fiction files redux discussion

About Us > Dorka 11

Comments Showing 1-50 of 275 (275 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Any ideas? I think someone suggested east of the rockies for this year.

message 2: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Jonathan | 609 comments Mod
. .. i remember some talk of minnesota . . .? . .. i'm game whatever we decide . . . i'm gonna' need some serious help organizing this year because of my schedule this spring . . .

message 3: by Martyn (new)

Martyn | 299 comments I seriously doubt I'll make it this year but will be back in 2012. As much as I'd love to, I've got other fish and vacations to fry. Plus what the hell's in Minnesota? Is that somebody bitching about going all the way to the West Coast? I've done a 13,000 mile round trip twice! It's not nice, but it's fucking worth it!

message 4: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
We talked about Minnesota for a change of pace, because it's a main airport hub in the US, so it might be a little cheaper for folks to fly in to, and we were thinking maybe a few folks who haven't come before might be able to make it. Plus, there are a bajillion lakes there, I've never been there and would like to go, and Lauren Evison would like a little change of scenery. :)

But if everyone but me & Patrick want to go back to Washington, I'll certainly go to Washington.

message 5: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (last edited Feb 26, 2011 08:52AM) (new)

Shel (shelbybower) | 946 comments Mod
Minnesota is great in the summer. My best friend from college lives there and it's apparently quite the outdoorsy place with a ton of lakes and watersports ... (I usually visit her in the cities)

She could probably help us find some locations, or at least provide colorful commentary on what we do find.

I could help with some of the organizing this year...

message 6: by Neil (new)

Neil McCrea | 204 comments Things are a little better for me this year than in the last few, but all that really means is that I can confirm sometime sooner than the last possible second as I did on 3 of the 4 previous Dorks.

If it takes place in WA again, I can and will be there. I dig Minnesota, and it may be possible for me to go. If Michigan or the NY/north NJ areas are options, Chris has family she's supposed to visit, and we could save money by folding her trip and the Dork into one. I managed to dodge the bankruptcy that was looming, but I'm not flying particularly high.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

That would be great Shel. See if your friend has any recommendations. I'm checking out the state web site for possibilties.

message 8: by Brock (new)

Brock (singslikehell) Here is a listing for group camping in Minnesota at the State Parks

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_park...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

thanks Brock! so if 20 people go it will be 105 per person for the week. Maybe we should get a head count. yays, nays, only if a certain week etc. I'm a yay solo.

message 10: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

What week did we want to do it this year? Sorry if I'm behind on that one...

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

we havent picked a week yet. If anyone has vacation week restrictions they should say so now while we are still looking at accomodations.we need a preliminary head count first. so please note if you're bringing someone with you.

message 12: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Ok, so let's pick a week.

How about a Saturday to Saturday in July?

Saturday the 16th to Saturday the 23rd?

Or the 23rd through the 30th?

Or Saturday July 30 to Saturday August 6?

My personal vote is 16th to 23rd, right smack in the middle.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 05, 2011 01:02PM) (new)

this one looks good south of St. Paul

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_park...

message 14: by João (new)

João Camilo (jcamilo) | 259 comments Well, popping to behead my head for the headcount, since you people insist in those cold ugly places, where didnt live Guimarães Rosa :D

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Jcamilo wrote: "Well, popping to behead my head for the headcount, since you people insist in those cold ugly places, where didnt live Guimarães Rosa :D"

Jeeze is that a yes or a no?

message 16: by João (new)

João Camilo (jcamilo) | 259 comments The first letter of the name was said...

