The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Favorite Authors/Books/Series > John Sandford Prey series

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 16 comments Do any of you read these? I read my first one about 2 years ago and I had to read 7 in a row before I took a break. They are just amazing page-turners and they're all good. I just noticed there wasn't a thread on him.

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan Jaime, I have alot of these books on my shelves but haven't read any of them yet. Glad to hear you enjoyed them!! Maybe I should move them up in my piles!!!

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee | 181 comments I've read through #16 (Broken) of his Prey series, one of the best out there.

Next, I need to start looking for his 'Virgil Flowers" series, heard that's really good also.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/j...

message 4: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35404 comments I've read a number of them. I'm never sure which ones. And I have a bunch that are on the shelf waiting for me. Last year, I listenend to one as I was driving on my vacation.

I just downloaded on my kindle the first Virgil Flowers.

message 5: by Jaime (new)

Jaime (janastasiow) | 16 comments Susan wrote: "Jaime, I have alot of these books on my shelves but haven't read any of them yet. Glad to hear you enjoyed them!! Maybe I should move them up in my piles!!!"

I know I had a bunch I'd gotten at a used bookstore and never read. When I finally picked one up I couldn't believe I'd missed out on him all that time.

message 6: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments I've read them all - except maybe the latest one...And love the Virgil Flowers series, too....

I like these written as Sandford better than the Kidd series written as John Camp.

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee | 181 comments So T....yer saying he writes better with his "other" name, then his "real" name!!! :)

message 8: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (mogitha) | 17 comments I've read Broken Prey, and it was really good. I buy used, so it's always a surprise of what I'll find, I haven't read the others yet. But in time, I'm sure I will.

message 9: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments I don't know that he writes better under one name or another, I just like the characters better I guess!

message 10: by Tracy (last edited Mar 22, 2011 12:25PM) (new)

Tracy | 32 comments I read Eyes of Prey a long time ago. I really liked how he got into the mind of the killer in some of his chapters.

I've been trying to locate his first book Rules of Preyin the used book stores around here so I can start the series in order. I just have to read series in order--even if it isn't necessary.

message 11: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Tracy: Half-Price Books (hpb.com) has Rules of Prey if you don't mind doing mail order....

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments I've read all of the Prey books and have most of the Sandford books on my bookshelves to re-read. His Prey series is one of the few I have on 'pre-order' at Amazon, buy new before I ever read the book. I have very limited bookshelf space, so the only books I do buy like that are ones I know I will want to re-read. I really like the earlier Prey series but I also like the character Davenport has matured into as well and think Sandford has done an excellent job of allowing the characters to change over time.

I liked his Kidd series as John Camp very well too, have all of those. Have a couple of the Virgil Flowers series, have read the others, haven't quite decided if all of them are going to be 're-reads' for me or not.

message 13: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments One of the Prey books has Lucas' favorite music list in the back - what fun!

And Virgil has his music t-shirt collection!

message 14: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 32 comments T wrote: "Tracy: Half-Price Books (hpb.com) has Rules of Prey if you don't mind doing mail order...."

Thanks! I forgot about hpb!

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments I had to replace my books after a fire and have used eBay, half.com and PaperbackSwap. Amazon also has a list of used books available which can be ordered through them from outside listings, which has always worked well for me too.

I have limited local options ... one bookstore, one used bookstore.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

John Sandford is one of my favorite crime and thriller author's. I love his Prey novels and have read quite a few of them. My favorites are: "Mind Prey", "Night Prey", "Easy Prey", and "Chosen Prey". John Sandford is a great crime writer. I hope to read more.

message 17: by Patty (new)

Patty Barnett (barnettfineart) | 2 comments My first post for this group. I also have read all but the latest of the Prey books. Sandford is definitely one of my favorite crime writers. Well, I also love Patterson, Baldacchi, Ludlum, etc. There are really so many excellent writers in this genre.
I usually alternate between thrillers and what I call "Judith books". Judith is part owner of one of our local bookstores. She reads and recommends a more varied group of books - like The Time Travelers Wife, which I also loved.
This is too long, sorry.

message 18: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Patty. I recently picked up a Prey novel at a used book sale and after all these good comments I'll have to move it up the TBR list.

By the way, no comments are too long!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

John Sandford is a very talented and interesting crime and thriller writer. I love his Prey novels. I haven't read all of them but quite a few. Lucas Davenport is one of a kind. I like his character. Does anyone know how many more Prey novels John Sandord is scheduled to write before ending the Prey series?

message 20: by Tabitha Cothern (new)

Tabitha Cothern | 10 comments I just discovered and read all of the Prey series and the Virgil Flowers series. Now John Sandford is on my auto-buy list. I love both Lucas and Virgil. Great detectives, and I love the fact that John Sandford has written the two as very different characters that look at things in different ways, but are still both fantastic characters I love to read. A lot of times authors will introduce a new series where the new protagonist is essentially the same character as their previous series. Not so, in my opinion, with these two

message 21: by paul (new)

paul burke (anntony475) | 56 comments anyone into the crime books of Benjamin Black? a nom de plume of john banville, a highly praised Irish writer. read an interesting story of Banville/Black in the New Yorker last week.....so i went on the wait-list for Black's "A summer of death" just published. appreciate any views.

