Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Bread and bagels - if you've got the dough

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't think we've ever discussed this one.
1)What's your favorite bagel? Favorite bagel place?
2)What kind of bread do you normally buy?

For me:
1)Pumpernickel from H & H. Other pumpernickels will do in a pinch. No raisins. I don't abide sweet bagels in general.

2)We have a local bakery that has a really good sunflower flax bread. It's all seedy and dense and delicious. If I have to buy supermarket bread, I usually grab some kind of whole wheat, and the occasional seeded rye.

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments This seems like a familiar topic to me. But we do not have any great bagel places around here. Only chain stores of which Einstein is probably the best.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments This seems like a familiar topic to me. But we do not have any great bagel places around here. Only chain stores of which Einstein is probably the best.

message 4: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments hm, that post sounds familiar.

message 5: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments bagels - einstein is good. i used to love "my favorite muffin & bagel shop" til it closed down here. now i mostly have to go with panara. here in indiana we don't do bagels that much. we prefer deep fried donuts with creme in, on and around them.

as for bread i am a aunt milly oat nut guy mostly

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I think we did have a bagel discussion once when I begged Gus to drop H & H bagels on my house as he flew from NY back to NC.

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Never really tried a bagel. Guess never had the urge to do so. What are acceptable times for a bagel? Is it something you only do for Breakfest?

message 8: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments Sarah Pi wrote: "I think we did have a bagel discussion once when I begged Gus to drop H & H bagels on my house as he flew from NY back to NC."

That sounds familiar.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Lyzzibug wrote: "Never really tried a bagel. Guess never had the urge to do so. What are acceptable times for a bagel? Is it something you only do for Breakfest?"

I was going to gasp in horror, but then I was thinking that it would be even worse if you tried one of the bagels available to you (likely Lender's, in the freezer) and concluded that bagels were nothing special.

Lyzzibug, there are a lot of places that labor under the misapprehension that a bagel is just a roll with a hole punched in it. A proper bagel is boiled and dense and maybe not entirely symmetrical and made with love and New York tap water.

message 10: by Brittomart (new)

Brittomart Cinnamon sugar bagel with honey butter cream cheese!

Lyzzibug ~Still Breathing~ (lyzzibug) | 708 comments Hummm...New York is a bit far for me, but I'll try to find something suitable around here.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Lyzzibug wrote: "Hummm...New York is a bit far for me, but I'll try to find something suitable around here."

Austin's your best bet. I lived in San Antonio and don't remember any good bagels there.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Zu came up with the following: toasted bagel with cream cheese, egg, pesto, and real or veggie sausage. It sounds like overkill but it's really friggin' good.

message 14: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Sarah, you should have reminded me to bring some H&H bagels when I visited Baltimore. Next time...

Personally, I like plain bagels when I'm having cream cheese or salmon, but more often eat sesame or onion, both of which are good with nothing else on them.

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Whitefish can be nice on a bagel too.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jonathan wrote: "Sarah, you should have reminded me to bring some H&H bagels when I visited Baltimore. Next time..."

Gasp! I should have! I do still have one left in the freezer from November, but Ive been saving it. Mind you, a trip to New York might be in order soon now that there's a new production of Arcadia. I love that play.

message 17: by Michele (new)

Michele bookloverforever (lovebooks14) | 1970 comments One of the things I miss most about San Francisco was the different kinds of bread available from Tassalajara bakery. I used to shop at Whole Foods, Rainbow Health Foods and Tower Market. Just smelling the bread as it was delivered was an experience. There is no Whole Foods in my area.

message 18: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24360 comments Mod
I much prefer savory over sweet bagels. I don't buy them that often, and there isn't a great bagel place near me. There used to be an Einstein's and I would get a bagel with cream cheese and sprouts and cucumbers, which was really good, but Einstein's disappeared. Fuckers. I'll get sesame or onion, usually, and just eat it toasted with butter. I don't even bother with cream cheese.

So if I can't eat the bagels right away, should I be freezing them? Then thawing them in the refridgerator? Because I bought some, they sat in a bag on the counter for 4 days, and were rock hard, so I softened them up in the microwave, 20 seconds each side, which made them soft enough to cut, but then once they were toasted they were WAY too chewy, the way bread gets in the microwave. I thought I was going to pull a tooth out.

We used to eat Lenders growing up and there are worse things.

Bread, I hardly ever buy. If I do buy it, it has to be full of whole grains.

message 19: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 4034 comments I love a sesame bagel with scallion cream cheese when I'm ordering from a bagel shop. My mom used to live on the Jersey Shore (HA!) so I could get great New York Bagels there. But then she moved. If I'm buying and serving them at home I do sesame or plain bagel with Philadelphia cream cheese (in block form only!!!) with sliced green olives on top.

message 20: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I live in Wisconsin. You would most likely disdain our bagels.

message 21: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I like savory bagels most of the time--garlic, onion, asiago, sunflower. There's a local bakery called Great Lakes Bakery, which is my first choice for bagels. Panera's so-called bagels are just fancy bread. As for bread, if I make it, I make dill bread with fresh dill, and if I buy it it's either roasted garlic or sourdough.

message 22: by Aynge (last edited Feb 25, 2011 04:27PM) (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments At home, I love Lender's onion bagels.

