The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

GROUP READS > I Am Number Four - will contain spoilers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15690 comments Mod
This thread will open on March 1.

If you choose to read I Am Number Four for the Group Reads task (or another task for that matter) please feel free to discuss it here.

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) I started this book last night, and seriously could not put it down! I even teared up in a few places.

The book is far from perfect for a lot of reasons, but I really enjoyed it regardless. I don't want to say too much since I'm the first person who has completed it (I had it as an e-book through the library and only with 21 days to read it, plus have 2 other e-books currently checked out!)

I hope to see it this weekend in theatres.

I know there's all sorts of drama with the authors Jobie Hughes and James Frey, but I think as a lot of places have said this will be a good gateway book for those who haven't read sci-fi/fantasy before. I can see reluctant readers really liking this book.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon ★ (shann0n) I absolutely LOVED this book. I went to see the movie and was sort of disappointed, but it just reinforced my love for the book. I have to admit, though, that this book made me cry. Twice. =x I can't wait for the next in the series!

message 4: by MsOPP (new)

MsOPP | 130 comments I started reading this book today and just could not put it down. The mysteries at the end of the story really bug me since I HATE loose ends. I usually get aggravated when I catch up to long series and there's some kind of loose end that gets tied up in a book that's not published yet. A great start to a great series, although I might wait until a few more books are published before I pick up #2 in the series.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) I saw the movie a few nights ago, Shannon, and it made me disappointed in the book. I far preferred the movie, but I still have a soft spot for the book.

The movie really fleshes out the character of Sarah. In the book, she's really not all that interesting. We accept that John loves her, but in the movie we get to see why he is so drawn to her. In the book, she doesn't really have any interests or strong personality characteristics. The movie gives her interests in photography.

Also, the dialogue in the movie is much better compared to that in the book.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the book. I just think that the writing wasn't all that great.

message 6: by Sandie (new)

Sandie (chocdrop) | 214 comments I've just finished this book and I am really confused as to how I feel about it.

It isn't well-written and yet I couldn't put it down. I liked the idea but there is poor character development and some of the dialogue seemed very clunky.

I will admit that it made me cry, but Bernie Kosar got hurt and I always cry when animals are harmed!!

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jensen (Literally Jen) (vampsita) I'm with you on that one, Sandy! I couldn't put it down, either. But like you, I think it's generally bad in character development and dialogue.

I cried for Bernie and for Henry both! Loved them so much.

message 8: by Rosemary (last edited Mar 22, 2011 03:06PM) (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments Same here! I couldn't put it down, but I didn't think much of the character development, except for Henri, who was very well drawn. Sarah's interest in photography is in the book, but you don't have any idea of why John likes her so much, except for her looks, which makes him seem a little shallow.

I wasn't convinced by Mark changing from bully/enemy to hero/friend for no apparent reason. I expected him to play some kind of trick on them at the party ... I was sure it was going to turn out that he had locked Sarah in that second floor room (of course, not expecting the fire ...) If he didn't, what was she doing for all the time that John couldn't find her at the party before the fire?

I had some other questions too, like how come Loric people look exactly like humans? (I assume, white humans, since Henri passes for French.) When human beings from different continents on Earth can look so different, wouldn't you expect some difference in people from another planet ...?

I enjoyed the plot, though, and the whole setup with the different 'numbers' and their 'minders'. It was a great idea. I won't rush to buy the next book but if the rest of the series gets good reviews I would read them when they are all published. Like Julie, I hate when they leave loose ends.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments still reading this right now - but agree on the I can't put it down...I would have stayed up all night reading last night, if i hadn't forced myself to stop. Did anyone else notice that the author is also the leader of the bad guys? It was mentioned around page 80ish in the hardcover with the movie picture on it

message 10: by Rosemary (last edited Mar 17, 2011 05:45AM) (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments I thought he was the leader of the good guys. Don't have the book any more so I can't check.

message 11: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments ha - yeah i totally misread that part...

i guess that brings another question to mind - what do people think about that - authors mentioning their own stuff in other books (maybe another book they've written), or themselves etc

message 12: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 640 comments In this case I think Pittacus Lore is a pseudonym. So I was thinking of it as the other way around ... it's like they are pretending that the Loric leader wrote this book.