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary I was looking for a new author to read and a lady in a second-hand book shop recommended I read John Sandford. Read the first one out of sequence and then spent a couple of weeks trying to get all the books together, to start from Book 1. I was so happy to see he had written so many in the "Prey" series. Took me a few weeks to get through them all. I loved them and now eagerly await the latest one. I will also be reading the "Virgil Flowers" series, as I liked his character when he appeared in the "Prey" series.

message 23: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice I too have read all of The Prey series. He i also one of my favorites authors. I also love the fact that Davenport has evolved as a character and the author shows both his strengths and well as his vulnerabilities. And the fact that as I have grown older so has he. There are a lot of authors that don't do that with their characters. Unfortunately, I did not keep all of the books in this series, as I have limited space (although I have over 1,200 books in a 683 sq ft apartment). I have found myself checking out of the library to re-read them. But I also have way too many un-read books. :) I also have his first Virgil Flowers book and I tried really hard to read it once however I just could not get into it at the time. But now with more readers saying that it was also a good series I may have to try to find it somewhere amongst all of my books. Have you ever read any of Jeffrey Deaver's books. He too is an awesome writer.

I also love Julia Spencer-Fleming. She is a great writer.
And then there is James Patterson. I do enjoy his books however it seems to me that his stand alone books, even though most of them are pretty good, they don't have the depth that the authors I've already listed. And they are so short that I simply don't feel that I need to run out and buy the newest one because it's so short and takes so little time to read and again don't have a lot of depth.

message 24: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Love the Davenport and Flowers series, didn't care for the Kidd series.

message 25: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice I've never read any of the Kidd series. To be quite honest when I went to his books in the store all I saw was the pray books. The only reason that I ended up with the first Flowers book was when it fist came out and was such a big seller.

message 26: by Mary (new)

Mary Have kept all of my Sandford books, because they were so hard to track down initially, I think that I'll be re-reading them at some stage, so I don't want to let them go. I usually read more hard-core thrillers, like Karin Slaughter, Jack Kerley, Richard Montanari, Alex Kava, to name just a few, so really for me, Sandford was pretty light reading.

message 27: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice I love Slaughter and Alex Kava but I'll have to look up the other because I have not herd of them before.

message 28: by Mary (new)

Mary Well, you may like the others I have mentioned. Also, I would add to this list of authors, Lisa Gardner, Mo Hayder, Brian Freeman, Cody McFaddyn, Stuart McBride and Chris Mooney, again, to name but a few. I am always on the look-out for new authors in this genre.

message 29: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice You are going to make me go on a library spluge!! :D I have read Lisa Gardner and Brian Freeman. I got my first Mo Hayder book from the library on Wednesday. So that means I now have 5 new authors to go check out! :D Seriously, Thanks for the recommendations.

message 30: by John (new)

John Karr (karr) | 122 comments Enjoyed the first four in the Prey series, then kind of drifted away.

message 31: by Mary (new)

Mary Karendenice wrote: "You are going to make me go on a library spluge!! :D I have read Lisa Gardner and Brian Freeman. I got my first Mo Hayder book from the library on Wednesday. So that means I now have 5 new authors ..."

Hope you like them, as you seem to like a lot of authors I also like, I think you will enjoy them.

message 32: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ | 17 comments Murrowboy2 wrote: "anyone into the crime books of Benjamin Black? a nom de plume of john banville, a highly praised Irish writer. read an interesting story of Banville/Black in the New Yorker last week.....so i wen..."

I have his new book at home here but have not read it yet. Did read his first one and enjoyed that.

message 33: by Karendenice (new)

Karendenice Thank you Mary. I have finished up a cozy mystery this am. And right now I'm spending a bit of time in The Bookseller of Kabul by Åsne Seierstad and then I think that in a few hours I will start Ritual by Mo Hayder . Tomorrow I'll try to get time to look up all of the other authors and make a list for my next library visit. No matter how many books I have I always want more. I'd be too embarrassed to tell you how many I already have at home from the library. (And that doesn't count the ones at home that I own and haven't read) ! :D

message 34: by Dee (new)

Dee (deegirl) I haven't read Sandford yet, I have one of his from a used book sale. After reading all your comments, I am definitely going to try him. thanks a bunch!

message 35: by Maryfox (new)

Maryfox | 396 comments Sandford is my favorite. I've read all of the Prey series that's in paperback and Virgil Flowers, too. Love Virgil. He's a hoot. Also very much like the Kidd books and wish there were more of them.

I can always re-read a Sandford.

message 36: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I read the first one, loved it. Then I got distracted by "Virgil Flowers" (that efin' Flowers).

message 37: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments Maryfox wrote: "Sandford is my favorite. I've read all of the Prey series that's in paperback and Virgil Flowers, too. Love Virgil. He's a hoot. Also very much like the Kidd books and wish there were more of th..."

Sounds just like something I would have written, my thoughts exactly.

message 38: by The Pirate Ghost (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I listened to Dark Of The Moonas an Audoi Book. That was my first and i was hooked on Virgil Flowers. The narrator sounded like Sam Sheppard. It worked. Since then I've read/listened to, about two others and I have another waiting in a kindle book. This isn't your average cop here.

message 39: by Tabitha Cothern (new)

Tabitha Cothern | 10 comments Has anybody else read Shock Wave yet? I loved it, as I expected. I just discovered John Sandford earlier this year, read all his Prey books and Virgil Flowers books. He's now one of my top 10 favorite authors across all genres. I read a lot, and in a variety of genres, so that's a tough list to make ;)

message 40: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Michael | 674 comments Sandford is one of my favorite authors as well. Robert Parker and Dick Francis were two others, both now deceased. Thomas Perry is also very good and a fairly recent author, Craig Johnson, as a modern-west series of mysteries I am very addicted to.