The Novella Club discussion

Movies and more > Anyone seen the film of "Return of the Soldier"?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ivan (last edited Feb 25, 2011 05:39PM) (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
I watched this recently. It has a great cast - Alan Bates (Chris), Julie Christie (Kitty), Ann-Margret (Jenny) and Glenda Jackson (Margaret). As you might expect, it was very well acted. However, the filmmakers opened it up and gave Christie a much bigger role. The film just wasn't "special" - it lacks the beauty of the prose.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Interesting choice for cast. Of course, I pictured them differently! I might have cast Christie as Margaret; she's so lovely.

message 3: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 76 comments If you were casting now, with modern actors, who would you choose?

message 4: by Ivan (last edited Feb 26, 2011 05:34AM) (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Oh wouldn't Emma Thompson have made a lovely Margaret? Alas, I think she'd be too old current for a current production - I see them all as about 35 or so.

I'll have to think and report back.

message 5: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Maybe Sally Hawkins as Jenny. Rosamund Pike as either Margaret or Kitty. Kate Winslet would make a fine Margaret. David Tennant would make a nice Chris (he's quite a brilliant actor).

I'm still thinking about this...

message 6: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 76 comments I love Helena Bonham Carter when she's shabby - a poverty stricken Margaret would be good. Kelly McDonald (Scottish actress, Maggie Smith's maid in Gosford Park, now playing Mrs Schroder in Boardwalk Empire) would make a great Jenny in my minds eye. Kitty is a strange one - perhaps Rosamund Pike, like Ivan suggested. Or I could see Kiera Knightly playing a good snob, although she's not classically beautiful enough for the part. Scarlett Johansson would be a good Kitty or a Jenny. I see Kitty as a dark haired beauty, maybe Liv Tyler? or Kate Bekinsale? or even Gemma Anderton if she was a little older.

Not at all sure who I'd cast as Chris - perhaps Clive Owen or Paul Bettany?

Ally

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I would pick Bettany over Owen for Chris. Clive Owen is just so robust (in a good way), and that's not how I picture Chris. Or how about Ewan McGregor or James McAvoy.

I'll have to think about the women....

message 8: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 76 comments I think the thingthat strikes me about the characterisation of Chris is a kind of vacancy - I've seen Owen do that very well, although I can also see what you mean about his robustness. Bettany is very energetic and full of beans as an actor so again, there are elements of his style that don't fit with the sedateness of Chris now, but for flashbacks of a younger carefree Chriss Bettany might be perfect. - I like the James McAvoy idea too.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I always picture Bettany as either Dustfinger or Dr. Maturin, both somewhat sad roles, at times. I haven't see Owen in enough roles. (I probably should.)

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

For the ladies: Emily Blunt for Kitty, Emily Watson for Jenny, and for Margaret Bonham-Carter, if she were younger, or Rosamund Pike.

Maybe Jonathan Rhys-Meyers for Chris?

message 11: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Rhys-Myers is a handsome dog. Maybe Henry Cavill as Chris. Fenella Woolgar as Jenny.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

He is definitely a handsome dog! But, I can just picture those eyes gazing at Margaret. I have to look up the other two actors you've listed.