Young Adult Fiction for Adults discussion

Anna and the French Kiss...

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina (last edited Feb 25, 2011 11:30PM) (new)

Kristina | 2 comments Wow I just finished this book and I am in love with the whole concept of it. Paris, english men, romance
I adore Étienne. Probably my dream guy :)
I was wondering what you all thought of the book and

I really wanted to know what guy you picture when you imagine Étienne?

I read somewhere that this girl imagined Francisco Lachowski as him and I do find him attractive it wasn't what I pictured.
Also know any books like this with the setting Paris or London and an incredible Male lead. (Romance)

message 2: by Marianne (last edited Feb 26, 2011 12:59AM) (new)

Marianne (mariiyan) | 11 comments I loooove the book! I agree, Etienne = dream guy!

I am also trying to find other books like this. If you want, you can try reading chic lit (British). Like Sophie Kinsella's novels. It's not really similar with Anna and the French Kiss but the male lead is uhhmazing! :)

message 3: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 484 comments It's on my to-read list :D

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi This book was one of my favorites of 2011 (so far). It just made me happy!

message 5: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I loved it too. So much so that after I read it on my Kindle I rushed out for the Hardcover. Etienne is absolutely Swoon worthy material.

I agree that Francisco Lachowski is not who I see as St Clair. I honestly haven't thought of who would be good to play him.

message 6: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Haha, I just looked up pictures of that kid and he does look like the Etienne that I pictured (if his hair were more epic and he maybe wasn't so ridiculously toned).

message 7: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylawrites89) | 350 comments it's on my TBR list. I'm excited to read it.

message 8: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 1275 comments I loved this story. I don't know who I pictured but St. Clair is such a cutie.

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill | 68 comments Absolutely fell in love with this book. And, I was so excited to find Shakespeare and Company mentioned! I have a huge picture of the front of that store in my bedroom. She describes it exactly as it looks.

message 10: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I just read this one and loved it too. I haven't posted my review yet. I did have some serious beef with St. Clair. Not so much that I didn't like him (because I did), but it annoyed me. Then he's start talking, and I'd forget. Then, I'd remember and get mad again. Ugh. Swoon. Ugh. Swoon!

message 11: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I agree Peep. His indecision at the end annoyed me.

message 12: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) He sure was indecicive, lmao. I forgave him though because he was going through so much.

I think the only reason that kid doesn't remind me of Etienne is because he's a bit too skinny. I pictured Etienne to be shorter and stockier.

message 13: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Boy that Francisco likes to take pics with his shirt off! He is so scrawny you think that they would tell him to keep it on! Anywho, when he is clothed he does look like Etienne - he also has great hair so watch out RPatz! Peep you were supposed to get annoyed by him - otherwise the book when have been done in about 100 pages! Ha.

message 14: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I mean, I was really annoyed. I wanted to have a talk with Anna. If I wasn't so busy swooning, I would've hated the end. But I didn't, so I swooned a bit more, 'cause I couldn't resist it!

message 15: by Heidi (new)

Heidi He is just too darn charming Peep! Damn him!

message 16: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) He was! I wanted to punchug him hard!

Hey, will there be more books?

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi On Stephanie Perkins website it says her next book "Lola and the French Kiss" is a companion novel to Anna. It is due to be released Sept 2011. There is also a 3rd book due out a year after that which is a companion to both books.

message 18: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Hmmmm, interesting.

message 19: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Oh, I went on her site but didn't see that. But it was before I was done with the book, so I didn't look too hard for fear of spoilers.

Companion to a companion book. Hmmmm. Is that a first?

message 20: by Arizel紫 (new)

Arizel紫 (Arizel) Really that good? I will read this...

message 21: by Jaimie (new)

Jaimie (jaimier) | 1275 comments I totally feel the wanting to punch St.Clair bit - there were times when I was wondering if his charm outweighed his poor decision making skills but he always ended up winning me over. Sigh. He is just so, yeah.

message 22: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) *Evil Laugh* Well, I think that I might try to stir the pot just a tad bit here. I didn't really like St. Clair. Hated the name, thought he was indecisive and a little wimpy, and at times the "British" accent just seemed way over the top. I was rolling my eyes just a bit.

I did like the book though :P

message 23: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) You can tell when it's a good book when you end up still liking it even after all that. Usually, it makes me put books in the 1-star category but not for this one.

message 24: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Yeah, that's right. I did like the main character, which typically is make it or break it for me. I like that she did her own thing and didn't fall into a pile of wallowing despair when St. Clair was ignoring her (not too much anyway).

message 25: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I loved Anna, she had a sweet fresh voice and thought she felt realistic. I also liked St Clair. I thought he was indecisive, but then again I prefer when the main characters have these flaws that a real person would have. I thought his hesitancy was pretty darn realistic.

message 26: by Heidi (last edited Feb 28, 2011 05:25PM) (new)

Heidi Anna was a great protaganist.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments Alright, I just finished the book today and I loved it. It was absolutely fantastic.

