Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Westlake's Dortmunder series

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gomez (new)

Gomez Addams | 10 comments Thought it'd be better to ask first before touching anything on an already estabilished series, just a couple of questions and notes...

http://www.goodreads.com/series/52540...

1. I think the series should be numbered: nothing wrong with the current, chronological listing, but people bumping into any one of these books might find it useful to know which place it's got in the series without having to check the whole listing.

2. "Thieves' Dozen" is not, technically, a "primary work", being a short stories collection... that's alright with me, though, I find it primary enough, since all Dortmunder shorts (or nearly...) are in there, and they're part of the series, which brings me to the next...

3. The only (to the best of my knowledge) part of the series currently not included is the novella "Walking Around Money", from 2005, which is published in Ed McBain's compilation series "Transgressions": is there any way to list this one within the series? I doubt it, but I had to ask...

message 2: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments Gomez wrote: "Thought it'd be better to ask first before touching anything on an already estabilished series, just a couple of questions and notes...

http://www.goodreads.com/series/52540...

1. I t..."

I haven't read the series in question, but if the series has a definite order, then I think it should be numbered.

The primary work boxes were added after that series was created, please go ahead and uncheck the box for that book.

Yes you can add a book even though only part of it belongs in the series, just uncheck the primary work box.

message 3: by Gomez (new)

Gomez Addams | 10 comments Deborah wrote: "Yes you can add a book even though only part of it belongs in the series, just uncheck the primary work box."

That's good to know, but in this specific case it proves to be rather difficult, at least for me, that's a bit of a nest of vipers...

"Transgressions" is a series itself, reasonably, being originally published in several volumes, only, various publishers around the world apparently took some sadistic pleasure in reshuffling the 10 stories it comprises in the most various choice of selection and sequence...

Here's some examples for "Volume #3", my own (British) copy...

Transgressions Volume 3 novellas 1, 2, 5 and 8

... and 2 more, (apparently) of the same...

Transgressions Vol. 3 novellas 1, 4 and 6
Transgressions Tome 3, 2 novellas 7 and 8

Which one (or more?) to pick for the Dortmunder reference?

As Charlie Brown would put it... AAAAAUGH! :)

You ever get the feeling that publishers are all part of a worldwide conspiracy to drive poor Librarians insane? :)

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 22696 comments Often, LOL.

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 392 comments I think I would list them all, since the point should be to help people find and identify all parts of the series. Just make it clear that it is multiple references to one novella. You can explain it in the description.