice coupon or at Amazon.com if they had it cheaper than what I'd be paying with the Borders coupon. This did not yet apply to e-books.

After I found paperbackswap.com and later discovered I can renew library books on-line, I have restricted myself to swapping and borrowing as much as I can. With the additional resolution of purchasing a maximum of 20 books this year, I feel as if I have done a pretty decent job so far in keeping my book expenditures low. Granted, it's not even been a full 2 months so who knows how long this will last. :D

When I did go on a book-spending spree, I did momentarily feel guilty but buyer's remorse wasn't very acute nor lasting. That came about a year or two later when I had a pile of books I'd purchased on impulse and ended up not wanting to read...

message 5: by Sans (new)

Sans Niquae, you could be my twin. Except for the part where you curtailed your spending. That's just crazy talk. ^o^

I'm actually pretty guilt-free about my book spending habits. I do a lot of pre-orders on Amazon so even though the total invoice could be several hundred dollars, it's taken out of my credit card over several months.

When I go to the shops for books, I always hit up Half Price Books first (cause I totally get double the amount of books for the same cost as a new book shop), then I'll check for the book used on Amazon. If I can get a "like new" copy for $4, I'll order it. If not, then I wait for a coupon from Borders or order it new from Amazon.

Hey, it's a system and it works. It makes me feel like I'm saving money after all. Though I do have a Starbucks addiction, so I'm bleeding cast at both ends sometimes. But after all the OT I did last month and my tax returns coming in, I shrug and tell myself that at least I'm keeping myself happy.

message 6: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (shyluck13) I wish I had tons of money to spend on books. But for me, really it's the birthday money, the gift cards, the money I make off working - I don't get lots of money going my way but I'd say 65% of my money is spent on books.

I do go to library once every week or so, which is great because I get a whole bunch of books for free. I get to knock down my TBR list with the library and get the chance to find books I'd had on it that I end up not liking. I only buy a book when I'm almost certain that A) I'll love it, B) I'll reread it or C) I can pass it on. D) if I've wanted it a look time. Almost every one of those points must be locked down before buying a book.

What helps my habit is the fact that I don't have a bookstore anywhere in walking distance - I don't have a car and the bus stops aren't near so I'm subject to my feet. :( And still, though, it's helpful because this way I'm not tempted to buy, buy, buy without thinking of the consequences.

I'm a reviewer, too, so I'm lucky to sometimes get books from publishers/authors/winnings that I'm eager to read. But when I do buy books (which, despite what I say, is almost every two weeks or so) I justify it by saying I'm giving back to the online community by writing about my thoughts on it.

Note: I don't buy e-books but I do get the free ones once in a while. It's always satisfying to know I have something to read handy!

message 7: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I’m a full time student and a jobless one at that, so I really have to hustle to get my books. I’d say 95% of my money goes towards buying books. I tutor English at my school- it’s infrequent and pays decent so my money goes towards books. I also save my lunch money. I do take the kid in a candy store approach even though it I have to be frugal sometimes. When I see books I want them all! I’m almost glad I don’t have a credit card or job because I have no self control and would probably spend my whole pay check on books
I used to go to the library all the time but ever since I got my eReader I haven’t been going as much {plus I don’t have a ride to the library anymore :(}. I try to use my digital library but it doesn’t have nearly as nice of a selction as my ‘real’ library. I also buy all eBooks now, they are usually $1-2 less than paperback and I don’t have to pay for shipping and handling, gas, or bus fare. So in the long run I am saving money :D

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Sans wrote: "Niquae, you could be my twin. Except for the part where you curtailed your spending. That's just crazy talk. ^o^

I'm actually pretty guilt-free about my book spending habits. I do a lot of pre-or..."

hahaha. lol. I had to curtail my book spending. I'd quit my full-time job to go back to school full-time. Otherwise I'd probably still be buying books on impulse.

message 9: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 303 comments I usually have a see, want, buy habit when it comes to books, and I'll go without other things to to buy them however because I read and buy at about the same rate, and I reread frequently I've ended up with a massive TBR.

