Goodreads Malaysia discussion

Arkib (50 Buku Setahun 2011) > 2011: Senarai > 50 Ain

Comments Showing 1-50 of 112 (112 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments Two adjectives: late and slow.

1. Mikhail
2. Secangkir Teh Pengubat Letih
3. The Glamour of Grammar: A Guide to the Magic and Mystery of Practical English
4. Shogun: The Life of Tokugawa Ieyasu

I am still aiming for 50 but this year I hope I can read more serious and non-fiction books. Less children story books than last year. Hopefully.

message 2: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (last edited Feb 26, 2011 05:12PM) (new)

Khairul Hezry | 2357 comments Mod
Norain MT wrote: "
3. The Glamour of Grammar: A Guide to the Magic and Mystery of Practical English"

I have this in my to-read pile. Did you find it informative?

message 3: by Norain (last edited Feb 27, 2011 05:26AM) (new)

Norain | 687 comments Pretty informative, and not the kind of book lecturing you to follow this and that and this rules. The writer wants to turn grammar from dull and tormenting to (as the title suggests) something glamorous. But if he aims for general audience, particularly in Malaysia, then he fails. Each chapter jumps straight to issues the writer thinks as important so readers need a sound, if not firm, basic in grammar. He does explain the basic at the end of each chapter (keepsake) but readers still need foundations of some sorts.

Most suitable for those who write.

message 4: by Norain (last edited Mar 03, 2011 06:25PM) (new)

Norain | 687 comments 5. They Do It With Mirrors

The way events turn out at the end is heart wrenching. I almost cried when I read Gina's letter describing how her grandmother, Carrie Louise took the death of her husband. Really good people can be really bad, huh?

message 5: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments I forgot I have (re)read these earlier.

6.The Magician's Nephew
7.The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
8.Prince Caspian
9.The Horse and His Boy
10.The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
11.The Silver Chair

Reading books that you have read can give a different feeling. Things you found amazing before, might become just ordinary. Things you hate turned out not so bad. And the other way around.

message 6: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments 12.One, Two, Buckle My Shoe

Dame Agatha's detective novels are sometimes philosophical. 'For the greater good' is being tackled here.

(Why do they call it Secret Society when practically everyone knows about it?)

message 9: by Norain (last edited Apr 08, 2011 04:25AM) (new)

Norain | 687 comments 15.The Uncommon Reader

I would have given it five stars if it were longer.

message 12: by Norain (last edited May 10, 2011 03:03AM) (new)

Norain | 687 comments 18.Train Man: The Novel

Originally a Japanese novel, Densa Otoko. There are many manga versions, a movie and a drama series but this novel was the origin of them all.

message 13: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments 19.Cakes And Ale: The Golden Age of British Feasting

History of food, a chunk of it. I like it.

message 14: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments 20.Library Architecture + Design

21.Bleak House
The first of Dickens' works that I read without reading the abridged version. Took me quite some times to finish.

message 15: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments I did Bleak House for STPM (we called it "Blurrgh House" haha) I didn't get the spontaneous combustion episode. This is one book that made no impact on me whatsoever, apart from that man who died of spontaneous combustion. The rest of the story I can't remember! Isy...

message 16: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments Abridged ke tak? Siapalah punya idea buat Dickens jadi bacaan wajib?

Actually Dickens did not explain about spontaneous combustion. It was a new theory at that time and he was quite interested in it but for the purpose of the novel, he did not delve deeply into its details. He only said 'the less the court understands, the more they like it'.

I like Bleak House. But if I were forced to read it then I too might hate it.

message 18: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments Untuk STPM, memang la tak abridged hehehe

message 19: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments Dickens for exam? Urgh, I could develop a phobia of him.

message 20: by Norain (last edited Apr 15, 2011 05:10AM) (new)

Norain | 687 comments 23.The Thirteenth Tale

I like this story. Unfortunately, it was not the type of story that haunted me even after I had started on another book. I closed the book, and the story was left shut inside it. Such a pity.

message 21: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments 24.The twelve labors of Hercules

Classic made easy.

message 22: by Norazita (new)

Norazita | 39 comments Norain MT wrote: "23.The Thirteenth Tale

I like this story. Unfortunately, it was not the type of story that haunted me even after I had started on another book. I closed the book, and the story was le..."

used to be in my wishlist, tapi tak cukup meyakinkan nak membelinya.... :)

message 23: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments Norazita wrote: "Norain MT wrote: "23.The Thirteenth Tale

I like this story. Unfortunately, it was not the type of story that haunted me even after I had started on another book. I closed the book, an..."