But it really annoys me when authors mention their other books in a book. I think the place for that is in the endpapers, not in the book itself.

message 13: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments I really liked the book. I have not had the pleasure of reading an alien sci/fi book in the past because there are not many YA books for this. I hope this opens the YA up to the alien storys.
I enjoyed the story around the legacies and was really looking forward to each new legacy John would get. I hope to see more come out in the next book. It was an easy read but very enjoyable.

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17493 comments Mod
I thought this book was full of plot holes, inconsistencies, and bad dialogue. I thought Henri did a poor job of preparing John for his future- Six was so much better prepared and her Cepan had been dead three years. The ending was disappointing- Henri said they were in Paradise for a reason, but John didn't want to read the letter and leaves- why? IMO only because they want to continue the series. "Pittacus Lore"

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments I started this tonight and I am already on chapter 5. I agree with the can't put it down comment. I have to put it down so I can get sleep. :)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments I finished the book and I really enjoyed it. I love Bernie and I knew he was special. I really want to see the movie now. The book did keep my interest pretty well. It was a little slow when Henri went missing. Overall I gave it 5 stars.

message 17: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments I finished the book this morning and I really enjoyed it. I did have a few questions like many other reviewers here; what was Sarah doing upstairs for so long at the party? Why wasn't it expained? Mark's character seemed to change very quickly, also with not much of an explanation. It was a quick read and an enjoyable one- I am left curious about what happens next for the group that's left, and will read the next one when it comes out. I also cried at the end for Henri. I was sad for Bernie, but Henri really got to me.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments You raise some good questions. I was wondering what Sarah was doing as well upstairs at the party,

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (eagle1964) | 271 comments Wow! I could hardly put it down-read it in 18 hours straight. I am so looking forward to more of Lorien Legacies and #s 5,6,7,8,and9. A ggod friend of mine told me it was a great movie when she told me it was an alien story. In my brain I groaned really loud. I thought I do not want to read an alien story, but it was a great book. I really loved it. (It kinda reminded me of the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. Anyone else think that way?)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments I didn't think that. I thought it was more War of the Worlds.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm not going to lie when I decided to read this for the Group Read I was less than optimistic. I saw the previews for the movie and was debating whether or not to see it.

I literally finished it in a day. I could not put it down. I can't wait for the series to continue and I will definitely be going to see the movie now.

message 22: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments Gina wrote: "I'm not going to lie when I decided to read this for the Group Read I was less than optimistic. I saw the previews for the movie and was debating whether or not to see it.

I literally finished i..."

Gina, I agree- now that I've read the book I really want to see the movie.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments Me too. When I saw the previews for the movie, I didn't think it was YA.

message 24: by Cindy LooHoo (new)

Cindy LooHoo | 59 comments I am also in the mixed reviews camp. I thought that the concept was intriguing and original, but I wonder why the author's editor didn't do a better job of making him flesh out certain concepts. I am always disappointed when a book jars me out of my 'suspended disbelief,' and unfortunately this one did that several times. The clunky dialogue and flat characters have already been mentioned. I am willing to give the next book a try, but sincerely hope the author continues to learn his craft and improves.

message 25: by Jane(Janelba) (new)

Jane(Janelba) (janelba) I loved this book and just wish I could have had the time available to read it quicker but alas working had to take precedence !
Loved the characters and storyline.
The relationship developments between John Smith and Sarah, Sam and Mark were beautiful and moving.
Henri's love for John is so strong and emotional.
Looking forward to reading book two now.

message 26: by Joanie (new)

Joanie | 95 comments Count me in with the mixed feelings crew. There were parts that I flew through but then other parts were really weak. I liked the idea of the 9 Garde and Cepans and the way they would know if the one before them was killed-that whole concept was interesting. I think it was a case of good concept but poor execution but then again, it's a YA book so I think bigger allowances are made in that department. I always hate it when authors state things rather than letting the reader draw conclusions based on dialog etc. It's like the author thinks we're not smart enough to figure it out so he/she hits us over the head with it. That plus the flat characters annoyed me.