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

ok then, consider yourself counted!

message 18: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

Brian (banoo) | 346 comments Mod
Too early for me to be conclusive. But 17 July is my daughter's birthday, and that, I cannot miss.

message 19: by Pavel (new)

Pavel Kravchenko (pavelk) | 96 comments Minnesota is easy, so I would try to make it. Would be more like for a weekend than for a week for me though.

message 20: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Ben Loory | 241 comments Mod
my only problem ("problem") is that my book is coming out july 26 and there's a lot of stuff sort of swirling around that... it's really too early for me to tell... my guess is that august would be better for me but i don't really know yet. but i definitely want to come, of course.

message 21: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (last edited Mar 05, 2011 06:49PM) (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 886 comments Mod
To be absolutely honest, I'm not sure I'm going to make it this year. I'm hoping this is the year Phillip and I take a looooong trip somewhere just the two of us. I love you all very much and I'm sure I'll be kicking myself when you are all having a lovely time, but for now I have to opt out.

Not that I don't reserve the right to change my mind, just don't count on me for planning...

:)

message 22: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
i'll be there, whenever is fine. i do prefer august, but it's not a deal breaker.

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary Guterson | 15 comments hmmm. i would just love to come. But i doubt i'll make minnesota. If it was i Washington state again, i'd work very hard to make it. Obviously, my presence isn't a deal breaker! but i'm responding because i was asked to respond.
Kerry, i LOVED meeting you!

message 24: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Maureen (modusa) | 683 comments Mod
hi hi! well, i'm not sure if i'll make it yet but if i can, the best week in august for me would be the first week, because they've blacked out the other three at this new job. and the first two weeks of september. boo.

whether or not i'll be able to fit in with your plans, i'm really glad you guys are planning something -- i was worried it wouldn't happen this year! :)

message 25: by Hugh, aka Hugh the Moderator (new)

Hugh | 271 comments Mod
I'd put my confidence at 63.5% for a Minnesota Dorka in late July, early August. (thanks for reaching out Margaret, things have been a bit crazy of late... hence my hedging. (Oh, what about during the Pleides showers in August, I should check dates on that.))

message 26: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

I'll be there... if the event in Minnesota this year, I'll drive up with my big-ass telescope...

Skyquest XT8 Dobsonian Reflector Telescope with parabolic primary optics which sounds suspiciously like a Pu-36 explosive space modulator but I promise, is not.

message 27: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Sounds like a majority of yay's so far are for:

Saturday July the 23rd through the 30th

or Saturday July 30 to Saturday August 6.

Maybe a final vote... then we can start planning other details, like the where's.

message 28: by Patrick, The Special School Bus Rider (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 269 comments Mod
August would be better for most I think...I am not sure if I can go or not. I need to check up on my savings.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

lets just go with July 30 thru August 6. Brock can you check to see if any of those places has an opening that week? we have 20 plus people. also how much we have to put down to reserve it. Thanks

message 30: by Elizabeth, bubbles (new)

Elizabeth (RedBrick) | 221 comments Mod
My husband's uncle has a resort in MN (near Fargo, not Minneapolis) which is where I am supposed to be that week.

Maybe this will work out in my favor. Could I drive over on Wednesday night and stay through the end? If the place is a weekly rental, I could pay my fair share despite the late arrival.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

partial weeks are definitely ok. hope to meet you there!

message 32: by Patrick, photographic eye (new)

Patrick | 133 comments Mod
hi. sorry for jumping in late... 1st week of August sounds better for me as well.

message 33: by Patrick, photographic eye (new)

Patrick | 133 comments Mod
also, if interested, i have a coworker, originally from minnesota, who went back last summer for a vacation with some friends ...and she said they found an old farmhouse (not far from minneapolis) that they rented out for about 4-5 days. she said it wasn't huge but was secluded and they had the whole place to themselves.

i can try to dig up more info if we're curious??

message 34: by [deleted user] (last edited Mar 07, 2011 07:03AM) (new)

check it out for us Patrick.how many does it sleep, how much per night, restrictions etc. is it near some water? can we have a fire? is it available that week?

message 35: by Kerry, flame-haired janeite (new)

Kerry Dunn (kerryanndunn) | 886 comments Mod
Mary wrote: "hmmm. i would just love to come. But i doubt i'll make minnesota. If it was i Washington state again, i'd work very hard to make it. Obviously, my presence isn't a deal breaker! but i'm responding because i was asked to respond.
Kerry, i LOVED meeting you!"

