Romance Audiobooks discussion

Recommendation Give & Take > How do you carry your MP3 player?

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lea's Audiobooks (last edited Feb 25, 2011 03:21PM) (new)

Lea's Audiobooks Hensley (leahensleysaudiobooks) Diana mentioned in our "Listening to in February" thread that she uses her bra to carry her iPod. I must admit that I often do the same. Here's my question. How do you carry yours day in and day out to avoid damaging from dropping, etc.? I just broke my clip-on case for my 4th Generation Nano and, of course, I can't find another locally. Before I go looking on the internet, I thought I'd pose the question. I have broken 4 clip-on cases over the past few years. I can't always utilize my bra since I often listen at night in my nightgown.

To me, this is a Serious question!

message 2: by MaryK (new)

MaryK | 168 comments Lea's Audiobooks wrote: "Diana mentioned in our "Listening to in February" thread that she uses her bra to carry her iPod. I must admit that I often do the same. Here's my question. How do you carry yours day in and day..."

I don't have one, but I've seen an ipod holder on an armband that goes around the upper arm. I think they're marketed to athletes particularly runners.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Mason | 129 comments I bought one of those armbands and never used it. *sigh* I mostly put mine in my pocket or leave it laying beside me if I'm staying put. If I'm listening at home, my iPod is usually plugged into a speaker system.

message 4: by ~KarenH~ (new)

~KarenH~ | 36 comments I have a Sansa Clip, and it's very tiny (about the size of a matchbook), so I can clip it just about anywhere without a problem. Most of the time I clip it on my bra strap so I can tuck the headphone wires inside my shirt and keep them out of the way, but if I'm listening at night in my nightgown I clip it on the neckline, up fairly high on my shoulder. The clip is so light that even on a lightweight summer nightgown it works fine.

message 5: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments I used to use a great lanyard case for my Nano, and I have a Sansa Clip too (MP3 player overload) and now I use a bluetooth headset with the iphone so I can put it in my purse, or leave it anywhere in my apartment.

message 6: by MaryK (new)

MaryK | 168 comments Melinda wrote: "I used to use a great lanyard case for my Nano, and I have a Sansa Clip too (MP3 player overload) and now I use a bluetooth headset with the iphone so I can put it in my purse, or leave it anywhere..."

I got a bluetooth headset for Christmas. I need to take the time to set it up and start listening around the house.

message 7: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Well, I have an iPod classic (160 GB) that I carry around. Usually at my waist or if I'm out at the store, I have a small purse that I sling over body and I stick it in there. I have Speck ToughSkin Rubberized Case for my precious so if it does hit the ground I do feel like it's as protected as it can get! :)

message 8: by Diana (new)

Diana (dianadcmd) Alas, in winter weather the bra is not accessible. I've gotten to the point where I won't buy a sweater or pants without pockets big and sturdy enough for my iphone. Looking forward to warmer weather and scoop neck shirts so I can go back to the bra.

message 9: by Barbie (new)

Barbie | 24 comments well since i suck at keeping ipod in my area I carry my 4th generation in a leather case . I know but if i m going to buy an ipod i want the 4th gen i touch ( the best)!

message 10: by Brenda (last edited Feb 28, 2011 12:13PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Melinda can you tell me which bluetooth headset you use and are happy with? I'm looking into them ...

My one complaint about the iPod Touch is the lack of an external play/pause button. I love my leather flip case for it but hate having to open it, wake up the player and then hit pause!

I have, and still do, use the bra option. Very handy.

For my iPod classic I LOVE the clip on case, Contour Design Showcase. (OK Vic, how'd you get the link to your case inserted? )

I've used the case two years now and the clip is as strong as ever, whether hooked on the waist of flimsy pajama bottoms or jeans, allowing the headphone cords to run under my top so they don't get caught on things.

message 11: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments @Brenda - I used HTML...

*less than*a href="http://www.amazon.com/Speck-ToughSkin... than*Speck ToughSkin Rubberized Case*less than*/a*greater than*

replace *less than* with <
replace *greater than* with >

message 12: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments There shouldn't be any * in the string when you're done with the replacement...

message 13: by Melinda (new)

Melinda (melindaparmer) | 123 comments Right now I have Jaybird Sportsband Bluetooth -it's a little tight on the ears but works well. I used to have a Jabra Halo but it's really too flimsy and the plastic hinges finally gave out. Both are headsets, with mics built into them for using with a phone. An incoming call stops the audio while you talk and picks up after you hang up.

