Pulp Magazine Authors and Literature Fans discussion

Specific authors/works > H.P. Lovecraft

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abhay (new)

Abhay | 14 comments Hey guys I am new to goodreads and just posting this discussion here to know any other Lovecraft fans.

message 2: by Werner (new)

Werner Abhay, Lovecraft is one of my favorite writers --and there are some people in this group who are even much more into his work than I am! So you'll be right at home here in that department. :-) Welcome to Goodreads, and hope you come to enjoy it as much as I do!

message 3: by Abhay (new)

Abhay | 14 comments Thanks Werner

message 4: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed  Burhan Abdi Osman (mohammedaosman) | 70 comments Welcome Abhah. Im reading HPL collction right now and see if his writing is for me.

message 5: by Creature (new)

Creature | 5 comments Hello:
Count me in as a Lovecraft reader as well.
Have a Great Day!!!
The "Creature"

message 6: by John (last edited Jun 29, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

John Karr (karr) | 62 comments Slowly working my way through an H.P. Horror Anthology. Enjoyed The Outsider and The Picture In The House most so far.

Rats In The Walls had me wondering why Roman stuff was in Virginia, USA.

I'm finding H.P. was more of an atmosphere / suspense writer, more so than my pulp hero, Robert E. Howard. It's almost a little too much with the adjectives, but am enjoying the material.

Great link here to H.P.'s material: http://www.hplovecraft.com/

From The Outsider:
"As I approached the arch I began to perceive the presence more clearly; and then, with the first and last sound I ever uttered—a ghastly ululation that revolted me almost as poignantly as its noxious cause—I beheld in full, frightful vividness the inconceivable, indescribable, and unmentionable monstrosity which had by its simple appearance changed a merry company to a herd of delirious fugitives."

message 7: by Philip (new)

Philip Hemplow | 8 comments Yah, he does occasionally sound like a sixth-former with a thesaurus, but it's his way of trying to communicate mounting hysteria. At times it does seem a tad overwrought - "hippopotami should not have human hands and carry torches!" being probably the most frequently cited example - but he generally makes it work. Unlike a lot of people who tried to carry off his style.

(Big fan of the HPL)

message 8: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 18 comments Philip wrote: "Unlike a lot of people who tried to carry off his style..."

I think the problem is most people who try to carry off his style (going all the way back to August Derleth at least) get too caught up in the surface details -- the ancient tomes and squidgy tentacled things that eat your head -- and miss the undercurrents -- the inconceivably vast epochs of time and expanses of space against which we're something less than a mayfly.

message 9: by Philip (new)

Philip Hemplow | 8 comments Absolutely. August Derleth really, really didn't get it, if you ask me.

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 18 comments I have nothing but admiration and respect for Derleth's work in preserving Lovecraft, but I find his Mythos fiction almost unreadable. (I've heard that his non-Mythos stuff is better, but I haven't investigated.)

message 11: by Werner (new)

Werner Derleth basically (mis)interpreted Lovecraft's Mythos fiction in a dualistic sense, with rival pantheons of Elder Gods, one malevolent and the other not, dueling on a cosmic level. He wasn't into the Lovecraft "cosmicism" that Joseph mentioned, whether he really didn't "get" it, or got it but deliberately chose to re-interpret it. But either way, that's a forgiveable offense, for Lovecraft fans like myself who aren't into the cosmicism either and see it as a flaw in HPL's writing (I know, we're weird :-) ). Personally, Derleth's "Beyond the Threshold," "The Dweller in Darkness," and "The House in the Valley" are some of my favorite Mythos pastiches.

Joseph, the only non-Mythos Derleth story I've read is "The Return of Andrew Bentley," which I liked a lot. But my taste obviously differs somewhat from yours, so you might not react to it the same way.

message 12: by Philip (new)

Philip Hemplow | 8 comments Good points. I think it goes slightly further than that though, in that my bigger beef is that he systematically attempted to demystify the Mythos, reconciling ambiguities and contradictions that HPL left deliberately. HPL's genius was that he realised that in order for the Mythos to be convincing it had to be nebulous. (With the added bonus of the freedom that not being pinned to a particular pantheon and background narrative allowed.) When AD came along and started assigning deities to elements, filling in the blanks with arbitrary new ones, and attempting to establish a coherent canon, he kind-of failed to appreciate that.

message 13: by Werner (new)

Werner Philip, thanks for pointing that out! I'd only read the three Derleth pastiches I mentioned above, so I wasn't as aware of that. I did know that HPL actually had a good many internal contradictions and inconsistencies in his portrayals of the Great Old Ones (he probably didn't really intend to establish one consistent Mythos --Derleth, not Lovecraft, coined that term). You're right that A.D.'s "help" in that area wasn't really helpful. :-)

message 14: by Pat (new)

Pat Hardin | 2 comments I don't know if you guys have seen Stuart Gordon's "Dagon" but it's a really good interpretation of Lovecraft's style and pacing. It starts slow and gradually builds to the fever-pace HP loved.

