Goodreads Malaysia discussion

Arkib III > networking sites give more harm than good?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lolliepop (last edited Feb 26, 2011 02:23AM) (new)

Lolliepop (snhz) | 246 comments Assalamualaikum..jika hari itu kita berbincang ttg pelajar di sekolah di Malaysia, hari ini saya ingin mengetengahkan isu ini pula..

"networking sites give more harm than good"

actually, this is the motion..haha..jadi, silalah mengutarakan idea2 anda. tidak kira menyokong atau membangkang...terima kasih!!

message 2: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Khairul Hezry | 2357 comments Mod
Like all tools, sites like FB and twitter have both good and bad qualities.

Good: they allow us to, well, 'network' (God, I hate that word).

Bad: we can spend an inordinate amount of time on them to the detriment of everything else in life. Also, is this the future of human interaction? Through words via a screen?

I personally don't have much of an opinion because I don't spend much time on FB, twitter et al. I find them boring. I have an account at those places but I only use it to promote new posts whenever I write something new on my blog, not to interact, because really, nobody wants to know what I had for breakfast in 140 words. I don't want to know what I had breakfast in 140 words.

message 3: by Lolliepop (new)

Lolliepop (snhz) | 246 comments Khairul H. wrote: "Like all tools, sites like FB and twitter have both good and bad qualities.

Good: they allow us to, well, 'network' (God, I hate that word).

Bad: we can spend an inordinate amount of time on th..."

ok..that's funny. i dont want to know either..haha..although u say they have both good and bad qualities, i can see that u are inclined towards the bad..

yes, human interaction via a screen seems..well, weird?

message 4: by Lolliepop (new)

Lolliepop (snhz) | 246 comments and by writing networking sites, i mean internet generally..:)

so, it could be social network or even yahoo or google or goodreads..hah

message 5: by Juliana Es (last edited Feb 26, 2011 11:17PM) (new)

Juliana Es (julianaes) | 857 comments Mod
I come from the same school of thoughts as Khairul. Networking sites are merely tools. Good or bad depends very much on the person using the tool. Goodreads is a good example. We are here to exchange ideas, review books, etc. We agree to disagree. So, because it happens that Goodreads is populated by well-mannered people (mostly, because readers usually are), then I can safely say that a networking site like Goodreads is very enlightening and enriching besides entertaining.

As for FB and Twitter, again, depends on what we use them for.

message 6: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Lolliepop wrote: "although u say they have both good and bad qualities, i can see that u are inclined towards the bad.."

Yes, because it takes time away from reading a proper book. People who don't read books because they "got no time lah" can spend hours on FB and texting on their phones.

message 7: by Lolliepop (new)

Lolliepop (snhz) | 246 comments Khairul H. wrote: "Lolliepop wrote: "although u say they have both good and bad qualities, i can see that u are inclined towards the bad.."

Yes, because it takes time away from reading a proper book. People who don'..."

true enough..i dont have FB and i dont own a handphone because i am still in high school...but, i can see that most of my friends say that they cant finish even a single novel with excuses like they dont have time, the novel is too thick, so busy and whatsoever but they really have time for FB..weird enough..i admit as a student in my school(which gave great attention to academic and extra co-curricular), its quite busy..but, as self-proclaim book-lover, i will try may hardest to steal time to read every single day..even a chapter of any novel, although, of course it is rare for me to read a chapter in school days..and, thats happen when i dont have FB account..haih~

message 8: by Juliana Es (new)

Juliana Es (julianaes) | 857 comments Mod
Khairul H. wrote: "Yes, because it takes time away from reading a proper book. People who don't read books because they "got no time lah" can spend hours on FB and texting on their phones."

Yet people who can spend hours on FB claim that that has nothing to do with "not enough time to read books".

message 9: by Clerk Can (new)

Clerk Can | 146 comments "human interaction via a screen seems..well, weird?"

