Always Coming Home discussion

Fiction > Earthsea - General

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I should probably break this into the separate books, but to start we'll take them all as a group.

message 2: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana | 144 comments Mod
This is great! Are you inviting my good doppelganger and the others, too? I'll invite some of my hatracker friends who are from a forum on Orson Scott Card's forum. Many of them are UKL fans as well.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been inviting people I know are UKL fans, or people I know have a general interest in science fiction, but anyone is welcome. Set out invites to whomever would be interested!

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert (flagon_dragon) | 49 comments Anyone who needs a bigger copy of the map than can fit in a paperback should go here:

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/Earthsea...

message 5: by Tatiana (new)

I'd like to request that we include the YA books under general fiction. UKL herself has objected to publishers putting her books in categories that limit their readership. I had no idea Earthsea was supposed to be a YA series for the longest time, and I'm not sure which books belong in which category. To me they're all just very good books that anyone would want to read. The other categories are good, though, Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry, Childrens. What do you think?

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert (flagon_dragon) | 49 comments This is why I don't have a YA or children's shelf!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

You're probably right, Tatiana, especially because as the Earthsea books go on, they are definitely not strictly young adult anymore, not they necessarily were in the beginning. I'll move the thread.

Although, I think Very Far Away from Anywhere Else still fits much more tightly into a YA label. I liked Very Far, but it's pretty dated at this point, and I felt out of the audience with that one, much more than others of hers that are marked as YA.

message 8: by Tatiana (new)

That's the one that did seem YA to me, and I agree that it's dated. I still liked it, but it did seem to be written for a pre-adolescent audience. The others not so much, except possibly The Beginning Place, which I read long ago so I may be remembering it badly.

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian | 42 comments I need advice:

My son is 6 and my daughter is 8. They're both good readers. They've read the first two Harry Potter books, which are at the upper-limit of their reading abilities. They probably could read HP#3 but we're making them wait another year since it's much more scary.

I really want to read A Wizard of Earthsea to my kids, or have them read it, or maybe we all take turns reading it to each other, which is how we did HP#1. Is it age-appropriate? Not just reading level, but is the story age-appropriate? Knowing my kids, I think they certainly would enjoy it, even if they wouldn't understand everything that UKL has to say. My wife is worried that it's too scary, or too ... I don't know, too whatever. She hasn't read it.

Thoughts?

message 10: by Tatiana (new)

It depends on how scary things affect your kids, I'd say. The gebbeth is really scary, but one of my nieces would have loved it, and another one would have had nightmares. Six seems a little young, too. Maybe eight would work, though. What do you moms of younger kids think? I've forgotten what ages my nieces started reading things.

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian | 42 comments I can't believe I wrote that my son is 6 ... today is his birthday and he turned 7! We had a party and everything (yesterday since today was a school day). I suck.

My daughter handles scary things pretty well, the son not as well. Hmmm.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Mine are at 7 at 4, and I wouldn't read this to them, but not for censorious evviiil reasons. My 7-year old doesn't really like fantasy, and the 4 year old would get bored.

Happy Birthday to your boy, Ian!

message 13: by Robert (new)

Robert (flagon_dragon) | 49 comments I must have been 8 or 9 the first time I read it. I'd think someone sensitive to scary stuff would likely have a problem with it.

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert (flagon_dragon) | 49 comments I now shameless promote my review of The Other Wind:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 15: by Mir (new)

Mir | 31 comments Ian, I didn't find it too scary at that age. I did find LOTR too scary but made my mother read it anyway. And then woke her up when I had nightmares.

message 16: by Rick (new)

Rick I just finished The Daughter of Odren, and enjoyed it enormously. Does anyone know of any other Earthsea short stories besides those collected in Tales from Earthsea and The Wind's Twelve Quarters?