I was annoyed at some of things mentioned above, especially Mark's 180. I was rushing to finish the last 60 pages last night so I could pass it on to a friend today so it's possible that I missed something but was there some mention of Sam's father other than him just saying he knew it was the Mogadorians who killed/kidnapped him? All I read was him saying he drove in and he knew but that was it. I thought maybe there would be some kind of explanation or evidence that led him to the conclusion but as far as I could tell there wasn't.

I am curious about the movie but don't know that I'll go rushing out to read the next book. (I say this now but then I always seem to weaken!)

message 27: by Carla (new)

Carla (carlajones) | 94 comments You can add me to the mixed feelings group as well!
On the whole, I enjoyed the book. I enjoyed the plot and found the details about the alien races/cultures/powers very interesting.
I was not a big fan of the "teen romance" - it felt a bit contrived; and the back and forth about classes/schedules was a bit tedious.
I don't think I'll rush for the next book either, but I will probably end up picking it up to see what happens next.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Mixed feelings.
This book fell into the category of just good enough that I wanted to keep reading, but bad enough that I didn't really enjoy it.
The characters were clunky. The only one I really enjoyed was Bernie Kosar. :P The romance was totally unbelievable, even with the convenient 'Lorians fall in love perfectly' thing, because Sarah is a human girl. I've dated in high school, it's not even close to what's described.
All in all, I didn't really like the book. There were way to many plot devices to move it along, the writing was juvenile, and the plot was inconsistent. :/ The only thing that it really has going for it is that I enjoyed the action scenes, haha.

message 29: by TMBookluvr (new)

TMBookluvr (tmb1981) | 285 comments SAw the movie when oit came out not realizing it was a book. With that said I actually think I prefer the movie. Both reminded me.of the show roswell from 1999-2001. So it wasnt all that original but it was enjoyable and while long didnt take that long to read. Waiting for the next one.

message 30: by travelgirlut (new)

travelgirlut | 61 comments I too am in the mixed feelings group. The writing was poor and there were some definite weak characters and plot elements, but I still couldn't stop reading. I wanted to know what happened. Though I have asked all the same questions as everyone above: Sarah at the party, Mark's changed feelings, shallow relationships, etc. I am interested to see how the story progresses and will probably pick up the next one, and I'm curious to see how the movie was done now that I've read the book.

message 31: by Michelle (new)

Michelle  (mnmgbwi) | 198 comments I finished this book very quickly and it definitely held my attention, however after reading these comments I see that I am not the only one with some negative feelings. I too had questions about certain plot holes, characters that were not explained very well, etc. However, I have to admit even though I found myself rolling my eyes several times throughout this book I did really enjoy it. I do wish that I had a better understanding of the characters, however I usually give the first book in a series a break in that regard... as long as they are better developed along the way in future books. I guess we'll see if that happens or not.

I'm glad that I didn't go and see the movie first and now I'm even more excited to see it. I will definitely be grabbing the next book... I'm excited to see what happens next. Reading some of the book vs. movie reviews I hope I'm not expecting too much from the movie. I would hate to be disappointed.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7542 comments finished this up last night...I enjoyed it and it kept my attention but the writing was definately not something to write home about...very gappy and just blah...but i'm intrigued enough that i'll probably get the next book in the series from the library - don't know if I would spend money on it

message 33: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 997 comments This was not a book I enjoyed very much. I put it down twice before finishing it. Unfortunately I had already read the other two group reads.

message 34: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I mainly read YA, so this was my typical kind of book. I enjoyed it for the most part as well. Like everyone else has said, it was a little gappy, and the last 30 pages seemed kinda rushed. But overall, I enjoyed it. It kept me reading (listening, really) and I will pick up the next one to see how the war plays out.

message 35: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments I have just finished this book. It didn't take me long to read it at all and i did find it hard to put down but that was because it was an easy book to read it being a YA book.

