Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > **March Monthly Challenge - Food and Lifestyle**

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mandapanda (last edited Feb 25, 2011 02:22PM) (new)

Mandapanda March's theme: Food and Lifestyle Challenge

Photobucket

The fabulous and delicious Melbourne Food and Wine Festival is held every March in Melbourne, Australia. In honour of this gastronomically scrumptious event we're holding a Food and Lifestyle Challenge! The ground rules are simple. Pick a book or magazine that fits into any of the following categories:

- A book with a title that includes any food related words, e.g Like Water for Chocolate, Eat, Pray, Love, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society or Tea Time for the Traditionally Built.

- A book about healthy living or diet, e.g The CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet, French Women Don't Get Fat Cookbook or Losing the Last 5 Kilos: Your Kick-Arse Guide to Looking & Feeling Fantastic.

- A recipe book, e.g. Maggie's Harvest, The Naked Chef or Surfing the Menu. (You can even read a magazine if you like!)

This would have to be the easiest book challenge around so pour yourself a glass of wine and get reading! Feel free to post your favourite health and fitness tips or the best recipes from your chosen book.:) The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

YUM! :D

message 3: by Rebecca (last edited Feb 25, 2011 06:20PM) (new)

Rebecca Mugridge | 3 comments What an awesome idea!
*Fast, fresh and fabulous-Janelle Bloom ( from ready steady cook)
and some more hopefully =)

If anyone is stuck for some titles check out the Australian Writer's Rock website =)
http://www.australianwritersrock.com/

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments Ah, i read a book for my Summer challenge that would have fitted well.

However, I've many beer magazines I've been meaning to read..So it can fi in with the 'title' thing and it's also full of recipes.

I think today I'm going to pick up the CSIRO book. And I also bout this book about Japanese woman staying so thin so both of those books fits into the healthy living/diet area.

Heh..I think I've covered that all without really trying to, in otherwords pretty much TBR books again which is nice to cross off the list.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) I'll be reading Guernsey... for a Community Read in real life with my library, but I'm going to go ahead and pull Rootabaga Stories, Part One off Mt. TBR, too.

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (last edited Mar 20, 2011 02:17AM) (new)

Brenda | 70540 comments Mod
I'll read Losing the Last 5 Kilos: Your Kick-Arse Guide to Looking & Feeling Fantastic ..getting it from the library..

read..

message 7: by Mandapanda (last edited Feb 25, 2011 11:19PM) (new)

Mandapanda To add a bit of spice to the challenge we have a great book giveaway!

We are giving away one copy of the well known and very popular book by Aussie author Rebecca Mugridge called The Pram Diet! Go to this discussion thread to enter the giveaway: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/5...

"My first published book, The Pram Diet shares at its heart an uplifting story on how I got through depression after having my baby, lost 30 kilo's and really found a whole new energy and vibrance to my life.

From healthy, family friendly recipes, expert gardening advice to get started growing your own food and great ways to relax, relieve stress, exercise and be inspired to take better care of your health.

It is an inspirational, heartfelt book written by a mother for mothers."

The Pram Diet by Rebecca Mugridge

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Count me in. I'll read Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating. Love Jane Goodall's books, so this will be no hardship.

message 9: by Matilda (new)

Matilda (mjb21) | 7 comments I've read Cherry Chocolate by Cathy Cassidy

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Matilda, read already? I'm biting my nails over here waiting for March!

*MystGrrl Reviews* (mystgrrl) | 18 comments I've read Simply from Scratch (a.k.a Scrumpy Delight For Polly Pinch) by Alicia Bessette, then Julia's Chocolates by Cathy Lamb, then went back to an old favourite Garden Spells & then finally The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen. Sarah Addison Allen always ends up making me bake something or crave something sweet ;-)

message 12: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda I've just finished Tea Time for the Traditionally Built. I love Alexander McCall Smith's No. 1 Ladies Detective series. It really makes me remember all the good times I had when I was lucky enough to work/live in Africa.

Tea Time for the Traditionally Built (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #10) by Alexander McCall Smith

message 13: by SueM (new)

SueM (4tun8) | 16 comments I was hesitant to say yes as I was enjoying novels introduced by February's challenge (a whole lot more books that I hadn't read!), then realized that one I had bought also fitted this month's challenge. Anyway, long story short, I completed the challenge by reading Like Coffee and Doughnuts. Not bad to be inspired by one challenge so much that the next challenge is covered...