Guillermo del toro was working on a "At the Mountains of Madness" but something put the kybosh on that.

I've read his stories so many times I'm hoping a good film director will do something that turns on the masses to Lovecraft the writer.

message 15: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 18 comments Have you seen the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society film adaptations of either Call of Cthulhu or Whisperer in Darkness? I highly recommend both of them. CoC came out a few years back; it was done as a silent black & white film with a stop-motion animated Cthulhu. Whisperer just came out last year; it's still in black & white, but this time it has sound and is done more in the style of a 1930's Universal horror film. www.cthulhulives.org is the website.

message 16: by Pat (new)

Pat Hardin | 2 comments Hi Joseph,

I did see Call of Cthulhu, and thought they did a fine job, very true to the story. I'll have to check out Whisperer. Thanks!

Joseph wrote: "Have you seen the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society film adaptations of either Call of Cthulhu or Whisperer in Darkness? I highly recommend both of them. CoC came out a few years back; it was don..."

message 17: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 18 comments They had to make some more substantial changes for Whisperer than they did for Call of Cthulhu, but I didn't really have a problem with any of them.

I weep for del Toro's Mountains of Madness.

message 18: by Ron (new)

Ron | 2 comments The thing that put the hammer down on AtMoM was del Toro. Here's basically how it worked out. James Cameron got interested, which got....oh...sorry, it's so late...MGM? Well, we'll pretend it was for now. Anyway, MGM (or whomever) were going to put 120 mill$ into the project, but they wanted it PG-13. Del Toro insisted on an 'R' rating, and the studio pulled out. I guess GdT thought they would come around until Ridley Scott made Prometheus. After that came out he did an interview where he stated he didn't think a studio would back another movie with a 'similiar plot'.

As an aside, the same studio is re-making Doom for 100 mill$. They spent 65 Mill$ on a version of it some years back and it lost 40 million. The guy from Arkham Bazaar has a pretty good video rant about the whole thing, and the GdT 'Prometheus' interview is online also (not a video, however).

message 19: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 234 comments Mod
I just read Urban Cthulhu: Nightmare Cities. It's a bunch of short stories edited by Henrik S. Harksen. I read the first volume, too. Good horror with a Lovecraftian bent.

message 20: by Cthulhuwho1 (last edited Sep 07, 2012 08:32AM) (new)

Cthulhuwho1 | 33 comments H. P. Lovecraft's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward Unabridged MP3's:

Dear Lovecraftian Friends,

H. P. Lovecraft's, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward in a multi-voice mp3 version has begun uploading to The CthulhuWho1 blog at http://cthulhuwho1.com; so keep checking there every few days for more sections.

And once all 25 segments have been posted there, the work will begin on the video versions for YouTube too.

====================
7-Sep-2012 Update:

A multi-voice Teasers File for the William E. Hart performance of H. P. Lovecraft's,
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, has just been posted on YouTube at

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPnyL6...

and in MP3 on http://CthulhuWho1.com

This file let's you hear a mixed batch of sound-bites from all of the major characters
in Lovecraft's tale that have been living in my head for months while I've worked on this project.

And I hope this set of teasers will increase the public's interest in this far too over-looked work,
and in the reading/performance I am uploading right now to CthulhuWho1.com.
====================

Yours in Eldritch Phantasies,

William E. Hart

aka CthulhuWho1

message 21: by Cthulhuwho1 (new)

Cthulhuwho1 | 33 comments Dear Lovecraftian Friends,

The free unabridged reading and performance by SAG-AFTRA actor William E. Hart, of H. P. Lovecraft’s, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, is now complete on CthulhuWho1.com!

http://cthulhuwho1.com/2012/08/28/h-p...

All five chapters are available as single files, and as 25 section files, in 44100Hz, mono, 256kbps MP3 files.

For those interested in the final running times and MP3 file sizes for the single-file versions of each chapter, they are as follows:

Chapter One: Twenty-three minutes and twenty-six seconds, in 43MB.

Chapter Two: Seventy-four minutes and twenty-four seconds, in 136MB.

Chapter Three: Sixty-three minutes and twenty-seven seconds, in 116MB.

Chapter Four: Fifty-seven minutes and thirty-eight seconds, in 105MB.

Chapter Five: Eighty-eight minutes and fifty-eight seconds, in 162MB.

For a combined running time total of five hours, seven minutes, and fifty-three seconds.