Not a bad book really. The premise is interesting: books, twins and ghosts. I just don't like the ending. The writer made it a tad too long for my liking. When everything is over, she still has thingS to say.

message 24: by Norain (last edited Apr 20, 2011 05:06PM) (new)

Norain | 687 comments 25.World for a Shilling: How the Great Exhibition of 1851 Shaped a Nation

I just love history! This book really made me wish I were in the crowd fighting my way into the Crystal Palace or even better, being a part of the seasonal ticket holders attending the opening ceremony on May 1st.

message 25: by Norain (last edited Apr 20, 2011 05:04PM) (new)

Norain | 687 comments 26.English Breakfast: A Biography With Recipes
I read the biography (read: history) part but only skimmed through the recipe parts. There is no way I can find time to cook those elaborate Victorian and Edwardian recipes. Yet, it was fun to know.

27.Parker Pyne Investigates
Not as good as Dame Agatha's detective novels and quite full of romance (Dame Agatha wrote romance too, so, yeah no surprise there), but I like it nonetheless. At least the short stories here were not written in the imitation of Sir Arthur Conan's Sherlock Holmes, as in the earlier Hercule Poirot's short stories. I suffered so much reading them I had to stop.

message 27: by Norain (last edited May 08, 2011 07:05AM) (new)

Norain | 687 comments 29.Three Women of Herat: A Memoir of Life, Love and Friendship in Afghanistan

I love memoirs and this one was very beautifully written; even if I do not totally agree with the writer, reading it was a pleasure. Where can you find the most beautiful stories of friendship but in real life encounters?

message 28: by Norain (last edited May 08, 2011 07:06AM) (new)

Norain | 687 comments 30.We Have Always Lived in the Castle

As much as Malaysians like hantu tahyul stories, I like horror and ghost novels (because I do not have to see ugly pontianak whose hair more beautiful than mine), and I was so eager to start on this book. But I was grievously disappointed. It was not horrifying. At all.

The premise was interesting, the narration tempting, but why the genre? You wicked nasty creature(s), whoever you were, why did you fit this in as horror and fill me to the brim with anticipation then crashed my hope into zillion of atomic nothingness in the thin air, and almost made me declare I would never touch any fiction for the rest of my life? Why?!? There is limit to cruelty and you had overstepped the bother! See, you even made me rant like Merricat. The next thing you know, I may start seeing every member of GR/MY as wanting to steal all my books from me. If I get mentally deranged you are at fault! You hear me?

I might not be so disappointed if you, Mrs Wordsmith (I am talking to you now, Mrs writer, whoever your name was I pretend that I did not bother to check), did not leave so much questions unanswered. Yes, I knew you did it on purpose; every writer did and does that. But you left too MUCh questions hanging in the air it nauseated me. At least tell me what made Merricat turned the way she was! No? Oh, silly me! Of course not that part; it would made the ending less like a gaping hole of an unfinished house. Well, then tell me why Uncle Julian said her niece Mary Katherine was dead while she was all over the book rambling on and on. At the very least tell me that so I can return your book to the library without suffering anxiety at the sight of sugar, blueberry and spider!

