Reading the Chunksters discussion

The Crimson Petal and the White
This topic is about The Crimson Petal and the White
Archived 2011 Group Reads > Crimson Petal and the White

Comments Showing 1-50 of 209 (209 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Kristi (last edited Feb 25, 2011 03:07PM) (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Ok everyone, it looks like we will be starting this book on April 3, 2011

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

Start Date: April 3, 2011
End Date: July 23, 2011

The edition I am using for my schedule is:

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber

Schedule:

Week 1 (April 3-9): ch 1-2 (1-44)
Week 2 (April 10-16): Ch 2-5 (45-105)
Week 3 (April 17-23): Ch 6-7 (106-151)
Week 4 (April 24-30): Ch 8-9 (152-202)
Week 5 (May 1-7): Ch 10-11 (203-249)
Week 6 (May 8-14): Ch 12-13 (250-301)
Week 7 (May 15-21): Ch 14-15 (302-351)
Week 8 (May 22-28): Ch 16-17 (352-399)
Week 9 (May29-June 4): Ch 18-19 (400-446)
Week 10 (June 5-11): Ch 20-21 (447-494)
Week 11 (June 12-18): Ch 22-23 (495-547)
Week 12 (June 19-25): Ch 24-25 (549-597)
Week 13 (June 26-July 2): Ch 26-27 (598-643)
Week 14 (July 3-9): Ch 28-29 (644-692)
Week 15 (July 10-16): Ch 30-32 (693-763)
Week 16 (July 17-23): Ch 33-END! (764-833)

we will use this thread for discussion

Kristina (kristina3880) ooh! The anticipation is killing me!!

Liz   (lizvegas) You guys are in for such a treat. I bet most of you don't stay on the schedule. I read this in a week because I was so taken by the story! Enjoy!

Silver This book is on my TBR list for this year, so this will be perfect since I was planning on reading it anyways.

Loretta (lorettalucia) Liz, when I read this back in 2003, I think I read it in about a week as well. It's hard to put down.

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'm excited to start!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Im really looking forward to this one!

AM10000 I'm in for this one for sure!! :)

message 9: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Got my swapped copy today and am ready to go! This is definitely a chunkster read. :)

message 10: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) One more week!!

message 11: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Yay!

message 12: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) oh Tasha...how are we ever going to keep up with all of these great books???

message 13: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I've been wondering the same thing! ;)

message 14: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I suppose I'll have to se aside a night just for the Chunkster books, and then just try to zip everything else in around it...lol. This could get crazy!!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Im hoping the library will come threw for me..I havent been able to find in my UBS..when months ago it was everywhere! :(

Denise (momtoconnor) Loved this book!! You'll definitely enjoy it!

message 17: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Mar 25, 2011 12:47PM) (new) - added it

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Sandi wrote: "Im hoping the library will come threw for me..I havent been able to find in my UBS..when months ago it was everywhere! :("

Just picked up at the library today! Im ready! (going to have to use knees to prop this one up!)

message 18: by Kristi (last edited Mar 25, 2011 12:56PM) (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Yeah, it's HUGE isn't it??

message 19: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Mar 25, 2011 12:59PM) (new) - added it

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Kristi wrote: "Yeah, it's HUGE isn't it??"

I wish I could have found in trade paperback.This is hardcover..for sure III be using the knees! LOL!

Kristina (kristina3880) I will pick up this book tomorrow. From reading from the commentary above.... When this read is over, I better have some killer guns. See you can exercise and still lay on the couch...Awesome!!

message 21: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Yep, that's really the only reason I wanted to read this book...working out while laying down! You just totally made my night!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Liz Vegas wrote: "You guys are in for such a treat. I bet most of you don't stay on the schedule. I read this in a week because I was so taken by the story! Enjoy!"

You are so right Liz! Im guilty! I finished week 1..and I dont think I can wait to start week 2, its drawn me in right away..Im reading another book..but I keep thinking about this one..

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) I just saw my paperback copy on my shelf (sitting there for months, waiting for this read!!) and wondered 'geez, what happened about that side read? I never got any update messages!'

