Book freaks discussion

Book Budget

Comments Showing 1-50 of 132 (132 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (poppyy) How do you guys make a book budget? I am having a hard time not buying books. It seems like I spend way tooo much money on books and I want to know if you guys make a budget or if you just buy books when you want it?

message 2: by Sille (new)

Sille (sssiiillleee) I buy books if I have spare money. :D But... generally, 80% of my pocket money goes on books. :D
Now, as I'm trying to collect for one trip, I have made a pact with myself: only 2 books until June. :D (Because they are books I know I want already. :D) So I've planned 20 euros for them. :D

message 3: by Johnnie (new)

Johnnie (berfer) I have a weekly lunch/expenditures budget. Whatever is left over goes into my piggy bank and either is spent on books or taking my lovely wife to dinner. It is a small budget that must also pay for all my incidentals and toiletries ($35.00 a week). In addition, my wife is a professional survey taker and most of her payments are made in Amazon gift certificates and so it keeps the Kindle full.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

My book-budget consists entirely of spare cash. I try to save up for something special or something but instead I go to Barnes and Nobles just to "look" and always end up having to buy at least one book. I also try to use gift cards from x-mas or my b-day. Otherwise, I'll just get books from the library or other friends.

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) I hoard my gift cards for times when I really want a book. But like Paige Anne if I go just to look, I almost always come out with a book. I keep setting a $$ limit on my spending, but then one book gets me interested in a topic so I need a book on that, and circle keeps repeating. I also have some nice reference material too that friends have used when they have had a need.

message 6: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) Good question. I never thought of it, I usually stick to the library and libraries without walls website and when I do buy it is not without a lot of worry about whether or not I can afford the $10+ for just A book, which usually ends with me deciding it can wait. Unless I give into my compulsive buying then all bets are off and the Hubby is left rolling his eyes and asking me how much money I need to pay for my travels to and from work that week. (At least that happens only once every couple of months now)

message 7: by Glennis (new)

Glennis I'm a big bargain shopper...I can usually get a lot out of $30. Both of us are book freaks though...so, oh well!

message 8: by Sayshisweetie (new)

Sayshisweetie | 71 comments I buy if i have spare money, and i only buy books under $50. Or i just go to a library or bookstore and read without buying anything.

message 9: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 55 comments For actual paperbacks, I go to the local used book stores. There is a Bargain Books store nearby, where I have unloaded some things and gotten a few (very few) sheckles for them, and they sell new and used books. There is also a locally-run used book store run by a very nice bibliophile, who is always up for a good chat about what she's reading, what I'm reading, what I'm writing, etc. I like to support local businesses.
Otherwise, now that I have a kindle, anything new is eBook all the way! And I refuse to spend over $7-8 for an eBook. That's what mine are priced at by my publishers, and I think that's fair. Anything more feels like a rip-off.
That being said, I try to limit myself to no more than $20 per month on books. Some months I'm too busy to read as much as I'd like, so I don't buy...I just play "catch-up".

message 10: by Traci (new)

Traci (highxflyer) | 13 comments I don't have a budget yet. I recently purchased a Kindle so all of my books so far, except for one have been free. I use a website to get free Amazon giftcards and I'm currently hoarding them for when I run out of freebies to read and it's time to buy another. However, I'll really have to refrain from buying too many books. I'll probably have to set a limit of no more than $20 a month.

message 11: by Sayshisweetie (last edited Feb 27, 2011 05:46PM) (new)

Sayshisweetie | 71 comments Traci wrote: "I don't have a budget yet. I recently purchased a Kindle so all of my books so far, except for one have been free. I use a website to get free Amazon giftcards and I'm currently hoarding them for w..."

I got a kindle too and i use it for hardcover books since they are cheaper on the kindle! And for games :)

message 12: by Chris (new)

Chris (heroncfr) Two words: Library card!

message 13: by Erin E (new)

Erin E (elizamc) Chris wrote: "Two words: Library card!"

true and with most libraries being linked to libraries without walls.... one does not need to purchase eBooks for most eReaders - and with this there is no late fees! :D

message 14: by slowpoke (new)

slowpoke (slowpokereads) Hmm...I buy books when I can. If I'm not saving for a Tamagotchi ( I collect them ) or a video game, I save up or just go and buy a book. c:

I don't really have a budget xD

message 15: by Mahreen (new)

Mahreen | 4 comments You can buy eBooks, they are normally 50% the price of a paperbook. Some sites as www.kobobooks.com, have tons of books under $5 and more than 100 eBooks for free.

message 16: by Mahreen (new)

Mahreen | 4 comments Erin (M) wrote: "Chris wrote: "Two words: Library card!"

true and with most libraries being linked to libraries without walls.... one does not need to purchase eBooks for most eReaders - and with this there is no ..."