I loved meeting you too Mary!

message 36: by Jonathan, the skipper (new)

Jonathan | 609 comments Mod
Margaret wrote: "check it out for us Patrick.how many does it sleep, how much per night, restrictions etc. is it near some water? can we have a fire? is it available that week?"

. . .you go, marge in charge!

message 37: by Patrick, The Special School Bus Rider (new)

Patrick (horrorshow) | 269 comments Mod
Is this a way for you to ordain us into unwitting victims of Prescription for Love Cult? If so, put me in charge of injecting lsd in cupcakes for the next wave. :)

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

lol!

message 39: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (last edited Mar 10, 2011 02:33PM) (new)

I am looking at places that sleep 18 or more, with some kind of outdoor activities readily available, on the water, somewhat near the airport.

I'm not sure who to call about finding a place where we could get a string of cabins next to one another which may or may not be a simpler way to go, sorta like Fort Flagler.

Just as a potential alternative that could be fun... I do have a friend of a friend who actually owns a summer camp he's renovated and rents out. It used to be for kids in Wisconsin, but it's in Wisconsin... my friend is actually having his wedding there next year.

I am also thinking I will actually venture into a Costco for the first time since my kids were in diapers to get a crate of bug spray.
-----------
This one is a really nice house, sleeps 21(with a bit of bunking up) and is about $3K total ($150 each). 2 hour drive from the airport.
http://www.vacationhomerentals.com/va...

This one has ITS OWN POOL. Sleeps 22, 25 minutes from airport. More pricy at $4K/$200 each... but it has ITS OWN POOL.
http://www.vacationhomerentals.com/va...

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

the first one looks good. Is it available?

message 41: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
I agree, that first one looks great, and it has foosball!

message 42: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

i emailed them earlier today with dates, number of people and 1 kid (Owen) ... so I should hear back soon.

message 43: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

OK --- the first house is available, everyone.

I assume I will have to put money down to reserve so I need to know if this is final-final and if everyone is good with the location and space before I do...

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

it's ok with me. thanks Shel!

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

is there a hotel nearby in case we go over 21?

message 46: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

The description says (and I can't help but smile when I see that Lake Wobegon is nearby)...so I think, yes.

The Grey Eagle area has over 20 lakes. This small town is 5 minutes away and has restaurants, hardware store, post office, library, gas stations and churches.

Sauk Centre is just 15 minutes away offering shopping, raceway, theater, fine dining and parks.

Alexandria extends it's hospitality for shopping, dining, a water park, winery and it is just 35 minutes from the Retreat.

Melrose is a quaint town 12 minutes from the retreat and has a spa, eclectic shops, dining and fitness centers.

Close to the Lake Wobegon and Soo Line Trail - it is central to many outdoor activities!

message 47: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Ben Loory | 241 comments Mod
i don't think i get a vote because it seems unlikely i will make it (especially if it's july 30 - aug 6)... but that first one does look nice. and yeah, foosball is always good.

message 48: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Ben wrote: "i don't think i get a vote because it seems unlikely i will make it (especially if it's july 30 - aug 6)... but that first one does look nice. and yeah, foosball is always good."

of course you get to vote. and if i'm reading correctly, your vote is for a different week, but you forgot to mention which week would be better.

message 49: by Les (new)

Les  (lthmpls) | 116 comments I have been a bit of a luddite and away from the board and the internet generally, but things have taken off. You are all impressive. Given that I live in Minneapolis, I would disown myself if I did not commit to being involved for at least part of the week. Please count me in, if still possible.

message 50: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Sorry guys --I'm not trying to pressure anyone -- we have about 20 people confirmed for at least some part of the week, we agree on the week we are doing it and people like the place?

I have to put down a deposit to hold the place... and I don't want to make any unilateral decisions.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6