So, here I am, SO thankful that we're starting tomorrow and haven't already started! I'm excited! I'll start marking my book with post-its today so I don't get ahead of myself. :D

message 24: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Woo hoo! It all starts tomorrow!

message 25: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Ok, here we go!

Week 1, April 3-9: Ch 1-2 (1-44)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) Someone else is in Europe... XD I guess I can start reading this book before I go to bed at 3am now!

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) I just finished the first section. And I was hard put not to continue!

So far I love the tone of the story. I wasn't sure if I was ring addressed personally, but once I was invites to get into bed with Caroline, well, there you have that. The characters are quite something so far! Sugar, especially, I'd not your average girl. I liked the glimpses into her mind.

Next week can't come to soon!

Silver I have to say I cannot decide just what I think of the narration style of the book. It is quite a different approach, and an interesting way in which the narrator guides the reader into the story, and interacts between the reader and the characters.

But I think that there can be both advantages and disadvantages in the author having too much of a voice within a story, and I never fully know just what I think of that approach I am always on the fence about it. In spite of the way in which the reader is invited into the story, the strong presence of the author's voice in the story keeps the reader at a certain distance from the story becasue they than remain between the reader and the story.

There is something about the interactive approach to the writing that made me think of the old choose your own adventure books when I was a kid.

Kristina (kristina3880) Well well well......I feel like it is a voyeuristic approach to the story. The narrator and the reader are stalking the people the book is talking about. I feel like the narrator is trying to dominate the readers thoughts, feelings, and how to react to the people we are reading about. I kept smiling, okay were does the bondage and whips come out???? Curious to see next weeks excerpt. Did anyone else feel like this??

message 30: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I kind of like this approach. It feels like the author is taking your hand and asking you to come along. Kind of like when a good friend tells you a story. Although i do find myself having to totally surrender my typical problem solving/thinking ahead with this book, since I have no idea where the author is going to go next. This could be a very promising book, or a very bad book...guess we will see where it leads us...

What does everyone think of Sugar so far? I find her intriguing, and really want to keep following her.

message 31: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Apr 03, 2011 06:37PM) (new) - added it

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) I too liked this approach,it drew me in right away,and I felt like I had time-traveled to a different time and had to look & see things threw the narrators eyes.As for Sugar,I think there is more to her than meets the eye..and we are about to find out!

Silver Sandi wrote: "I too liked this approach,it drew me in right away,and I felt like I had time-traveled to a different time and had to look & see things threw the narrators eyes.As for Sugar,I think there is more t..."

Yes I agree with that, the first chapter of the story did put me in the mind of feeling like I was a time travler and it did feel like the narrator is acting like a guide into this different time period.

message 33: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I did not expect this kind of narrator but it is growing on me. I'm not totally hooked yet but I'm going to continue on and see where it takes me next. Glad to have finally started :)

Loretta (lorettalucia) I'm glad you're all enjoying this book. I loved the approach taken with the narrator's voice. You're all making me want to re-read it. ;-)

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) I'm waiting for tomorrow... come faster tomorrow! xD

It's great so far, and I'm excited to read the next section, can you tell? :D *jumps up and down*

message 36: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) I'll post for next week today, since there are *some* who are excited to read it...(me)

Week 2, April 10-16: Ch 2-5 (45-105)

What are your thoughts???

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) Bah! Naughty Kristi! I will wait until the 10th to read it :P I have cookies to bake now!

message 38: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Mmmmm...cookies! You gonna send some my way, or am I going to have to bake my own??

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) Bake your own; these are for my boyfriend :P

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Kristi wrote: "I'll post for next week today, since there are *some* who are excited to read it...(me)

Week 2, April 10-16: Ch 2-5 (45-105)

What are your thoughts???"

Thanks Kristi for the go! Was hard to wait! And I found a soft cover much easier than the HC and I dont have to keep borrowing from the library!

message 41: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I finished week 2 and I gotta say, it's just not grabbing me like I thought it would. I'm giving it another couple of weeks and see what happens. I don't hate it, it's just boring to me. We'll see...

message 42: by Tasha (new)

Tasha There is one thing though...