Those are magic words! I really like that now I can borrow eBooks and read then on my eReader! :)

message 17: by Selena (new)

Selena Lang (selenal) I rarely buy a book anymore. I borrow from my local library for the most part. It's only if the book is one I really, really want to have do I actually buy it anymore. Then I worry and fret over wether spending the money is worth it. It usually is.

message 18: by Hanaa (new)

Hanaa (hanaae) I also try to make the most out of my library card; however, when it comes to buying books, I try not to spend a fortune -- it's better if I can make my way to a used book store.

message 19: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) Library = poor man's/woman's paradise or thrifty book fiend's paradise.

message 20: by Hanaa (new)

Hanaa (hanaae) When you work a minimum paying job, sometimes you can't buy regular prices books. I enjoy the library-- it's lovely. :)

message 21: by Jill (new)

Jill (jillylilly) If I have extra money I buy a book...

message 22: by Eden (new)

Eden (tsalagi_writer) | 29 comments I don't really have a book budget. If I have the money I buy books.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I am a firm believer in libraries and quite often when I have extra money for books I end up buying maybe one or two for me and donating the rest of my money to the library.

For the classics and other older books that are no longer under copyright I use Project Gutenberg at http://www.gutenberg.org.

Since I have a Nook I also take advantage of Free Fridays from Barnes and Noble.

message 24: by Allie (new)

Allie (tarnished) | 4 comments I'm not a fan of my public library, I have my reasons but usually I get my books from online used bookstores, I've found a few very reliable ones and once I'm finished I donate to the library, unless I am in love with the book, then it earns a keep slot. Usually when I order books I'll order around $25 - sometimes $40 at a time, depending. Usually that will get me reading material for a few months, unless i tear through them. I have a list of 80+ books to-read right now saved in my favorites.

message 25: by A.B. (new)

A.B. Shepherd (abshepherd) | 5 comments My budget for books is non-existent at the moment. I have to rely solely on my local library, which has a limited selection. :(

message 26: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (pip_squeak) I mainly use my local library, but just recently brought a used book off of amazon for a penny!! x x

message 27: by Candy Aya (new)

Candy Aya (notyourgirlnextdoor) | 196 comments I always make sure I allot a money for buying books. I'd rather buy books than buy new fancy clothes. My parent's only give me an allowance that suit for a student like me. lol

message 28: by Nada (new)

Nada Al-Karmi (nadooush) i don't have a budget, whenever i see a book i like, i buy it without thinking twice.

message 29: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer I try not to buy too much online or I would never have any money. I have a student loan but I have to use that on other stuff so when I am out if I go in a bookshop I can only spend money on not card, that way I don't end up buying too many!

message 30: by Jo (new)

Jo (jobee) | 1 comments I use my local library - but I am lucky as it is very well stocked and they seem happy to buy in books that I request that aren't in stock. If we don't use out libraries in the UK then we will lose them. Charity shops too. Can't remember the last time I bought a full priced book.

message 31: by Roselle (new)

Roselle (missroselle) I frequent my local library and Half Price Books quite often. My spending limit is $30 per week on books. It adds up, I know but I can't help myself!

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (chelle90) | 2 comments I have cut down on the new books I buy. Even though there are some books I just have to get. I have started going back to the library. I also go to a used bookstore and get books there.

message 33: by Julie (new)

Julie | 3 comments I'm a BIG used book buyer! I love the fact that I can hold the book, smell the pages, look back at favorite quotes,etc. So needless to say I like to buy the books, but save as much money as possible!!!! (Though I do own a nook cuz may sweet brother bought it for me!)

Jess | A Book to Remember  (abooktoremember_jess) I lovvvvveeee buying new books!! And my collection just keeps growing :) But most of my books are used - from used bookstores or used ones from borders.com or amazon. But if it's new and I can't wait for it, I try to use coupons and deals and sales from bookstores or get them at walmart or target where they are a bit cheaper. I used to use swaptree.com (not swap.com) but now it changed and it started charging and all. If anyone knows of a really good bookswapping site let me know!