Mark's character was poorly written. to begin with it was a stereotypical convincing character being a footballer with an ex girlfriend cheerleader disliking the new guy who his ex is falling for. All very american YA Glee type character. But as others have said the turn around was very quick. What happened at the halloween event would have raised more questions for the people involved and i think it would've made Mark stay away from John NOT invite him to birthday parties!

Everyone who found who John really was seemed to all take it very casually. Not sure how I would react if my best mate turned round and said oh yeah by the way I'm an alien! But then that is the nature of the genre of this book so I can take that as it is.

I do like the way that the author is a psuedonym writing the story as a guardian. Very similar to Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl's series in that way. Just adds an extra dimension to it.

I don't think John was as prepared as he should've been being the next one to be targeted and yet he still managed to fight the Magadonians off pretty easily despite numbers 1 to 3 not having managed it.

As a sum up there were a lot of things that weren't quite right with the writing but as a YA book I wouldn't expect everything to be tied up. Leaving your disbelief behind you when reading any of these types of books is the point. I wouldn't believe anything in Harry Potter if it actually happened to me but it doesn't stop me enjoying the story. I found it an easy and overall enjoyable book. The ending being left wide open will now annoy me until The Power of Six is published in paperback which will be a long time yet as the hardback isn't due to be published here until August!

message 36: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (bjrose) | 822 comments I chose this book for the group read only because I had read the other two, but I surprised myself with how much I enjoyed the story. As others have said, there were obvious holes in the story - the two major ones for me were Sarah's extended disappearance at the party (with no explanation other than that she was apparently playing with the dogs - at a party she was attending with a boy she really loved!), and Mark's unexplained turnaround in inviting them to the party in the first place, and then whole-heartedly supporting John (although by then he apparently knew that John had saved Sarah and the dogs). I actually had no problem with Sam's acceptance of John being an alien, since Sam totally believed in aliens. I loved Bernie Kosar, and knew that he was no ordinary dog, but I was a little surprised to find he was on the ship with them - I sort of expected that 2nd ship to come into the explanation. One thing I did like was that the information about life on Lorien and the final battle there came through John's dreams and memories rather than just a dry explanation - his 'experiencing' those events made them more real, both to him and to the reader.

message 37: by Tien (last edited Apr 18, 2011 06:34PM) (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1400 comments It was a pretty quick read - engaging in a way that I want to find out what happens next but in terms of the writing, I didn't particularly find it good which is a shame. Since after reading it, I don't find myself wanting to watch the movie or read the next book, my conclusion is that it's an average 'okay' book only with nothing to interest me whatsoever UNLESS...

UNLESS if someone tells me that the second book is about number 6! Now, I reckon she's a character I just might love!

Edit: Oh bum! I just checked #2 and it's about Number 7 so I'm just not sure if I want to... :p

message 38: by Chris (new)

Chris | 31 comments Like most of you, I really liked the story of the book but was disappointed in the skill and writing style of the author. If you read the link Dimrose put in post 14, I think it explains in large part the poor craftsmanship. It seems this book is one of about 2 dozen that were just mass marketed to make money and film deals and such in an attempt to be the next Harry Potter. Instead, I wish this book would have been more selectively edited and perfected more before publishing. It seems it was rushed to allow it to be published around the same time as the movie.

message 39: by KSMary (new)

KSMary | 795 comments I finished this book at 1:30 am this morning without stopping. I had to read it all. Sometimes, you just have to read a book simply to enjoy the story and not worry too much about the quality of the writing. It is a YA book so I tend to give that genre more leeway in what I expect from character development, etc. It was a fun, easy read. Will I go out and rush to get the next one when it comes out? Probably not but I can see many kids that will.

message 40: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1670 comments A lot of what I would say about this book has already been said. I did enjoy it well enough (loved the chimera dog) and it was a page turner. Here are my two main thoughts:

1}The book reads like it was written to be a movie and needs the visual to really "work".

