Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

Children's Books > Marc Brown "Arthur" series

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Has everyone read the "Arthur" series by Marc Brown? They were awesome when I was growing up and I still love them to this very day! My favorite books from the "Arthur" series were:

Arthur's Valentine
Arthur's Eyes
Arthur's Thanksgiving
Arthur's Teacher Trouble
Arthur's Underwear
Arthur's Halloween
Arthur and the True Francine
Arthur's April Fools

What did you like about the "Arthur" series and what are your favorite books from this series?

message 2: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments You talking about the anteater Arthur?

message 3: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Yes.

message 4: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Oh I remember those, I think my sister and I have havve a book or two of them, I know we have a DW one where she's at a weddign and wants to be a flower girl. I remember the show also

message 5: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Oh yeah! I remembered the DW books! I didn't read all the DW books since I was a huge fan of mainly the "Arthur" books, but I'll have to check out the DW series sometime! Did you like the TV series?

message 6: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments hahaha to my memory I think so, it's been a long time I'm 21

message 7: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Oh! You're two years younger from me! I'm 23! I occasionally watch the Arthur TV series recently, but I really miss the old episodes.

message 8: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments haha really?? Is it still on PBS, I'm the oldest out of the 5 grandchildren, the younger ones are 9, 3, and 1 they mioght think it's cute

message 9: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Yeah, it's still running on PBS, but all I see are the newer episodes so far. Yeah, I think the younger grandchildren might like this series!

message 10: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Haha they still make new episodes?!

message 11: by Ronyell (last edited Feb 25, 2011 01:52PM) (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Yep! I think Arthur is in it's 14th or 15th season now. It's been on for a long time.

message 12: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Not going to lie that is impressive! Maybe I'll try to put that on when I am babysitting them, they are pretty obessed with dora though

message 13: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Oh yeah! I remembered Dora the Explorer, although I never actually sat down and watched the show. Hasn't Dora been on for a long time too?

message 14: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Dora and Diego, yeah I feel like they have. I've watched them enough where they only watch that that if a moment comes up and clicks with one of their songs I start humming it luckly my friends already think I'm crazy they don't question

message 15: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Oh yeah and Sesame Street definitely has been around for a long time like I think it's been around for 40 years now. Now that's a long time! But I haven't seen Sesame Street since the 90s, so I'm not really sure what's going on. Have you seen Sesame Street recently?

message 16: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Haha probably 40 years my mom watched it also. I have not seen it lately but I've heard things that upsetting they are over thinking characters and changing them. like he's no longer the cookie monster because of obseity, oscar doesn't live in a garbaje can...

message 17: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Really?! I also heard about the rumor that Cookie Monster no longer eats cookies because people didn't want kids thinking that they can eat junk food all the time. Also, they keep on adding more new characters in the show and it's just starting to get really confusing now. I also heard that now everyone can see Snuffy, Big Bird's imaginary friend.

message 18: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Thats lame!! See people are over thinking the show! here is blue monster he eats cookies cookies start with the lettter C, its not complicated

message 19: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Exactly! I mean, it's not like kids are actually going to eat cookies like crazy because Cookie Monster does it. I'm pretty sure kids know that this is just a show and the TV series is not really saying that eating junk food is good.

message 20: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments They don't give kids enough credit. It's TV I'm sure kids understand that

message 21: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Yeah! Not all kids copy everything they see on TV! It's kind of ridiculous about the measures they take in just omitting the tiniest things from a show, even though most kids don't pay attention to stuff like that.

message 22: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments Its like also parents you can tell the kid no to cookies instead of blaming tv!!

message 23: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Exactly! It's the parents' responsibility to make sure their children don't do the wrong things, not the TV's responsibility!

message 24: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments TV is for relaxation not for babysitting

message 25: by Ronyell (last edited Feb 25, 2011 03:04PM) (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments It sure is! I don't know why some people don't realize that. LOL!!

message 26: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments haha who wants to take resposbility of their own actions?!

message 27: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Yeah!

message 28: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments It's so obxious

message 29: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Yeah, it really is sad how some parents don't want to take responsibility for their own child's actions, like an incident where a parent complained about one of the characters on "The Angry Beavers" saying "shut up" and it caused problems for the show. I was really upset about that because all the parent has to do is not let their child watch this show.

message 30: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments I barely noticed that they said shut up. I just dont' get it if you don't want to take responsiblity don't have them! My ssiters friends are awful, but the parents don't set rules and don't care what their kkids do. If you don't trust your kids or the bounders don't take it out on the show talk to the kid and actually set bounderies, or don't be suprised when you don't set rules young they are crazy teens

message 31: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Exactly! If some parents don't want to take care of their kids, then they don't need to have kids in the first place. It always the parents' responsibility to make sure their children don't get in trouble. Blaming everything on TV just shows how much they don't want to take responsibility for their own actions.

message 32: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments It's so annoying. It also fusterate me when people feel the need to blame anythign else but themselves. It's a huge personality trait that bothers me to no end.

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie Russell | 29 comments I agree I have four kids and I have tried to teach them just because it's on tv doesn't mean it's real.

message 34: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Exactly! Almost nothing on TV is real (well maybe except for the antique shows and the news) but if parents feel like the show is inappropriate for their kids, then they don't have to let their children watch it.

message 35: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments You really dont' see in the news people robbing bakeries for cookies

message 36: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Oh yeah, they mostly rob jewelries and other expensive items.

message 37: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 110 comments which you don't see in cartoons these days

message 38: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell (rabbitearsblog) | 95 comments Nope.