Jess | A Book to Remember  (abooktoremember_jess) now* swap.com (sorry)

message 36: by Clara (new)

Clara | 15 comments Jessica Ellen wrote: "now* swap.com (sorry)"

Jessica you can use paperbackswap.com they are very good and so is bookmooch.com. I swap a lot of my books from there. I used to swap at swaptree/or just swap.com but like you said they are asking for people's credit cards. Bit mistake.

message 37: by Yolo (new)

Yolo (notoriousspinks) I overspend on books all the time. However, I try to buy used book when I can. I shop at thrift stores, Goodwill, and library sales. Also I use Bookmooch.com as well. That really helps.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

My book budget is whatever I can spare, normally I set aside money for after I get everything I need.
Also I live on a military base which is awesome for books! When people move you can only have so much weight per family, so a lot of people get rid of books because they take up a lot of space and weight a lot. They give the books to the library, the library just puts them on a shelf for the rest of the base have at them. I just go crazy, I have gotten books I was going to buy off of that shelf. I also it's a great place to give books to if I'm not crazy about them, or if they're old.
I think all libraries should be doing this if they aren't already. It's like a big book swap.

message 39: by Ghira (new)

Ghira | 6 comments I go to the library at least once a week since I read an average of 2 fiction books a week. I do buy one book a month - usually non-fiction.

message 40: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) I think one cannot have too many books in the TBR pile. Mine is huge and grows all the time. I sometimes use the library, but mostly buy my books (can't wait for the L.A. Book Fair in April). Once I finish them, if they are special they are kept. If they are good, but not ones I want to keep, they go to a friend. When they are returned from friend, then they are donated to the library.

message 41: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette | 3 comments I don't have a budget for books I have to say most of my pocket money goes onto books. I buy all of my books part from when I am at school.

message 42: by Jamie (last edited Mar 24, 2011 11:40AM) (new)

Jamie | 10 comments My book buying comes from extra cash I have after I budget. I often tend to buy in bulk (usually at least 3 books at a time) So sometimes I go a longer time and not buy a thing.
I often look for used books (used bookstores, thrift stores, on online) in order to get more for the price.

message 43: by Black Queen (new)

Black Queen (blackqueen) | 89 comments The only time I buy books when it's christmas or my birthday. But i do have a certain budget to buying the books at least 5 books at a time.

message 44: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Best I currently have the utter luxury of buying books pretty much whenever I please. Long time ago, though, that wasn't the case. I remember when I was just 19 or so, I was doing my grocery shopping, which largely consisted of the cheapest foods possible. No veggie over 39 cents a pound. No cereals because they cost more per pound than meat. Protein in microwave burritos and hardboiled eggs, sometimes meat if it was cheap. You get the idea. Not ONE dime to spare! But they had a book there - a red-leather bound book of Shakespeare's works! The pages had gold on the edges. The title was printed in raised letters, so my fingers could feel each one. I bought it. I couldn't afford it, and I had hell to pay when I told my roommate...but it was sooooooooo worth it. Of course, it's one of my most prized books on my shelf today. I remember the 2 weeks of top ramen and 25cent boxes of mac-n-cheeze (some weird brand that tasted terrible, especially since I had to use water instead of milk and butter to mix the powdered cheese)that I had to endure to pay for my selfish splurge.

message 45: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Wow! That is really taking one for the team (team Shakespeare of course). I have not bought a book in forever because frankly I don't have money, however I have friends. And a library card (MWUAHAHAHHAA) Plus I usually only buy books I'm figuring on re-reading, no use buying a book if you're not going to love it to death.

message 46: by Gorfo (new)

Gorfo Alexandria wrote: "i seem to just buy books whether i have spare money or not. i believe i have become obsessed. lol. of course i read every book i buy. but i always buy them used except for when i preorder. the high..."

Oh I've spent way more on books. For example $46 on the complete works of Shakespeare. Even though I own many of the plays individually in Folgers or Penguin copy, sometimes both.

message 47: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) Tracy wrote: "I currently have the utter luxury of buying books pretty much whenever I please. Long time ago, though, that wasn't the case. I remember when I was just 19 or so, I was doing my grocery shopping,..."

What a wonderful story. Thanks so much for sharing this.

message 48: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) My husband wishes I had a book budget. I try to be sensible about it. I have one friend that reads things I like too so we try to share the book. One will buy and let the other one read when done. I buy used, am using Swap a lot more than I used to, and am still buying new too. Definitely thinking about it before purchase though more so than I used to. If it is not a book I want to keep, I'll swap it or donate it to the local library after a different friend gets to read it.

message 49: by Ebony (new)

Ebony (poppyy) I wish I could buy my books whenever I please. There are so many I would like to buy.

message 50: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (michellescottfiction) Now that garage sale season is upon us, I'll comb the yard sales for cheap books. Sometimes, I walk away with some amazing finds, but other years, there are just the same six or so titles over and over again.

Anyone every visit the website daily cheap reads? If you own a Kindle, this is a terrific website to visit.

« previous 1 3