The Sword and Laser discussion

Audible Trial -read the fine print

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2845 comments Since Audible is now partnered with Amazon, I just realized that I had inadvertently been paying for a gold account for two months now, since I went through that account for my "free trial.". Guys, I know this was my error, but I didnt plan on having my account automatically charged for anything, so I thought I'd caution you as well.

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (mhkid) It is pretty standard with free trials.

message 3: by Bob (new)

Bob (shack) | 103 comments Yeah this is normal most free trials of this sort. Netflix is the same way. 2 week free trail and after the 2 weeks they start charging unless you cancel. It's an easy way to get subscribers who are too lazy to cancel or just forgot.

message 4: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments One time someone in a store asked 'do you want a free magazine?', and I said 'sure.' So she subscribed me to some magazine, and after the 1st issue it was charging my credit card every month. :/

message 5: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Tamahome wrote: "One time someone in a store asked 'do you want a free magazine?', and I said 'sure.' So she subscribed me to some magazine, and after the 1st issue it was charging my credit card every month. :/"

Did she tell you she was a college student and if she sold enough magazines she'd get a scholarship/win a trip for spring break, or that she was a crack addict trying to pay for rehab? Because if she did, it was probably a scam.

message 6: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6196 comments This was at the cash register.

message 7: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Tamahome wrote: "This was at the cash register."

Then it was definitely a scam. The cashiers at Best Buy may look like cute college coeds, but they're all servants of Satan.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2845 comments Yeah, like I said, my fault. It looks like I have 2 credits to use now though, so it isn't all bad. :)

message 9: by Tim (new)

Tim (zerogain) | 93 comments I expected the free trial to become a membership, but I haven't had a problem thus far. I have not made many actual purchases, I just wait for my credits to roll out and get myself two more books. At the price, it's far cheaper than almost any audio book they offer.

message 10: by Elie (new)

Elie Harriett | 56 comments Tamahome wrote: "One time someone in a store asked 'do you want a free magazine?', and I said 'sure.' So she subscribed me to some magazine, and after the 1st issue it was charging my credit card every month. :/"

Yeah, I remember that. It was one of the stores working with Suncoast. I was so upset they did this at the time. But I learned, never take those offers again.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Kelly (ptekelly) | 206 comments Anyone that asks for my bank or credit card in order to give me a 'free trial' gets a not-so-polite "no".

I know that is how they operate but I am that person too lazy to cancel so I avoid them :)

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 05, 2011 04:49AM) (new)

I know this is business, but it somehow speaks to a lack of faith in their product... which for Audible is odd, as it's such a solid product.

At least now you don't need to phone them to alter your account or cancel, and they'll let you take one 3 month sabbatical every year or so if you ask, but again, you have to read the cancel procedure, and then they'll offer it. Also, if you try to quit they offer you 20USD sometimes to stay...

Currently, after 2.5 years on Gold, I'm on Audible Listener Light, which is 10USD a year and allows me to buy whenever at the reduced pricing of a member, rather than have a regular credit (this is because I'm really busy right now and was backed up on novels anyway) . Don't look for this plan on the site - it's not there, you have to write in and explicitly ask for it.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

As more examples, XBox live does it, and does it at the really expensive monthly rate, and (certainly here in Japan) it's a pain to cancel.

Also, Amazon does it with their Prime offering, but I suppose there you're getting a year of something.

Oh yes, and Mozy do it, and given their recent price structure changes, you might want to kill that one quite quickly.