In my mind, H. P. Lovecraft’s, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, reads more like a work of non-fiction, rater than fiction; and because of this, I hope you’ll listen to my reading and performances as an audio documentary with reenactments by all of the voices that have finally escaped from my head, and been brought to audio life; including Marinus, Theodore, Joseph, Charles, Jedediah/Simon, Edward, and several others.

Your feedback and comments are very welcome!

And the work will soon begin on the visual version for YouTube!

Yours in Eldritch Phantasies,

William E. Hart

aka CthulhuWho1

Curator of:

The Lovecraft Flickr Collections (now over 3500 images!) at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cthulhuw...

The CthulhuWho1 blog at: http://cthulhuwho1.com

And The CthulhuWho1 YouTube Channel at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CthulhuWho1

message 22: by Enrico (new)

Enrico Accenti | 1 comments Thank you!

message 23: by John (new)

John Mayer | 66 comments Jim wrote: "I just read Urban Cthulhu: Nightmare Cities. It's a bunch of short stories edited by Henrik S. Harksen. I read the first volume, too. Good horror with a Lovecraftian bent."Henrik has been kind enough to release my first book of horror stories just last week in hard cover, _Hex Code and Others_. The title story is not a Lovecraft pastiche but is, in part, a heartfelt homage to his work. http://hharksenproductions.files.word...

message 24: by Jim, Co-moderator (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 234 comments Mod
That's awesome, John. Congrats. I have two of the books that Henrik has edited & published. They're awesome, so I'm sure yours will be, too.

message 25: by Ó Ruairc (last edited Apr 05, 2013 04:25PM) (new)

Ó Ruairc | 12 comments Read this in the news today. This article is a 21st century testimony to H.P.L.'s popularity:

Scientists have discovered two new species of strange-looking microbes that live in the bellies of termites, and they've named the creatures Cthulhu and Cthylla, an ode to H.P. Lovecraft's pantheon of horrible monsters.

Even though Lovecraft said the mere existence of Cthulhu was beyond human comprehension, the 20th-century American sci-fi author described the ocean-dwelling creature as vaguely anthropomorphic, but with an octopus-like head, a face full of feelers, and a scaly, rubbery, bloated body with claws and narrow wings.

'When we first saw them under the microscope ... it looked almost like an octopus swimming.'

- Researcher Erick James, of the University of British Columbia

The microbe Cthulhu macrofasciculumque doesn't appear quite as frightful under a microscope, but it does have a bundle of more than 20 flagella that resembles a tuft of tentacles beating in sync.

"When we first saw them under the microscope they had this unique motion, it looked almost like an octopus swimming," researcher Erick James, of the University of British Columbia, said in a statement. [See Images of the Squiggly Lovecraft Monsters]

Cthylla microfasciculumque, meanwhile, is smaller sporting just five flagella, and is named for the Cthylla, the secret daughter of Cthulhu, generally portrayed as a winged cephalopod. Cthylla was not a creation of Lovecraft, but rather British writer Brian Lumley, who added to the "Cthulhu Mythos" in the 1970s.

The little protists, smaller than a tenth of a millimeter, are part the rich community of gut microbes that help termites turn wood into digestible sugar (which is why the pests can eat up the walls of a home fairly quickly).

"The huge diversity of microbial organisms is a completely untapped resource," said James. "Studying protists can tell us about the evolution of organisms. Some protists cause diseases, but others live in symbiotic relationships, like these flagellates in the intestines of termites."

James and colleagues published their findings online March 18 in the journal PLOS ONE.

If you're curious about how to say the names of the newfound creatures out loud, the researchers note that Lovecraft gave different pronunciations for Cthulhu because the name was supposed to come from an alien language, impossible for the human vocal capacity to mimic. "Ke-thoo-loo" is thought to be the safe approximation for Cthulhu, whereas Cthylla is often pronounced "ke-thil-a."

Copyright 2013 LiveScience, a TechMediaNetwork company.

message 26: by Werner (last edited Apr 11, 2013 05:31AM) (new)

Werner The Jan./Feb. 2013 issue of Touchstone magazine has an article that may (or may not) be of interest to some readers of Lovecraft: "Lost and Found in the Cosmos: The Alternate and Alternative Worlds of H. P. Lovecraft and C. S. Lewis" by C. R. Wiley. (There's no Internet link; to read the article online, you have to be a Touchstone subscriber.) It's a comparison and contrast of two contemporary SF authors who had some similarities, but even more significant differences.

message 27: by Cthulhuwho1 (last edited Aug 26, 2013 09:10PM) (new)

Cthulhuwho1 | 33 comments H. P. Lovecraft’s The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Chapter 1 is Now a Video on YouTube!

Greetings to a Large Group of Lovecraftians!