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments SueM wrote: "I was hesitant to say yes as I was enjoying novels introduced by February's challenge (a whole lot more books that I hadn't read!), then realized that one I had bought also fitted this month's chal..."

Grats :D!! I like the title of this book...I get a hankering for both food items mentioned in the title now..lol

message 15: by SueM (new)

SueM (4tun8) | 16 comments Mmm, now that you mention it, could handle both myself! A cup of tea just isn't the same now...

message 16: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

SueM wrote: "I was hesitant to say yes as I was enjoying novels introduced by February's challenge (a whole lot more books that I hadn't read!), then realized that one I had bought also fitted this month's chal..."

Well covered...:D yes, a doughnut or two would go down well...not the coffee tho, or I'll be up all night..LOL

message 17: by Matilda (new)

Matilda (mjb21) | 7 comments I've read 'Chew on This' by Eric Schlosser and Charles Wilson

message 18: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments I have put aside a couple of books for this challenge

Ebook - Cabbage, Strudel and Trams by Ivana Hruba and Sushi for Beginners by Marian Keyes and The Christmas Feast by Peggy Webb (would this one count, I figured the word Feast would do it)

message 19: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda They all sound Yummilicious Bronwyn!:)

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments OH...I've changed my mind..I plan to read a graphic novel called: Chew-Taster's Choice

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

For this challenge I might simply go out and shout myself a copy of the Delicious magazine. I love that magazine.

http://www.taste.com.au/delicious/

message 22: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Saw 'Adam Hills in Gordon Street' last night and enjoyed the show, including the interview with Jeff Lindsay, the author of the Dexter series. So this has inspired me to start again the book Dexter Is Delicious which hoepfully I can include in this challenge ... not sure if there is any mention of food in the book however.

message 23: by Matilda (new)

Matilda (mjb21) | 7 comments Dee-Ann wrote: "Saw 'Adam Hills in Gordon Street' last night and enjoyed the show, including the interview with Jeff Lindsay, the author of the Dexter series. So this has inspired me to start again the book [book..."

I saw that too! I love AH he's so funny!

message 24: by Kora (new)

Kora (koraj) | 61 comments Oh no, I missed that episode of Adam Hills :(

I bought a small but very cute, beautifully illustrated, handmade recipe book The Hungry Girls' Cookbook. I don't need to cook a dish to satisfy the challenge, right?!

message 25: by Mandapanda (new)

Mandapanda Hey that looks like a great cookbook K! No you don't have to make a recipe, just flick through and enjoy the pics!

message 26: by Deb (new)

Deb (varmint) | 66 comments I've just finished reading Eat, Pray, Love.... I would love to eat all that delicious Italian food but how much weight would I put on ??? I am going to grab the movie and watch it tonight whilst eating spagetti, garlic bread and fresh garden salad from our vegie patch...then tomorrow its back to cloudstreet and the autumn challenge.

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

message 28: by Maggie (new)

Maggie | 3 comments Completed Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating for the March challenge.

LOVE this book, but then I'm a fan of Jane Goodall's writing. Her books are always interesting and straightforward reads. She writes from the heart, which adds to the pleasure in reading her works. Whilst I didn't necessarily learn enormous amounts reading this book (only because I have read and learnt quite a bit on the topics covered) I still enjoyed reading it. Totally recommend it for anyone with an interest in healthy lifestyle. She also covers in some detail the role of multinationals in the control of what food is made available to us - very concerning.

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments Finished Taster's Choice few minutes ago. I LOVE the artwork and the storyline is just odd but I'm hooked on it. Worth picking it up for a different style of comic/graphic novel.

message 30: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments I am changing my book choice as the month is running along and I am not getting as much read as I thought I would. I have just started listening to Recipes for a Perfect Marriage by Kate Kerrigan and I am finding it quite good.

message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Bronwyn wrote: "I am changing my book choice as the month is running along and I am not getting as much read as I thought I would. I have just started listening to [bookcover:Recipes for a Perfect Marriage|108483..."

That sounds interesting Bronwyn!!

message 32: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments Brenda wrote: "Bronwyn wrote: "I am changing my book choice as the month is running along and I am not getting as much read as I thought I would. I have just started listening to [bookcover:Recipes for a Perfect..."

