Young Writers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Movie Adaptations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 358 (358 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments What do you think? Do some books get ruined by their movies, or do some movies are ruined by their books?

Feel free to comment on any movie, let it be Harry Potter or Alex Rider...

Spazzy Maz Brit [the insane one] (cally215) Alex Rider is a MOVIE?!?!

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments Do you live in the stone age? Of course it is! It came out in 2006!

Maria [the clockwork creeps on useless lives] (mariachhile) | 8772 comments Mod
I think most books are ruined by their movies, with the exception of To Kill A Mockingbird.

message 5: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments But sometimes it's the other way around. I think so with the Princess Diaries. They're like a million books that go from nowhere to nowhere.

Sort of like in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I liked the book, but the movie was better. But it didn't eclipse the book.

Spazzy Maz Brit [the insane one] (cally215) Josephine wrote: "Do you live in the stone age? Of course it is! It came out in 2006!"

Oh wow lol. Well I didn't read the books until, like, two years ago haha so I really wouldn't know..

message 7: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments I suppose so.

Did you see the other two?

Spazzy Maz Brit [the insane one] (cally215) What other two? I'm a little...okay a LOT..scatterbrained tonight lol. Be patient, I'll get it eventually

message 9: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments Princess Diaries and Narnia 3.

Spazzy Maz Brit [the insane one] (cally215) Right..

I haven't read the Princess Diaries books..but seen the movies..

And I haven't seen Narnia 3..but read the book..

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments That's kind of ironic.

Don't read the books.

Watch the movie.

message 12: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments Harry Potter was a fail, except for the first, second, and seventh movies... But I love them anyway <3

Lightning Thief was DUMB. I have yet to read the book, but I didn't like the first half of the movie.

The Last Song was AMAZING :)

It depends on the movie. I hate when Hollywood acts like they know better than the other. Retards.

Better yet, I hate when authors sell out their books to Hollywood when they know the script isn't close to the book.

message 13: by Kriss (new)

Kriss (krisslee) | 5015 comments Mod
Because I'm a total little kid at heart:

How to Train Your Dragon was a better movie then it was a book. But maybe that's because the book was made for seven year olds and I'm thirteen.

message 14: by Talia (new)

Talia | 605 comments Howl's Moving Castle. <3

message 15: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 2455 comments Mod
Stanley Kubrick was a guy who knew how to adapt movies. In most every case possible, he would try and work with the author to make the script. He also wasn't afraid to change things from the book, something I greatly support. And in the end, pretty much everything he has made is brilliant.

message 16: by Baxter, butts butts butts (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 2455 comments Mod
Anyway, on principal I agree that books are typically better, simply because they aren't limited by length.

Winter's Bone last year was one of those rare examples of a movie that is every bit as good as the book, if not better. It also happens to be, in my opinion, the best movie of 2010.

message 17: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Brigid ✩ | 11973 comments Mod
Jayda wrote: "Lightning Thief was DUMB. I have yet to read the book, but I didn't like the first half of the movie."

Guahh. Read the book. The movie was AWFUL, but it was NOTHING like the book. Like, they completely threw the plot and characters out the window and made something up. >_<

message 18: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Josephine wrote: "What do you think? Do some books get ruined by their movies, or do some movies are ruined by their books?

Feel free to comment on any movie, let it be Harry Potter or Alex Rider..."

I don't think either is "ruined" by the other. That is, if a book has a terrible movie adaptation, that doesn't take away from my liking of the book. It just makes me disappointed that the director of the movie failed to interpret what was good about the book. If that makes sense. And vice versa ... If the movie is as good as the book, or better than the book (which is rare, but it happens) then it doesn't make me like the book any more than I already do.

message 19: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

*cough* So yeah. Movie adaptations. WHO BESIDES ME IS REALLY EXCITED TO SEE "BEASTLY"?!

message 20: by Jane (new)

Jane (janecs) | 1854 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "*cough* So yeah. Movie adaptations. WHO BESIDES ME IS REALLY EXCITED TO SEE "BEASTLY"?!"

Erm... not me, I guess? *hit the deck*

message 21: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

But ... it has Neil Patrick Harris in it. So it's guaranteed to be AWESOME.

message 22: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "*cough* So yeah. Movie adaptations. WHO BESIDES ME IS REALLY EXCITED TO SEE "BEASTLY"?!"

OH MY GOSH, I want to see it soooo badly

message 23: by Jayda (new)

Jayda | 2761 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Jayda wrote: "Lightning Thief was DUMB. I have yet to read the book, but I didn't like the first half of the movie."

Guahh. Read the book. The movie was AWFUL, but it was NOTHING like the book. Li..."