I couldn't make it to the NecronomiCon in Providence this year; but I was working on my latest Lovecraftian effort while the convention (and Lovecraft's birthday) was taking place. And the following explains what I've been up to:

H. P. Lovecraft's, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Chapter 1, read and performed by Yours Truly (William E. Hart) is now available as a 1080p HD Audio-Visual performance on YouTube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS2MmG...

This is the first of the five chapters of this story to have its video version posted on YouTube; and the other four chapters will eventually be posted there too.

The visuals start slowly during the first half of this chapter, but the second half is like a whirl-wind tour of Providence history!

In the meantime, while I work on the next chapter, the entire reading in MP3 format is already available at http://cthulhuwho1.com/2012/08/28/h-p... for those who can't wait to see the rest of the tale on YouTube.

And for those collecting everything Lovecraftian:

H. P. Lovecraft’s Providence as Russian (and World-Wide) Refrigerator Magnets!

See the Images at http://cthulhuwho1.com/2013/08/25/h-p...

H. P. Lovecraft’s Providence, as photographed by Yours Truly (Will Hart) in 1990 during the H. P. Lovecraft Centennial, has now become a pair of Refrigerator Magnets, added to the souvenir line of products offered by World-Wide Gifts through their English language site (for worldwide delivery) and through their Russian language site (for delivery only in Russia).

My Flickr photos, which I freely share with everyone, are being used daily around the world (try a Google Image search for “California Cthulhu” + “Will Hart” and look for non-Flickr usage by moving your mouse-pointer over the pictures); but I’ve never before had the pleasure of seeing any of them turned into Refrigerator Magnets!

I gain nothing more than fun from seeing my images being used on blogs, websites, in books (more coming), and magazines; but the idea of tourists from Russia, having Lovecraftian based images on their refrigerators, is just like icing on H. P. Lovecraft’s birthday cake!

Happy Belated Birthday H. P. L.!

Will Hart
aka CthulhuWho1
aka California Cthulhu

message 28: by David (new)

David Elkin | 4 comments Link for you tube has been truncated and does not work.

(H. P. Lovecraft's, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Chapter 1, read and performed by Yours Truly (William E. Hart) is now available as a 1080p HD Audio-Visual performance on YouTube at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS2MmG...)

I got to it via your blog

message 29: by Cthulhuwho1 (last edited Aug 26, 2013 09:12PM) (new)

Cthulhuwho1 | 33 comments Thank You Sincerely, I'll fix it right away!

Well it turns out the link works if you click on it, but if you cut and paste it you get a truncated version.

I just tried it, and it worked fine.

Sorry about the confusion!

Will

message 30: by Cthulhuwho1 (new)

Cthulhuwho1 | 33 comments Greetings to All of My Lovecraftian Friends!

It has been in the works for a long time, but it is finally here!

The World’s Largest H. P. Lovecraft Audio Links Gateway is now open!

With over 900 direct links to English language public readings and performances of H. P. Lovecraft's literary works, arranged in groups by their titles, there is something here for everyone.

This is also a guide to what has already been recorded, what still needs to be recorded, and to the many readers and performers creating these audio treasures; so everyone can discover the world of Lovecraftian audio entertainment that is publicly available.

This Gateway also includes direct links to every site that is providing these audio files.

WARNING: Only look at this site if you have plenty of time to spare; because you will lose all track of time while listening to, sampling, or downloading these files!

Take a look at http://CthulhuWho1.com, and you will see what I mean.

Or use the direct Link: http://cthulhuwho1.com/2013/09/07/the...

I hope you will share this information, and that you will recommend even more links to add to this collection.

Will Hart

aka CthulhuWho1

ps
Please let me know if I named this project correctly.

message 31: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 30 comments It's been quite a while since I've read much Lovecraft. Once I discovered him I went through most of his stuff pretty quickly and loved it. I did reread some a couple of years back when I was working on my story, "The Vivarium," which appeared din my collection "Harmland," and which is kind of a spin off of a Lovecraft tale.

message 32: by John (new)

John Karr (karr) | 62 comments I had given up on HPL until encountering the Reanimator stories. Finally, some that resonated! Cthulhu didn't connect but that's imo.

message 33: by Ars Felix (new)

Ars Felix | 1 comments Lovecraft bust now on Kickstarter:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...

message 34: by Dustin (new)

Dustin | 1 comments Hello all! Lovecraft is what drew me into my now long-time passion that is horror/sci-fi/weird fiction. To me, he is the absolute king, and we owe so much of the genre's modern era to his innovative and beautiful work! My advice to all newcomers to Lovecraft, enjoy the Cthulu mythos, but explore his other works! To me, some of his best stories are found outside of the Cthulu mythos.

Pulp Magazine Authors and Literature Fans

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Urban Cthulhu: Nightmare Cities (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

August Derleth (other topics)
Henrik S. Harksen (other topics)