Memoirs and Biographies We Love discussion

Musician Memoirs That You Love!

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill (new)

Bill See (billsee) | 1 comments 33 DAYS: TOURING IN A VAN. SLEEPING ON FLOORS. CHASING A DREAM
For 33 days in the summer of 1987, Divine Weeks toured in a beat up old Ford Econoline van, sleeping on strangers’ floors, never sure they’d make enough gas money to get them to the next town. This deeply personal, coming of age, on the road memoir follows critically acclaimed 80s indie alt rock band Divine Weeks’ first tour. Liberated from alcoholic upbringings and rigid cultural constraints, all they have is their music and each other’s friendship. The road is filled with yuppies, brothels, riots, sleeping on floors, spiked drinks, DJs with no pants, and battles with racism. They set out on the road to discovery to drink in all they could and maybe sell a few records. They grew up instead.

message 2: by Linda (new)

Linda (llsbooks) | 2 comments The best biographies of musicians I have read include:

"Morning Glory, A Biography of Mary Lou Williams" by Linda Dahl. Mary Lou's life was full of sadness and struggle. However, her music was so beautiful. I was reading this book one day at my favorite quiet lunch cafe. A total stranger sat down next to me, complimented me on my selection. We had a long talk about both music and reading. The book is almost out of print - Only a few copies are available on Amazon.

Ashley Kahn's book about the making of "Kind of Blue", would go with me to a desert island. Also, his book on "A Love Supreme".

Any of the books of essays about jazz musicians by the late Gene Lees are also excellent, including but not limited to "Cats of Any Color" and "Friends Along The Way" and "Meet Me at Jim and Andy's".

The biography of Louis Armstrong by James Lincoln Collier, was very well-researched but is dated as it was published in the 1980's. I think there are more recent books out on Louis but I've not read them.