This year I'm not buying any books at all, partly to reduce my TBR and partly because my sister said I couldn't go a year without buying a book. I now have a massive birthday list, a growing Christmas list and will be saving up for the book spree to end all book sprees on the first of January next year :)

message 10: by Galla (new)

Galla | 110 comments For a whole year, Nairabell? I don't think I could do it! I'd end up standing outside of Borders, giving some random person cash and a list and telling them they could keep the change if they brought me the books. I'd be like one of those underage kids who hangs out near liquor stores trying to talk unscrupulous adults into making purchases.

message 11: by The UHQ Nasanta (new)

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Nairabell wrote: "I usually have a see, want, buy habit when it comes to books, and I'll go without other things to to buy them however because I read and buy at about the same rate, and I reread frequently I've end..."

I have to say that the ones who are determined not to buy a book at all this year really impress me. I know that I could not do it because I like instant gratification. If there is a book I really want to read, I almost always will get it. I've been getting better about delaying gratification though so maybe in another 50 years I can be one of those who can go a year without buying a book. :)

message 12: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Galla wrote: "For a whole year, Nairabell? I don't think I could do it! I'd end up standing outside of Borders, giving some random person cash and a list and telling them they could keep the change if they broug..."

ROFL!!

message 13: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Nairabell wrote: "I usually have a see, want, buy habit when it comes to books, and I'll go without other things to to buy them however because I read and buy at about the same rate, and I reread frequently I've end..."

That is very applaudable, Nairabell. I took a quick peek at your tbr and it isn't as long as some of the ones I've seen. I would love to reduce my TBR as well.

message 14: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 303 comments Sashana wrote: "That is very applaudable, Nairabell. I took a quick peek at your tbr and it isn't as long as some of the ones I've seen. I would love to reduce my TBR as well. "

That's not my entire TBR. I keep beginning to update it and giving up. I think my last count of unread books reached 350 before I gave up. It kind of freaked me out a little so I just want it down to under a year's worth of books.

It's already becoming difficult not to buy new books, but having an annoying younger sister who keeps going on about how I won't make it is really helping my determination. It's beginning to become about proving her wrong, not that I'm stubborn :)

message 15: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments I used to buy 5-10 brand new books a month. Now I only buy one or two every few months. Althouhg I do still get myself books for my bday and Christmas. But I'm a single mother now with a much more limited income. I usually only buy new now if I have a coupon. I don't even buy all that many used anymore because my TBR is closing in on 1,000. So I utilize my paperbackswap WL and my library more.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 241 comments Where I live, we have the largest FOL booksale in the southeastern US twice a year. It lasts 5 days each sale, they usually have about a quarter of a million books per sale, and because the 2nd to last day is half-price day and the last day is 10-cent day, they virtually sell out every sale so the selection is new at each sale. The average book price used to be about a quarter: now it's more like a dollar. Still-- they had their second sale for this year in October and I spent 18 bucks on about 50 books. I've literally bought 300 books over the course of one sale before and spent around 100 bucks or less. New titles as well as great chances to fill in missing titles from loved series or authors and some good hard-to-find stuff as well. Plus if there's a series you've wanted to try but didn't want to blow money on something you might not like, well, if it's only a dollar, who cares!? I did that with Robert b Parker-- bought a couple one sale, loved them, bought about 30 of the rest at the next sale.

message 17: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments I have a budget of $100 including kid's books. But, I'm not allowed to "carry over" any unused balances. In other words, if I only spend $50, I can't spend $150 the next month. I try to mostly get used books because $100 is not a lot in new, hardcover books. I try to save buying new books for group reads I really want to participate in, but can't get the book from the library. I'm actually trying to buy as few books as possible because of ebooks- I now have about 2,000 books (real and ebook) in my TBR pile. I honestly can't justify buying books unless I know I'm going to read them immediately and I can only do that if it's a group read.

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz Fichera (lizfichera) I should be better about book budgeting but I'm not. Some people spend it on clothes and shoes. I buy books, mostly e-books these days. Whenever possible, I download from my local library.