As a whole, this was a good book. Trust me; I was never taught to tell lies. Ha, did that tempt you my fellow GR-MYians to read this? I hope it did and you will read the book, and then I hope you will get disappointed as I did!

message 29: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Khairul Hezry | 2357 comments Mod
It wasn't supposed to be supernatural horror though. More like psychological thriller...something to mess up your mind with. Looks like it worked.

message 30: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments Shh! You are not supposed to say that out loud! It spoils the fun.

message 31: by Norain (last edited May 09, 2011 01:31AM) (new)

Norain | 687 comments 31.An Englishwoman's Love Letters

I told myself time and again to read an epistolary work and finally I did, after taking this book out of its shelf without meaning to. Two-third of it was full of happiness and love but at the final one-third, everything shattered and she was left with a broken heart.There was no answer as to why he left her and when she died, she died without knowing the real reason.

message 33: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments 33.Kimonos

message 35: by Ummu Auni (new)

Ummu Auni (ummuauni) | 539 comments wah dah 34!

message 36: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments Azam umur 21/22. Membaca untuk universiti dan selain universiti mesti selari.

Korbannya adalah masa yang diluangkan dengan kawan-kawan. Huhu. (Yang ini, in case, Atuk Khairul terbaca adalah merujuk kepada menangis).

message 37: by Ummu Auni (new)

Ummu Auni (ummuauni) | 539 comments Hehe. Rasanya akak sambung master dulu lagi kuat study dari masa degree. Masa degree, membaca bukan untuk universiti lebih banyak dari bacaan untuk universiti :p

message 38: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments Biasanya orang macam mana? Maaflah, betul-betul tak tahu fasal rutin orang yang buat Master. Kebanyakan dari kami buat Honours kemudian terus PhD.

message 39: by Ummu Auni (new)

Ummu Auni (ummuauni) | 539 comments Biasa? Sambung masters is a routine in Malaysia after degree. Tahu, UK pun macam tu juga kan.

message 40: by Kataklicik (new)

Kataklicik | 714 comments My parents once had an Australian family as tenants. The Aussie man told me, "a degree is something you were forced to do, but a Master's degree is something you choose to do". So most people memang enjoy doing their Masters banding dgn undergraduate degree. :)

message 41: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments Ummu Auni wrote: "Biasa? Sambung masters is a routine in Malaysia after degree. Tahu, UK pun macam tu juga kan."

Maksud saya biasanya orang buat Master ni kena banyak baca ke tak?

message 42: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments Kataklicik wrote: "My parents once had an Australian family as tenants. The Aussie man told me, "a degree is something you were forced to do, but a Master's degree is something you choose to do". So most people meman..."

Hoho. Ya kot. Biasanya orang terus buat PhD, tak ada Master. But I was dead sure my coursemate's boyfriend is doing Master. She said he only has one subject and also a paid job.

Apa fungsi Master untuk negara macam ni ya?

message 43: by Ummu Auni (new)

Ummu Auni (ummuauni) | 539 comments Norain MT wrote: "Ummu Auni wrote: "Biasa? Sambung masters is a routine in Malaysia after degree. Tahu, UK pun macam tu juga kan."

Maksud saya biasanya orang buat Master ni kena banyak baca ke tak?"

Banyak baca. Baca buku, baca journal. Assignment berkali2 ganda lebih banyak dari degree. I studied hard for my masters sebab sambil kerja, sambil jaga anak. Baca buku or what's related pun dari mula semester. Kalau degree macam tu, fuh.

message 44: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments Uh, kak! Hebatnya! Ada anak lagi tu. Okey, perigatan untuk diri supaya tak merungut dengan esei dan laporan. Esok barangkali lebih susah!

message 46: by Norain (new)

Norain | 687 comments 36.Mrs. Dalloway

Quite a hard read. Thank God it was not that long.

message 48: by Ummu Auni (new)

Ummu Auni (ummuauni) | 539 comments If I have the chance..Sekarang ni bersusun buku waiting to be read. I think I'll relax a bit, and don't target to read as many books as I can. It's much better if I slow down & enjoy, :D

message 49: by Norain (last edited Jun 04, 2011 04:02PM) (new)

Norain | 687 comments 38.Lyrics Alley

If I were to talk about this book from literature perspective, I would say it was so-so. The style was easygoing but too easygoing to be called great. Good maybe, but great, improvements could be made. (I want to give her editor a good spanking for leaving obvious mistakes [like 'remindes'] unchecked. Makan gaji buta ke apa?)

But message-wise, I had plenty of praises to give. I believe some books just do not have to be too fanciful to be good.

« previous 1 3