Brenda, < /a href="put your url here inside quotes" > put your link words here< /a > EXCEPT remove the space and the / between the first < and a; remove the space only between the last < and /.

Also you can click the very, very light gray (preview) next to Post to see if it worked.

message 14: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Thanks for the Bluetooth rec Melinda. I'd really love to get rid of the ear phone wires. But I've gotten so used to noise canceling ear buds I don't know if I can go back to over the head type headphones. Decisions, decisions?

Good idea about previewing a post, overlooked that option. Since the Contour Case I use is now 2 to 3 months out when ordering at Amazon there's no use practicing my HTML. :)

I am saving the tips from you and Vic though.

message 15: by Barbie (new)

Barbie | 24 comments thanks guys I m going to buy the bluetooth so I can listen on the bus to go to school my romance novels!

message 16: by Barbie (new)

Barbie | 24 comments Guys I just want to say thanks for all the suggestions b/c this week while walking I did the bra thing it works better than having to stick in my pocket.

message 17: by Kalena (new)

Kalena (KalenaV) | 36 comments Brenda wrote:
My one complaint about the iPod Touch is the lack of an external play/pause button. I love my..."

Me too! Me too! I read that you are supposed to be able to double click the button and a pause/play bar will pop up. Doesn't always work for me

Around the house The player goes in the bra. I still have the darn cord from my ear buds in the way. As I work (kitchen especially) my family is accustomed to hearing "GACK!" as the ear bud catches on a knob and gets ripped from my ear. I'm going to check out the bluetooth rec!

message 18: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 1329 comments While I'm walking in the street, it's usually in the pocket of my jacket or in my purse.

I also have two armbands that I bought for the gym but I never wear either. I never thought of using it around the house while I'm listening and doing chores...great idea!

message 19: by Vinity (last edited May 13, 2011 12:02PM) (new)

Vinity | 22 comments I use both my ipod and itouch for listening. With the itouch I use an armband. For the ipod I use a light Camera strap. {and yes, I get odd looks when I'm out but I don't care}

I like the idea of putting it in my bra but doesn't it get damp? I'm out at the barn a lot and I sweat, plus, I'm getting to that age. Plus, as I pretty much always have it with me and on most all day with only one earplug in so I can hear and I tend to have to pause a lot. Doesn't digging it out of the bra become a pain?

Does the bluetooth headset work with ipods?

message 20: by Kelli (last edited May 13, 2011 01:08PM) (new)

Kelli (oddiophile) Vinity wrote: "Does the bluetooth headset work with ipods?"

Your iTouch (unless it is a 1st gen) should work with bluetooth headsets. For your non-touch iPod, you could do what I did - I got a tiny bluetooth transmitter and headset (i10s transmitter and Motorola S503) recently for my Nano Touch. I didn't think I would ever want to use something other than my earphones because of sound quality differences but for things like gardening and chopping wood going cordless is sooo handy. Plus since it is a headset, I don't have to do the one-earphone-out thing to be able to hear other things.

The downside to the separate transmitter is that it is powered by the iPod and eats battery power like mad.

message 21: by Vinity (last edited May 13, 2011 03:26PM) (new)

Vinity | 22 comments Which bluetooth headset did you get for the itouch? I have two itouches 3rd & 4th gen. It's just I usually prefer the ipod but eating battery is a bad bad thing. LOL

message 22: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (oddiophile) I use the Motorola MOTOROKR S503 and yes, 3 hours max on the nano with the bluetooth transmitter is, indeed, a bad bad thing.

message 23: by Vinity (new)

Vinity | 22 comments Kelli wrote: "I use the Motorola MOTOROKR S503 and yes, 3 hours max on the nano with the bluetooth transmitter is, indeed, a bad bad thing."

What is the battery life usually? My ipod classic goes for about 25-30 hours. I listen to a LOT of audiobooks so I need the big storage. This is a newish one so I don't have a lot of old books on it but I have about 80 gigs right now.

message 24: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (oddiophile) Vinity wrote: What is the battery life usually? My ipod classic goes ..."

For the headphones? I'm not sure since the bluetooth transmitter always kills the Nano battery first and I'll just charge them both at the same time. The transmitter I have cuts the regular iPod battery life by at least 75% because without the transmitter I can listen to my Nano all day and more.

message 25: by Susinok (new)

Susinok I have the iPod Classic 160 GB version. It's sort of heavy, so when I clip it to myself, I clip it into the inside of a pocket if I'm in work clothes, or on the inside of my sports bra on the side strap if I'm in my exercise gear (which I also put on for housework).