My favorite bagel place is Grounds. They make this awesome whipped strawberry cream cheese that is heavenly. I'm glad they're across the city because otherwise I'd be there every day.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael There are no good bagels here. The best we have are either Einstein or Brueggers. Costco's bagels are acceptable but they're a little too much like a big bread bun. I like plain or onion and cream cheese and lox is always good on them. For bread, I like the Boudin sourdough bread at Costco or the sourdough bread at Panera.

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
I like an Asiago cheese bagel with lox cream cheese, red onion, tomato, and sprouts.

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael RandomAnthony wrote: "I live in Wisconsin. You would most likely disdain our bagels."

I'm not sure how close you are to Milwaukee, but at least they have (or had) a good deli (Benjamin's). Here we get bland versions of real delis.

message 26: by Michael (new)

Michael Lobstergirl wrote: "We used to eat Lenders growing up and there are worse things."

Not much though!

message 27: by Michael (new)

Michael Is it difficult? It looks difficult on paper.

message 28: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Yeast can be tricky, Michael, but other than that, no, it's not difficult, and like any skill, the more you do it, the better you are at it!

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1107 comments ~blinks~

I can't remember the last time I had a bagel. I know I've never eaten pretzels. Awkward.

message 30: by ms.petra (new)

ms.petra (mspetra) I have several great Jewish deli's near where I work and there is nothing like a fresh, warm bagel that melts the cream cheese! I also like plain bagels with peanut butter and jelly. I love my carbs and they love me right back, so the bagels are a guilty pleasure. As far as bread goes, only whole wheat for sliced packaged bread. I love a good crusty rosemary loaf made by Udi's. Actually, all of Udi's breads are fantastic!

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael Jammies wrote: "Yeast can be tricky, Michael, but other than that, no, it's not difficult, and like any skill, the more you do it, the better you are at it!"

So maybe I should just get all the stuff and practice?

message 32: by Lori (last edited Feb 26, 2011 01:06PM) (new)

Lori Oh dear me. I am a bagel snob. Jewish? Check. From NY? Check. I have never had a good bagel outside of NY. They are supposed to crispy yet doughy at the same time. I'm also a purist: garlic, onion, or poppy seed. Grew up with lox and bagels and whitefish. There's a place here that gets it all from NY that we've found after being miserable for years! I think it's the water in NY, very hard. Same with pizza dough. Now I admit I haven't had bagels in that many other places, so some might be just as good. But if RA had said he has great bagels in Wisconsin, oh how I would have laughed!

Bagels are good for any time of the day. I like mine with muenster and whitefish, oh and some red onion. Heaven.

message 33: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11694 comments No bagels around here. Well, there's Costco, but does that really count?

message 34: by Lori (new)

Lori No way! :D

message 35: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Michael wrote: "Jammies wrote: "Yeast can be tricky, Michael, but other than that, no, it's not difficult, and like any skill, the more you do it, the better you are at it!"

So maybe I should just get all the stuff and practice?"

Yes!

Lori, I adore your bagel snobbiness, but I will point out that we have a LARGE Jewish population here in NE Ohio, and many good bagel places.

message 36: by Lori (new)

Lori Well, then let me ask you this: have you had anything to compare them to, like a NY one? heehee

message 37: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments Lori wrote: "Oh dear me. I am a bagel snob. Jewish? Check. From NY? Check. I have never had a good bagel outside of NY. They are supposed to crispy yet doughy at the same time. I'm also a purist: garlic, onion,..."

I've never had a crispy one. Are there any brands that do them justice?

message 38: by Jammies (new)

Jammies Lori wrote: "Well, then let me ask you this: have you had anything to compare them to, like a NY one? heehee"

http://www.yelp.com/biz/bialys-bagels...

Brat. ;)

message 39: by Lori (new)

Lori Jammies wrote:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bialys-bagels...

Brat. ;)"

OMG! They have bialies? Really? OMG I'd have a bialy over a bagel anytime!

message 40: by Michael (new)

Michael Anyone ever had H&H bagels and are they as good as the hype?

message 41: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments BunWat wrote: "They aren't crispy until you toast them, Rebecca."

Oh, Okay! Thanks.

message 42: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17346 comments Mod
Yes, didn't Lori just say she loves H&H? Someone did.

message 43: by Michael (new)

Michael Yes, Sarah mentioned them.

message 44: by Jonathan (last edited Feb 27, 2011 03:47PM) (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments H&H is just a couple blocks away from me, so it's my local bagel place. Good stuff--a classic New York bagel--although there are other places in the city that are equally good.

Somebody else brought up the question of whether bagels should be "crispy" outside. Generally bagels do (or should) have a thin firm crust, even before you toast them at home. Although they are cooked primarily by boiling in a vat, they are then baked under high heat in a contraption that looks like a commercial broiler.

The boil:

The bake:

(Both photos are from H&H Bagels, by the way.)

message 45: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I want some of those, Jonathan.

message 46: by Michael (new)

Michael I just checked their website and $14/dozen is reasonable, but $66.40 for next day delivery is a little steep.

message 47: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments That would be a very expensive bagel.

message 48: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It's only money.

message 49: by Michael (new)

Michael Can a price be put on good food?

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Michael wrote: "Anyone ever had H&H bagels and are they as good as the hype?"

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. The funny thing is that when I visit my New York friends, they always say "Oh, we have a place around the corner that's just as good as H & H." So I dutifully try their local place's bagels, which are better than any other place's bagels, but they're still not H & H. Then I slip off and buy my giant bag of H & H.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.