But I can't help but wonder if the attraction to Etienne St. Claire had more to do with circumstances and Paris and less to do with his personality. Yes he was annoying and I wanted to smack him, but then he would be really sweet and I would want to smother him with kisses.

I guess what I'm saying is, that this book seemed a lot like a love letter to Paris. Where these characters got to hit all these great Paris hot spots. They were on the verge of doing all the touristy stuff, without really don't it all, because they lived there. And where better to have a love story than Paris. Sigh.

So good. Speaking of, have you guys seen Paris je t'aime?? It's also a love letter to Paris, but in film form and I loved it (if you don't mind subtitles that is)

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi I was just in love with his hair Brittany!

message 31: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Ok...maybe it just wasn't the hair

message 33: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) Well and I think what I loved about Etienne was not only that he LOOKED hot, but that he felt realistic. I mean, come on, I know that there are times when my husband is such an idiot and I want to smack him and other times when I want to smother his face with kisses. Etienne St Clair felt 3 dimentional to me. I can't stand characters who are so perfect they are unreal, like Ash in the Iron Fey series. Yes, he's hot, but I have a hard time caring that he's hot because he's just too... unreal.

message 34: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Wendy very well said! I actually put something like that in my review. I loved how the characters were believable and their love story was as well. I really don't like the Twilight type love stories where the characters are in love for absolutely no reason (except that one of them is so hot all the girls fall over and the other one has cool smelling blood - yuck!)

message 35: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I agree completely. That's why I tend to like the underdog, because in those types of stories the underdog usually is the one who carries those realistic traits. They make mistakes, which makes the sweet moments even sweeter.

message 36: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) I totally agree! My favorite love stories are always the ones with flawed characters. In my experience, it's always the little foibles and scars that become the most cherished (cheesy, I know) parts of someone that I love.

Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun) | 1328 comments I'm not arguing with you ladies. I also enjoy it when a character has flaws. I loved the heights thing. And that he was being all Emo most of the time. But I have to admit with this character it's all lust, not love. But that's just me. Maybe I've just forgotten what it's like to be in high school.

message 38: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Man you ladies are forgiving! I wonder if reactions would be different if it were from more than one point of view? I really enjoyed the book. You could tell it was well written because Anna's thoughts certainly affected mine (mentioned that in my review). :P

message 39: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Haha, well you'll notice that my reply was a total generality and had nothing specific about Etienne. LOL. I wasn't really a big fan, like I said before...I liked the book mainly for Anna.

message 40: by Heidi (last edited Mar 09, 2011 06:20PM) (new)

Heidi Spoilers************

You have to admit Anna and St. Claire were friends - they had real interactions and did things together. I could see why she fell for him more than just his looks. They also both had flaws, which is nice to see sometimes.

Peep it would not have been a book if St. Claire wouldn't have been a cad for awhile. He did the right thing in the end! Plus...remember the hair! How can you not forgive someone with that hair? Hahaha I just totally discounted my earlier thought didn't I?

message 41: by Wendy F (last edited Mar 09, 2011 06:08PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I still say that it's not so easy to do the right thing when (view spoiler). I just think that he made some wrong choices, but who doesn't. Love him!

message 42: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) I can't discuss this without writing plot spoilers....

message 43: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I didn't even realize this wasn't a spoiler thread. I'll alter my post.

message 44: by Catie (last edited Mar 09, 2011 06:09PM) (new)

Catie (nematome) You could always use the (view spoiler)

message 45: by Catie (new)

Catie (nematome) Honestly...I think we've all read the book, right?

message 46: by Peep (Pop! Pop!) (new)

Peep (Pop! Pop!) Catie, we have but new people to the discussion might now have, haha.

Oh yeah, I guess I'm not as forgiving about the fact that (view spoiler) The only flaw that I thought was (view spoiler)

message 47: by Wendy F (last edited Mar 09, 2011 06:34PM) (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) I suppose what I meant was (view spoiler).

I loved that too! And (view spoiler). So sweet.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Okay, so I liked the book.

Even though I generally don't like realistic fiction. This one was pretty darn adorable.

I may have to chase this with something heavy now, but either way, it was a fun, fun book.

message 49: by Heidi (new)

Heidi It was cute wasn't it Stacia (aka Mistress of Mediocrity). I would chase it with a Melina Marchetta book - talk about heavy!