It's not a bad story so far - about a woman who has just married because she felt she had to at 38 or spend the rest of her life on her own and at the same time as comiserating to us about her marriage she is reading her grandmother's diary (she though her grandparents had been happily married) - now she is finding similarities to her own marriage.

message 33: by Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (last edited Mar 24, 2011 02:15PM) (new)

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Ok I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society so, come on, April! :)

message 34: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

@ Bronwyn, sounds very interesting...glad you're enjoying it so far..

@ Cheryl, April isn't far away, lol!!! :)

message 35: by Emily (new)

Emily | 83 comments Read the Masterchef Cook Book for a school assignment. Had to find a recipe and Im sad to say Im not that good at cooking. Still fun to read though.

message 36: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Emily wrote: "Read the Masterchef Cook Book for a school assignment. Had to find a recipe and Im sad to say Im not that good at cooking. Still fun to read though."

Ha Emily!!! I'd love to be able to cook like those in the Masterchef series..any chef actually. I guess I'm lucky I can cook enough to 'keep my family alive' lol

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments Emily wrote: "Read the Masterchef Cook Book for a school assignment. Had to find a recipe and Im sad to say Im not that good at cooking. Still fun to read though."

Keep on trying to cook and you get better :D! I've had plently of bombed meals..lol I once made a chocolate self saucing pudding be like a RUBBER ball...It was bouncy!!

Now I've got a funny story to tell but yet I've never tried to cook that pudding again..LOL

message 38: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Laura wrote: "Emily wrote: "Read the Masterchef Cook Book for a school assignment. Had to find a recipe and Im sad to say Im not that good at cooking. Still fun to read though."

Keep on trying to cook and you g..."

Ha Laura!! I buy them from the supermarket, heat them in the microwave and viola!!! perfect chocolate self saucing pudding...lol :)

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments Hehehe, that is the way to cure the problem of bouncing puddings XD

message 40: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Laura wrote: "Hehehe, that is the way to cure the problem of bouncing puddings XD"

:D

message 41: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments Deb wrote: "I've just finished reading Eat, Pray, Love.... I would love to eat all that delicious Italian food but how much weight would I put on ??? I am going to grab the movie and watch it tonight whilst e..."

I hope this was as good as it sounded and how did the movie compare to the book?

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4299 comments Bronwyn wrote: "Deb wrote: "I've just finished reading Eat, Pray, Love.... I would love to eat all that delicious Italian food but how much weight would I put on ??? I am going to grab the movie and watch it toni..."
the book is interesting, wouldn't say it was the best book ppl are making it out to sound though.

i've no idea on the movie though...i think the movie could do better than the book for some reason. i still need to watch it.

message 43: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn Rykiert | 315 comments It turns out Eat, Pray, Love has been chosen for our next book club read, so I will be able to have my own opinion of it next month.

I have at last finished my book in this challenge Recipes for a Perfect Marriage by Kate Kerrigan and reviewed.

message 44: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Bronwyn wrote: "It turns out Eat, Pray, Love has been chosen for our next book club read, so I will be able to have my own opinion of it next month.

I have at last finished my book in this challenge [bookcover:Re..."

Well done Bronwyn!

message 45: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments I finished (2 days late) Dexter Is Delicious which I put down for this challenge as it has been sitting on my bookshelf since Christmas and it had 'delicious' in the title. However, I dont think cannibalism was quite in the scope of this challenge, but there you go. Despite this, I actually enjoyed the book - gave it 4 starts, though would have given it 4.5 if the option was there, it is quite humourous, though some of the content is a bit nauseating.

message 46: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) Dee-Ann wrote: "I finished (2 days late) Dexter Is Delicious which I put down for this challenge as it has been sitting on my bookshelf since Christmas and it had 'delicious' in the title. However,..."

I thought Dexter is Delicious was a return to form for Jeff Lindsay. I really enjoyed that book

message 47: by Dee-Ann (new)

Dee-Ann | 644 comments Knowledge Lost wrote: "Dee-Ann wrote: "I finished (2 days late) Dexter Is Delicious which I put down for this challenge as it has been sitting on my bookshelf since Christmas and it had 'delicious' in the ..."

It was the first one of his I have read and enjoyed it. I have watched and enjoyed some of the the tv series, but it is different, but both are worthy.

message 48: by Michael (new)

Michael (knowledgelost) Dee-Ann wrote: "Knowledge Lost wrote: "Dee-Ann wrote: "I finished (2 days late) Dexter Is Delicious which I put down for this challenge as it has been sitting on my bookshelf since Christmas and it ..."

I enjoyed book one, but only because I read it before I saw the show.