Book freaks discussion

It's all Fun & Games > Vocabulary

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Johnnie (new)

Johnnie (berfer) One thing my wife and I enjoy is the discovery of a new word. Tonight's word is demotic=language used by ordinary people; popular or colloquial language.

message 2: by Johnnie (new)

Johnnie (berfer) Fecund= capable of producing an abundance of offspring or new growth; fertile.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sol | 28 comments well... pulchritude= beauty

message 4: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 55 comments ubiquitous: the act of being everywhere. I'm trying to be ubiquitous on romance blogs so readers will give me a chance to entertain them.

obsequious: being overly humble in an annoying manner...what I hope I'm not doing.

ingratiating: making yourself pleasant to the beholder. what I hope I AM doing.

message 5: by Sayshisweetie (new)

Sayshisweetie | 71 comments sycophant-a self-seeking, servile flatterer; fawning parasite

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 55 comments Go to this website for a list of 100 whimsical words:
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/100-w...

Lots of fun words here!

message 7: by Johnnie (new)

Johnnie (berfer) Dun (from Moby Dick and True Grit)= color of a beast, a dull greyish brown color such as a dun horse or a dun whale.

message 8: by Johnnie (new)

Johnnie (berfer) Appurtenances= accessories or other items associated wit a particular activity or style of living; the appurtenances of a British officer (Moby Dick and Sharpe's Fortress).

message 9: by Johnnie (new)

Johnnie (berfer) inveigle= persuade someone to do something be means of deception or flattery (from Guernsey Literary...).

message 10: by Keerthana (new)

Keerthana Kesavan | 164 comments Obstreperous: noisy, unruly

message 11: by Johnnie (new)

Johnnie (berfer) pergola: an archway in a garden consisting of a framework covered with trained or climbing and trailing plants (Guernsey Potato Peel Pie).

message 12: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 55 comments unobtrusively: without being seen, as in the students always try to check their texts on their cell phones unobtrusively when I'm subbing for them!

message 13: by Johnnie (new)

Johnnie (berfer) bibelot= small decorative ornament or trinket (Potato Peel Pie).

message 14: by Johnnie (last edited Mar 11, 2011 10:06PM) (new)

Johnnie (berfer) Ironmonger=a person selling hardware tools and either household tools or manufacturing tooling. I am an ironmonger for I sell steel tools in the form of heavy finishing equipment! (Potato Peel Pie).

message 15: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 55 comments Prurient: lewd and lustful in thought and desire.
As in, those who want to tell everyone else what they can and can't do in their own homes with consenting adults, always display the most prurient interest in learning exactly WHAT it is that they do.

message 16: by RocGoddess (new)

RocGoddess | 27 comments overwhelming and wondrous.divine.these are my best words

message 17: by Ms BookAholic (new)

Ms BookAholic (missbooksaholic) Chivalrous: valiant;
: of, relating to, or characteristic of chivalry and knight-errantry

: marked by honor, generosity, and courtesy

: marked by gracious courtesy and high-minded consideration especially to women

~Sammy

message 18: by Connie (new)

Connie Halfpop pungent - foul smelling

message 19: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo pusillanimous- cowardly

message 20: by Ms BookAholic (new)

Ms BookAholic (missbooksaholic) Filched- to appropriate furtively or casually

message 21: by Bri (new)

Bri (rowan13) | 24 comments Syzygy - A kind of unity, namely an alignment of three celestial bodies (for example, the Sun, Earth, and Moon) such that one body is directly between the other two, such as occurs at an eclipse

message 22: by Bri (new)

Bri (rowan13) | 24 comments Quixotic - : foolishly impractical especially in the pursuit of ideals; especially : marked by rash lofty romantic ideas or extravagantly chivalrous action
(Dragonfly in Amber-Outlander Series)

message 23: by Sayshisweetie (new)

Sayshisweetie | 71 comments Like Don Quixote?

message 24: by J. (new)

J. (jconrad) | 5 comments Imbroglio (ĭm-brōl ' yō): A difficult or intricate situation; an entanglement.

message 25: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo willowwacks-a wooded, uninhabited area!

message 26: by Sayshisweetie (new)

Sayshisweetie | 71 comments Ambidextrous- able to fully utilize both hands

message 27: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo lionize- to make something important

message 28: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (pisarsky) | 14 comments Bourgeoisie - a social class characterized by their ownership of capital and their related culture. I keep trying to find a way to bring this word up at a meeting, for my own entertainment. It's hard to insert it into any normal conversation without sounding like a goober.

message 29: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo nyctophobia- fear of darkness

message 30: by Keerthana (new)

Keerthana Kesavan | 164 comments Shenanigan: Nonsense or trickery.

message 31: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo boscage: a mass of tree/shrubs

message 32: by Suefly (new)

Suefly | 319 comments Ravelment--entanglement; confusion.

message 33: by Candy Aya (new)

Candy Aya (notyourgirlnextdoor) | 196 comments bolshie - uncooperative: tending to be argumentative or uncooperative

message 34: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo haimish: Homey; cozy and unpretentious.

message 35: by Alisa (new)

Alisa Bilk-obtain or withhold money from (someone) by deceit or without justification; cheat or defraud

Maurizio (matemati) Fice : A small mongrel dog

message 37: by Sam (new)

Sam | 12 comments fetching: pretty/beautiful

message 38: by Soul, the Book Keeper (last edited Jan 09, 2013 03:24AM) (new)

Soul (soulkeeper720) | 3876 comments Mod
i know my word is not exactly following the theme here, but it's something that every reader should know(i think)

Naruto : It's one of The most popular Manga series ever.. The title of the series follows the name of lead character. It is also one of the major hit Anime show.

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Coitus-intercourse, sexual mingling.

message 40: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Evans | 15 comments Bugbear- any source, real or imaginary, of needless fright or fear.