Yeah, that's what my sister said. I'm thinking of reading the book next :)

message 24: by Jane (new)

Jane (janecs) | 1854 comments Ooh, look! People! SHINY!

message 25: by Julian (new)

Julian Moreno (emmieloowhoo) | 7315 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "*cough* So yeah. Movie adaptations. WHO BESIDES ME IS REALLY EXCITED TO SEE "BEASTLY"?!"

MEEE.
my character looks like Alex Petttyfer. I am obviously watching it and drooling.

message 26: by Jo (new)

Jo (Penname8) | 1574 comments Kriss wrote: "Because I'm a total little kid at heart:

How to Train Your Dragon was a better movie then it was a book. But maybe that's because the book was made for seven year olds and I'm thirteen."

Not the only little kid at heart. Think about it. I'm older than you and stuck drooling over Narnia.

message 27: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Kriss wrote: "Because I'm a total little kid at heart:

How to Train Your Dragon was a better movie then it was a book. But maybe that's because the book was made for seven year olds and I'm thirteen."

I loved that movie! =)

message 28: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "Jayda wrote: "Lightning Thief was DUMB. I have yet to read the book, but I didn't like the first half of the movie."

Guahh. Read the book. The movie was AWFUL, but it was NOTHING like the book. Li..."

*nods* It sucked!

message 29: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments ♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "But ... it has Neil Patrick Harris in it. So it's guaranteed to be AWESOME."

And Alex Pettyfer!

message 30: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments So I mostly hate it when they make movies out of books. I refuse to watch a large majority of them. Like Percy Jackson? Still haven't seen it and after what I've heard, I'm not going to. And...City of Ember, Harry Potter, etc.

message 31: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments City of Ember actually followed the book really really well.

message 32: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments Mandy [i can't go on i will go on] wrote: "City of Ember actually followed the book really really well."

Yea, that was one of the first I thought of. I thought of another: The Tale of Despereaux. Was that one any good?

message 33: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Autumn [the end] wrote: "Mandy [i can't go on i will go on] wrote: "City of Ember actually followed the book really really well."

Yea, that was one of the first I thought of. I thought of another: The Tale of Despereaux. ..."

Tale of Despereaux followed the book mostly. But I didn't love the book, so I still thought it was ehhhhh.......

message 34: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (flwurautumn) | 4987 comments Mandy [i can't go on i will go on] wrote: "Autumn [the end] wrote: "Mandy [i can't go on i will go on] wrote: "City of Ember actually followed the book really really well."

Yea, that was one of the first I thought of. I thought of another:..."

I didn't love it but I get severely irked when the movies mess with the books.

Christina *Cantarella* Hi :D what are we talking about? :D

message 36: by Talia (new)

Talia | 605 comments Mandy [i can't go on i will go on] wrote: "City of Ember actually followed the book really really well."

My friend told me that it didn't follow the book at all

message 37: by Tesni (last edited Feb 26, 2011 01:50PM) (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments The Golden Compass. 'Nuff said.

*shudders*

message 38: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Autumn [the end] wrote: "Mandy [i can't go on i will go on] wrote: "Autumn [the end] wrote: "Mandy [i can't go on i will go on] wrote: "City of Ember actually followed the book really really well."

Yea, that was one of th..."

Yesh. Same here. Some things just....need to stay on paper. Like Hunger Games. I don't think that should be made into a movie.

message 39: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Talia wrote: "Mandy [i can't go on i will go on] wrote: "City of Ember actually followed the book really really well."

My friend told me that it didn't follow the book at all"

Really? Huh. I thought it did.... =/

message 40: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Christina wrote: "Hi :D what are we talking about? :D"

Movies in comparison to books. Do join the conversation. =)

Christina *Cantarella* ...Ok then...
Which book/movie we talkin about? :D

message 42: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 5031 comments Any or any that have been adapted for the cinema. :-)

message 43: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Christina wrote: "...Ok then...
Which book/movie we talkin about? :D"

I think multiple ones. =P City of Ember, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Tale of Desperaux....

Christina *Cantarella* hihihi...i gtg soon though T.T

message 45: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Aw, okay.

Christina *Cantarella* It's 11:04pm here...

message 47: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Woah....late. Okay, TTYL.

Christina *Cantarella* bye...

message 49: by Mandy (new)

Mandy  Harmon (mandyharmon) | 10724 comments Bye!

message 50: by Brigid ✩, No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader. (new)

Jayda wrote: "♥ Brigid ♥ wrote: "*cough* So yeah. Movie adaptations. WHO BESIDES ME IS REALLY EXCITED TO SEE "BEASTLY"?!"

OH MY GOSH, I want to see it soooo badly"

Ikr? Wooooo! I'm going with my friends Friday, I think. :D

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.