If you have finished week 2
(view spoiler)

message 43: by Silver (last edited Apr 12, 2011 01:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Silver Tasha wrote: "There is one thing though...

Yes, I really wanted to know what that was, but it seems like it will be left to our imginations, unless something of his desire is to be revealed later down the line.

message 44: by Loretta (last edited Apr 12, 2011 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loretta (lorettalucia) Silver wrote: "Tasha wrote: "There is one thing though...

Yes, I really wanted to know what that was, but it seems like it will be left to our imginations, unless something of hi..."

It's been about 8 years since I read this, but I don't recall very much being left to the imagination, generally speaking.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Tasha wrote: "There is one thing though...

I'm very curious exactly what it is that Rackham wants to ask Sugar to let him do, that the twin whores wouldn't let him do! I'm guessing ..."

I have to agree with you Tasha, didnt quite grab me this time around..only Im curious as to what Rackham wants..than again maybe I dont want to know? guess we will find out..I only hope it dosent start to get out of the comfort zone for me.

Silver I have to say presently I have somewhat mixed feelings about the book. I do find aspects of it to be compelling to read, and the narration of it does make it a pretty easy read, and it seems also to go by pretty quickly for the most part. There are interesting things about it.

But at the same time, I cannot help now and than to think, that I hope as the story progresses there is something more added to the storyline, because it seems like an awful long book if it does not develop into something more complex than just having sex with prostitutes.

message 47: by Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (last edited Apr 12, 2011 04:35PM) (new) - added it

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Silver wrote: "I have to say presently I have somewhat mixed feelings about the book. I do find aspects of it to be compelling to read, and the narration of it does make it a pretty easy read, and it seems also t..."

I agree Silver, I dont mind the sex/prostitutes, but I have to have more of a "story" and more of the characters..has to have a good balance of all if its to keep me in.

♥Xeni♥ (xeni) I have a bad tendency to want to continue reading whenever I stop at the end of a section, no matter that I marked it with post-its or not!

What stuck me most in this section (week 2) was that there was a lot of... hmm... I suppose one could call it cultural aspects. Essentially, there is a lot of talk of whores, and shopping and what a gentleman's lot in life is. Not necessarily bad, and I did quite enjoy the 'blast from the past' with the songs and poetry, but at the same time I feel like the story is taking a while to move towards it's main point, whatever that may be.

Tasha wrote: "There is one thing though...
If you have finished week 2 "spoiler" ..."

I definitely feel the same! I am dying of curiosity here, and if Faber doesn't tell us soon I will not stop reading until I do figure it out!

I'm guessing, but I can't really pick any sexual act that whores wouldn't preform back in those days... I suppose more research is necessary on my part, but perhaps it's not something necessarily strictly sexual? Rackham's two friends did mention whips and being beaten, so if that is that readily accepted in their society I really can not guess what might not be accepted!

Silver ♥Xeni♥ wrote: "I have a bad tendency to want to continue reading whenever I stop at the end of a section, no matter that I marked it with post-its or not!

What stuck me most in this section (week 2) was that the..."

I am beginning to wonder if indeed what he wants was not in fact some act of sexual deviance, but perhaps something, something more than that, and thus something that would be out of the realm of a whore generally speaking.

For it did say that what made Sugar so special was not just that she would do anything, (as it indicated that there are others who would as well) but the way in which Sugar would do it with a smile on her face.

I was also struck by the scene in which he fell asleep upon her bed and how it was stated that that sort of thing would ordinarily not be allowed.

Another possibility that struck my mind, though I do not know if it was strictly true for the Victorian age, but it is common practice that whores do not allow clients to kiss them on the lips because that act is being seen as too intimate in a personal way, that there is more of an emotional connection involved in kissing.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* (thepiratewench) Silver wrote: "♥Xeni♥ wrote: "I have a bad tendency to want to continue reading whenever I stop at the end of a section, no matter that I marked it with post-its or not!

What stuck me most in this section (wee..."

I was thinking the same Silver..kissing was not allowed or any intimate/emotional contact..and poor Rackham is lacking in all due to his wife..so maybe..

« previous 1 3 4 5