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I get books from my library more than from anywhere else. If I buy a new book, it is usually from ana uthor I love or from a book I have read before and want a copy of. As far as used books go, I am a little more lenient on my spending. Money with used books goes farther, but they still have to be in really, really good condition for me to purchase them! I do not have to give myself a budget when I go to a bookstore usually...unless I have just gotten tax return money or loan refunds. I do, however give myself a library loan limit. I have been known to walk out with 30+ books!

message 20: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Rachel wrote: "I get books from my library more than from anywhere else. If I buy a new book, it is usually from ana uthor I love or from a book I have read before and want a copy of. As far as used books go, I a..."

I've had 100 books out from the library at once. I think I have about 90 now.

message 21: by Alicia (new)

Alicia I get about 98% of my books free from the library, because once I buy my textbooks for university each semester, I don't have any money left to buy "pleasure reading". I do often get gifted books at Christmas or on my birthday from friends and family members because they know I love to read and that it's an easy gift to buy me, so that's pretty awesome. Once in a rare while I will hit up one of the used book stores where you can get paperbacks for 2 bucks. Even if I could spend more on books, I wouldn't have anywhere to put them. I live in a tiny bachelor's apartment and I already have 3 large, overflowing bookshelves. Unless I want books as carpeting, there would be nowhere for them to go...

message 22: by Tai (new)

Tai (msglam) | 101 comments I have a monthly budget that I TRY to stick to. However I make exceptions for new released books in a series I'm already reading and books that I just have to have right now which covers me in case I have already spent my budgeted amount LOL. The only thing I stick to lately is that I only buy books once a week. I have converted to ebooks only and it is so tempting to just buy, buy, buy so I tend to limit myself to 5-10 books every Friday. Its how I get through the week with a smile on my face and keeping everyday stresses from getting to me. Well worth the money spent.

message 23: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Niquae, I have to plan out my library books. Some of the new releases are due in two weeks and if there's other requests, they can't be renewed. So, I read those first. I can renew most of the books 3 times for 3 weeks each time. Paperbacks- due to a glich in programming and library policies, I can renew those a total of 9 weeks + 30 days. So, about 13 1/2 weeks. They don't catalogue paperbacks, so no one can request them- it just lists them as paperbacks. Also, there are no fines on paperbacks and they don't freeze your account for 10 days, so you can let paperbacks get 10 days overdue before you renew them and they renew from the day you renew them, not from original due date.

message 24: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 686 comments When there's a book I want, I first check paperback swap and the campus library (for some reason the public libraries seem too inconvenient- I need to get over that). If I really want it (the must have it now type of want) and I can't get it in either of those places, I'll buy the book on either amazon or B&N, assuming I have enough money in my account that month. Otherwise it gets wish-listed.

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 241 comments niquae wrote: "Tai wrote: "Well worth the money spent."

Oh, certainly. Cheaper than seeing a psychologist, I'm sure. ;)

@Shay: I currently have six books out from the library, and it gives me stress because of..."

Maybe it's safety in numbers. I can easily imagine not being in the mood for any of six books, but surely if I had 90, SOMETHING in that pile would catch my fancy!

message 26: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinalawhead) now that I don't have a job, I will usually only buy a book if i have a giftcard to that bookstore or if it's on sale. I have member cards to a lot of the stores so that saves me a little money. When I DO have an income I usually don't budget, I buy what I want, but I try to get as much as possible off of Amazon since it's so cheap and reliable. For right now though the library is my best friend! :)

message 27: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments Kristina wrote: "now that I don't have a job, I will usually only buy a book if i have a giftcard to that bookstore or if it's on sale. I have member cards to a lot of the stores so that saves me a little money. Wh..."

I actually prefer the library for books. I've run out of room for all of my books, so I only buy books if the library doesn't have it or if I'm positive I'll keep it and plan to re-read it one day. I probably have around 4,000 to 5,000 (physical) books. Probably more, but I don't really want to know.

message 28: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4966 comments I have a huge TBR here. The shelves are overflowing. I've started looking up some of hte books I own and any that the library has multiple copies of, I've been offering up for trade on PBS and Bookmooch. Just to clear some shelf room. I'm only ordering/buying books my library doesn't have. There's no sense in having them taking up space when I can just go to the library and get them. My library only has a 10 book limit. I think. I only like to get 2 or 3 at the most from the library so I don't feel like I have to read them so quickly. It's only 5min away and I can get there anytime.