Carrier of the Mark (Carrier, #1) Carrier of the Mark discussion

A DEFINITE READ!

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Crystal ✬ Lost in Storyland I read this on Inkpop and can't wait to get a copy of THE CARRIER OF THE MARK. It's a Harper Collins must-read!!!

message 2: by Leigh (new) - added it

Leigh Fallon Cool! Thanks Kris.

Hanna Read it on Inkpop as well, seriously don't know if I can wait until October 4th to read the rest!!

message 4: by Leigh (new) - added it

Leigh Fallon Eeeek! So excited you like.

message 5: by Diana (new)

Diana Really looking forward to this. It's going to be a loooooooooong wait until October....

message 6: by Leigh (new) - added it

Leigh Fallon Diana wrote: "Really looking forward to this. It's going to be a loooooooooong wait until October...."

Woot! Oh the time will fly by... god I hope so...eeek!

Crystal ✬ Lost in Storyland It'll be here before we all know it :D

Ashley I got an advanced copy and have read all of it. It was one of those books I wasn't sure if I was going to like, and ended up falling in love. I got completely wrapped up and may have even read it in one sitting, but that's not all that unusual for me with a good YA book.

message 9: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat gauntt the title says it all cant wait until i get my hands on the next one becuase there just has to be more 0.0

Ginger One of the best books EVER!!! :)

Vetsy Most definitely a must read. I just finished reading and I want and need more. It's truly a real good book.

Cindy Definitely a series worth reading! Megan and Adam are such a cute and adorable couple!!!!!

Veronica Sorry but worst book I've ever read. Personal opinion. You may like it though. I don't know what your reading preferences are.

Wendy I must have read some of this on inkpop, because parts were very familiar. I didn't realize it was from inkpop until I'd finished. I was pulled in by the cover. I was disappointed in that it was, I thought, incredibly close to Twilight, except with Elementals instead of vampires. There is a review on Amazon that goes through part of it and matches up the scenes from Twilight that match the scenes from Carrier of the Mark, and there were quite a few, so I know it's not just me. I was disappointed. I don't plan on reading any more of the books in the series. I wish someone had been chosen from inkpop with something a little more original. I think this is so popular simply because it is like Twilight. My sister writes fanfic, and she did an experiment--she deliberately wrote something she considered to be truly bad fanfic, blatantly using Twilight themes, etc. It received more positive reviews than the fanfic she writes that is original and she takes more seriously. You can take from that what you will.

There are formulas that the more popular books are following, such as Carrier of the Mark, that readers don't want to seem to shake, while there are also some, in my opinion, really good books coming out that don't seem to garner as much attention. Some that are not Twilight copies, that have either already come out or are coming out very soon that some of you may like are:

Entwined-Heather Dixon

Finnikin of the Rock and Froi of the Exiles, Books 1 & 2 of The Lumatere Chronicles-Melina Merchetta

Grave Mercy-Robin LaFevers (this one has assassin nuns in it and still has a love story--truly, this is a pretty awesome book--I wasn't sure because of the cover, but assassin nuns? I only had an eGalley that will expire, so I'm definitely going to have to buy this one.

Ultraviolet-R.J. Anderson (if nothing else, just read chapter zero and see what you think after that. It does seem a little long in places, but I think it's worth checking out)

The Girl in the Steel Corset-Kady Cross This one may have some familiar elements, though a little switched around. It's a steampunkish book with some very interesting characters, romance, action, and there really is a steel corset. That one thing has set me off to learn more about corsets.

The Hex Hall Novels-Rachel Hawkins These are formulaic-girl with strange powers goes off to boarding school. They just seemed more interesting than most of the other boarding school novels. And the third one is out now, so you don't have to wait a year between each one.

The Girl of Fire and Thorns-Rae Carson This one has had a lot of attention, so I almost didn't read it, but it was actually quite good, I thought. It did remind me of another book very much in some parts, but I couldn't remember the name of the other book. There is a sequel coming out, I'm not sure when.

Bitterblue-Kristin Cashore This is coming out soon--I haven't read it so can't vouch for it, but Graceling and Fire were really different and good.

Nevermore-Kelly Creagh This is an odd, interesting, long romance with some very unique ideas that did get a little confusing at the end (which could be due to me--when I am really trying to follow the action of a story, I sometimes read too fast, then have to go back and see where they are-bad habit). The sequel is coming out, Enshadowed, and I am willing to give it a try.

I'm not trying to dictate reading or anything, just pointing out some things that are different than the Twilight type books and have some really kick ass main female characters. I will admit that I did read Twilight (the whole series, and I own them) and I liked it, but I can fully understand the arguments people have against it, because they're true. I don't think there's anything wrong with reading some books like that, but I think it's nice to branch out some as well. It's cool to have women that can fight with and sometimes even save the male characters.

I will say as well that Carrier of the Mark was written well, and the characters were likable, it was just that it was so blatantly close to Twilight... I would love to read something else by Leigh Fallon that was a little more original.

:-)

Crystal ✬ Lost in Storyland Honestly, I like Carrier of the Mark better. It has more plot and is more interesting than Twilight. :/ If you look anywhere hard enough, you'll find similarities in anything. The important part is how it's written / the story is told. Besides, Carrier of the Mark doesn't look like it's heading in the same direction as Twilight....

Kimberly Wendy wrote: "I must have read some of this on inkpop, because parts were very familiar. I didn't realize it was from inkpop until I'd finished. I was pulled in by the cover. I was disappointed in that it was, I..."

You can't compare the book with Twilight, It isn't the same.

message 17: by Angela (last edited Apr 02, 2012 07:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angela Carrier of the Mark was the first book published by inkpop i believe This was so beautifully written! A very fresh story line for me. I love that the story is set in Ireland. Can't wait for the sequel.

Cindy ALL I COULD TELL U GUYS IS THAT THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD, AND I LOVE IT!!!!!

Greengals LOVE THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greengals It was such a good book I am reading it for the, um, fifth time...? AMAZING!

Sabrina id read this over and over again! I LOVE IT!

YA Book Bum Does anyone know when the next book comes out? I've been waiting for decades and I'm kinda turning into Hades right now. There is literally fire on my head.

Angela It says it was published July 9, 2013. I guess I missed that date too.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

YA Book Bum Aaaaaaaaaaah, I've been living under a rock.

YA Book Bum but thank you!

message 26: by Kage (new)

Kage seems like a piece of shit...