Its not weird at all to have interaction. I mean, if your want to have a chat, go have a private chat or something, get a skype, SMS or whatever.

Why should you write your 'status' at facebook so anybody could see it?

They way i see it, facebook or tweeter is for attention seekers and zuckerberg knows it very well.

Muhammad Fakhruddin (faka91) | 17 comments Maybe fb and twitter had succesfully develop more introvert person?

message 11: by Lolliepop (new)

Lolliepop (snhz) | 246 comments if we look at this problem without the prejudge, we might see that social networking site may provide good, actually..before that, we got to know that social networking site is not all about FB or Twitter.as an example, LinkedIn has over than 40 million users worldwide and their purpose is to interconnect professional, and yes, this site is a social networking site,too, just like FB and Twitter. what do you think? in another aspect? like gaining information or business deal or strengthening social bonds?

message 12: by Lolliepop (new)

Lolliepop (snhz) | 246 comments Muhammad Fakhruddin wrote: "Maybe fb and twitter had succesfully develop more introvert person?"

haha..i like the word 'introvert'...

message 13: by Mi_kan (new)

Mi_kan | 33 comments for me, social networking sites bring more good than harm <<<(im compelled to think like it cause im the oppo)

message 14: by Lolliepop (new)

Lolliepop (snhz) | 246 comments Mi_kan wrote: "for me, social networking sites bring more good than harm <<<(im compelled to think like it cause im the oppo)"

oh..cut the crap! give the contention as!

psss sorry..this is my friend...haha

message 15: by Faizah Roslaini (new)

Faizah Roslaini | 825 comments Mod
Khairul H. wrote: "Lolliepop wrote: "although u say they have both good and bad qualities, i can see that u are inclined towards the bad.."

Yes, because it takes time away from reading a proper book. People who don'..."

#Ehyeke??

message 16: by Khairul Hezry, I hate people but not you. You, I like. (new)

Ya lor. Bookworms do tweet and spend time on FB but people who don't read say they have no time at all to read but can spend hours on social networking sites.

message 17: by Faizah Roslaini (new)

Faizah Roslaini | 825 comments Mod
Some of us tweet and read too. No problem.

Janganlah buat twitter itu macam laman chatting. Kalau mcm itu memang lah ia akan menjadi distraction yang besar untuk membaca. You know yourself, so pandai pandailah impose limitations suitable to you.

FB on the other hand....apabenda tu??!!! Hoho

message 18: by Siti (new)

Siti Rahmah | 174 comments saya ada fb and friendster. tp tujuan utama hanya untuk merapatkan hubungan dan mencari kawan2 lama sahaja. nak main game ke apa saya x tau.

nk letak status dlm tu jarang2 kecuali yang betul2 saya nak kongsi. jarang sekali nk melepaskan perasaan kat sana kecuali mmg dh tak tahan.

dan mmg x pernah pulak gunakan fb atau fs sebagai medan menacaci,menghina atau memburukkan org....

kena la pandai2 nak guna untuk kebaikan bukan untuk keburukan

message 19: by Aidura (new)

Aidura (sofira) | 1472 comments Kesemuanya ada PRO dan KONTRA, ada positif dan negatif tapi pandai-pandailah...

1. Membawa diri,
2. Menjaga diri,
3. Mengurus masa,
4. Buatlah aktiviti/amalan yang hasilnya boleh dimanfaatkan untuk kebaikan di dunia dan juga di akhirat kelak.

Fikir-fikirkanlah menggunakan akal yang waras.

KUASA DI TANGAN ANDA! ;)

message 20: by Siti (new)

Siti Rahmah | 174 comments Aidura wrote: "Kesemuanya ada PRO dan KONTRA, ada positif dan negatif tapi pandai-pandailah...

1. Membawa diri,
2. Menjaga diri,
3. Mengurus masa,
4. Buatlah aktiviti/amalan yang hasilnya boleh dimanfaatkan..."

setuju