At work it just sits next to me on the desk. I don't like to get up and walk around with the iPod on.

message 26: by Tania (new)

Tania Okay - my addiction to audiobooks has just reached a whole new level because I got an iPod Shuffle to add to my gadget collection. It's so light and portable! I barely even know I've got it on.

So here's my new recommendation. If you want a cheap alternative to wear whilst walking around get a shuffle - particularly when the new shuffle comes out (which should be soon) and the old model goes on sale.

(2GB has approx 18 audiobooks on it)

message 27: by Krissie (new)

Krissie | 224 comments I have a new way to listen to audiobooks. When I'm swimming. I already had this great pouch I bought at Amazon, and I had a swimming playlist on my shuffle, but I couldn't find it when I started swimming again and I didn't want to risk my IPod Classic or the Nano in the waterproof pouch (even though it never leaks). So I used my Sandisk Sansa and I'm listening to Archangel's Consort. Very odd doing the backstroke while Raphael and Elena are doing the deed in great and inventive detail.
Plus, it makes me exercise longer until I finish a chapter.

message 28: by Vikisha (new)

Vikisha (lafemmetopaz) | 20 comments I have leather pouch for my mp3 player. I have a Creative Zen Plus and Creative Zen. I love the quality of both players and both have clip/belt pouches.

message 29: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Vikisha, I used Creative MP3's for a long time, from way back when Audible was giving away the credit card sized ones with a membership. Love them, they are a great product with many pluses - but then I became greedy and went for the iPod Classic with a lot of GB space so I could carry a whole audiobook library on my hip, with a belt clip case. :)

message 30: by Vic (new)

Vic (vicaet) | 494 comments Yeah - my iPod Classic 160 GB allows me to carry around all my music playlists, "essential" audiobooks, and my TBL audiobooks with you pretty much all the time. I'm greedy too Brenda!

message 31: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Krissie have you seen the new water proof "Waterfi iPod Shuffle"? I just started noticing the ads for them.

Is it greedy or just downright obsessed Vic? :D I have one opinion but my kids definitely have another about my need to have the perfect music and so many audiobooks at my finger tips.

message 32: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 310 comments Krissie wrote: "I have a new way to listen to audiobooks. When I'm swimming. I already had this great pouch I bought at Amazon, and I had a swimming playlist on my shuffle, but I couldn't find it when I started ..."

This is a funny message! Lol K!

message 33: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (benoibe) | 310 comments I listen on a 6month old cracked-screen IPad, and write to you all at the same time... It's glorious. Until the screen pieces fall off.

message 34: by Brenda (last edited Apr 08, 2012 04:32PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments These...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-med...

are the best addition to my audiobook listening "must haves".

Wireless Bluetooth ear-buds that comfortably lay around my neck and have a large play/pause button that is no where near the skip track button. :)

Great sound - comfort - no cords to catch on things - battery life near 10 hours and they recharge with my Kindle charger if I can't find the one that came with them. Love them...

message 35: by Brenda (last edited Apr 08, 2012 04:35PM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Oh yeah, they work with a phone too but I've never used mine that way - I only listen to books with them.

message 36: by Brenda (last edited Apr 09, 2012 09:32AM) (new)

Brenda Audiobooks Only | 631 comments Great 2 minute hands on review of the wireless headset from YouTube, the magnetic grasping of the ear buds when not in use is another great feature among many:

http://youtu.be/RtIT9tHT2Z8

ETA: I use them with my iPod Touch's Bluetooth ability

and also with my iPod Classic when I attach a small wireless adapter to it

message 37: by BiblioJen (last edited Apr 10, 2012 09:49AM) (new)

BiblioJen | 22 comments Tania wrote: "Okay - my addiction to audiobooks has just reached a whole new level because I got an iPod Shuffle to add to my gadget collection. It's so light and portable! I barely even know I've got it on.
..."

Tania, I use the Shuffle also, especially when I am exercising. I rely the rest of the time on my iPod Classic, as I, like others here, am greedy and want to carry lots of books around at a time. The Shuffle is awesome for its light weight and I enjoy it as a "single purpose" sort of device. I find the navigation too clumsy to sort through lots of material on it though, so I tend to limit myself to only my workout music playlist and my current book, so I can pick either depending on my mood.

For the iPod Classic, I have a leather pouch/clip thingie, very similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/DLO-HipCase-Lea...

Without a doubt, the iPod devices have changed my entire audiobook experience!