2)Some of you have mentioned the simplistic/poor writing as being part of the book being YA, but I feel that it's more typical of adult writers (James Frey in this case)thinking that this is the way to write YA than it is the style of YA writers that really know their craft(The Hunger Games, for example). This book reminds me of James Patterson's Angel Experiment series in that respect. I enjoy the books, but the writing is just a bit "clunky".

message 41: by Jennifer N. (new)

Jennifer N. | 423 comments This book was okay for me. I actually think this is one that I would enjoy the movie more which doesn't happen very often for me. While I was reading it I was very aware that it sounded like it was made for a movie. It was a very easy quick read though and required little thought.

message 42: by Denise (new)

Denise | 213 comments I agree with most of what was said in the previous posts. It was hard to put down, but I didn't love the book. I especially don't like the ending of the book. I don't mind a little ambiguity at the end of a book in a series, but not reading the letter or explaining why they were specifically in Paradise is a bit much. That said, I don't care enough to buy the next book in the series to find out what was in the letter or why they were in Paradise.

message 43: by Casey (new)

Casey | 71 comments I enjoyed the story, but like many here I had a hard time with the writing. I didn't feel much connection to the characters, which is always a disappointment. And there were way too many plot holes - why was Sarah upstairs, and even more, why did it take so long for her to start screaming? Mark's change from bully to buddy was bothersome and unbelievable. I was annoyed by John's infatuation with Sarah, and I thought Henri's character could have used a lot more developing. I also didn't really get the connection to Sam's dad.

I did like Bernie, and I was anxious to know what John's final legacy is! I may read the next books, but won't put them at the top of my list.

message 44: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 49 comments Luckily, this was a quick and easy read or I would have abandoned this title. Promising beginning. Interesting concept. Less than interesting (borderlining on poor) execution. Left me, for the most part, full of indifference. It is highly unlikely, I will continue with this series. I will, however, make a point of seeing the film(s). /Shrug

message 45: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) I agree with basically everyone here - mixed feelings stemming from a good concept, bad execution. And mannnnn were there a lot of plot-holes. I sure had fun writing a snarky review, though.

I'm kind of tempted to see the movie though, I feel like that medium could work better. The book basically read like a screenplay anyway, since the author insisted on telling, rather than showing (one of my pet peeves!).

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2970 comments When I wrote stories, I had a hard time with the showing and not telling problem. I am getting better at it.

message 47: by Anna (new)

Anna | 76 comments I have mixed feelings about this book too. On the positive side it was a nice quick easy read. However, I kept expecting the book to develop and it just didn't. The writing was brillant and the characters were very flat and needed significant fleshing out and I was very irritated by the end when the letter wasn't read. It didn't finish the book well enough for me.

message 48: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaina) | 381 comments I loved this book: A fun and quick read! I just wish the rest of the series would concentrate on John, but I don't think that'll be happening.. I'm not a huge fan of a series switching POVs.

The movie, however, sort of disappointed me. As much as I thought the book gripping, the movie sort of fell flat, although it is true that Sarah's character was more developed in the movie.

I'll be trying the next book in the series when it comes out, and hoping to hear more about John, Sam, and #6..

message 49: by Christina (new)

Christina (stinalynne04) I thought this was a great Young Adult book! I have read a lot of Young Adult, but this one was tasteful and fun for the teenage population! I agree that the writing is a little lacking, but the story is attention catching and original. I will definitely read on to see what happens to the Lorians!

message 50: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 130 comments I am torn with this one...I did enjoy the book and got through it in just a couple of days, but I wouldn't say it was well written. I think the overall character development was poor and people's actions were not belivable. Why was Mark suddenly a good guy willing to risk his life for John? Why is Sam leaving home without even thinking about his mother? What teenage girl just blindly accepts that her boyfriend is an alien without any twinge of drama? It almost felt like the writers just didin't feel like addressing any of the difficult character stuff so they just left it all out. With all that said I am sure I will probably pick up the next one in the series, lol.

« previous 1