Horror Leisure Book Club! discussion

Types of Horror > Favorite horror?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

Dylan (dmfriend26) | 231 comments Mod
What's your favorite type of horror? Mine's supernatural fiction, vampires, creatures, and ghosts. That kind of thing. What about you?

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I like all of the above, but also enjoy the kind of horror that deals with the dark side of human nature.

Elizabeth Massie is one such writer who comes to mind.

message 3: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) Vampires mostly but I also love anything supernatural. Anything that makes the hair on your neck stand up.

message 4: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

That's a cool story Rob. I'll have to look into reading some of her books. What would you recomend of hers?

message 5: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

Thanks I'll look into getting those. :D

message 6: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

I think I'll start with Sineater that appeals to me. :D

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy I enjoyed Wire Mesh Mothers and Shadow Dreams as well. Sineater is her first novel and won the Bram Stoker award. I haven't read it yet.

Welcome Back to the Night sounds like the sort of dysfunctional family horror story that could be very scary.

Which was your favorite, Rob?

I wonder why Massie seems to have gone from horror to YA historical novels.

message 8: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

That's cool. Too bad she's starting to stop writing horror. Kinda like Anne Rice. But she may come back to it. Anne Rice is but only once. There's a new vampire chronicles coming out (not any time soon though). She only just announced it. She say's it will be her last vampire novel though. I'd love to read Mire Mesh Mothers as well. I'll probably be able to find that easier. :D

message 9: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) I love Anne Rice, and Stephen King, I also like books like the Exorcist or demonic themes, I'm not IN TO anything like that I just like getting scared. I also like some of Dean Koontz's books with unnatural creatures or beings. Jeff Long and Tom Waltz have good books too. I haven't gotten a chance to read many of the authors you guys have named but I'm excited to start them :)

message 10: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

Cool, would you recomend The Watchers by Dean Koontz? I was kinda wanting to read something of his. Any suggestion? :D

message 11: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) Yeah that one is pretty good, it's worth reading in my opinion.

message 12: by Donald (new)

Donald (donroc) | 4 comments I have been a fan of Lovecraft and Derleth since my early teens -- back in the mid-1940s.

message 13: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) Do you have recommendations of books from those authors?

message 14: by alicia (new)

alicia grant (shesha34) I love anything supernatrual,ghosts,witches,vampire's,werewolves.I also love the dark side of humans like Jack Ketchum writes alot of.I would love to read a good scary occult story.I am going to have to check out Massie.

message 15: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) Actually the Watchers isn't really scary as it is just creepy.

message 16: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

O.k. what about Tick Tock is that scary?

message 17: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) Surprisingly I haven't read that one yet... whoever reads it first will have to let the other one know if it's any good lol :)_

message 18: by Jason (last edited Aug 18, 2008 01:49PM) (new)

Jason | 65 comments Ghost stories and supernatural/psychological horror.

message 19: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

If you like ghost stories I have two recomendations for you Jasonmech, The Taken by Sarah Pinborough and Ghost Story by Peter Straub. Both super creepy books.

message 20: by William (new)

William (acknud) I like a good gory vampire story or a slasher story.

message 21: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) So you're more for the supernatural things? Usually it seems like ghost and witches and werewolves all come out in the Autumn lol (close to Halloween you know)

message 22: by Nancy (new)

Nancy James, you may like this short story:

The Repulsion, by Tim Lebbon

It deals more with human emotions and interactions rather than "buckets of blood". It is not Lebbon's best writing, but I really enjoyed the foreign setting and the eerie descriptions of the winding streets, darkened alleyways and ancient stairways.

message 23: by Mrsbear (new)

Mrsbear (msbear21) Supernatural, ghosts, paranormal and anything really, really scare the sh** out of you horror, which IMO is hard to find anymore. I've heard that Song of Kali fits that catagory but I can't seem to get my hands on it.

message 24: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

I know I can't find Song of Kali anywhere. You may want to try Powells.com or amazon. Powells is much better though. :D

message 25: by Mrsbear (new)

Mrsbear (msbear21) Have you read it Rob? Is it everything they say it is? I'm trying to track it down in my library, they are searching all over jersey for it. If all else fails I will buy it! LOL

message 26: by William (new)

William (acknud) I read Song of Kali last week and I did not find it that scary. Everyone is different. I got rid of my copy on paperbackswap.com.

message 27: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) Who's the author?

message 28: by William (new)

William (acknud) Dan Simmons

message 29: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (aesquibel25) Thanx!

message 30: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

Have you read any other dan simmons books? Is The Terror any good? If you've read it. That's the only dan simmons I found at Hastings. That and something about a haunted house or something, I'll look it up.

message 31: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (trevoroakley) Anyone read Dan Simmons' A Winter Haunting? I too am interested in reading his other horror books, but am looking for something a bit shorter than Carrion Comfort of The Terror.

message 32: by Mrsbear (new)

Mrsbear (msbear21) I liked The Terror but I agree, it was not really horror as much as a good story. My favorite by Dan Simmons was Summer of Night. Winter Haunting is also good, creepy reading.

message 33: by Sidney (last edited Sep 25, 2008 02:44PM) (new)

Sidney | 2 comments Hi Everyone - I loved your suggestions. I have to say the thing that I enjoy reading about most, especially in the horror realm, are books about the paranormal...we all have such a fasination with the unknown. And I love the idea that something in a book could actually happen, whether it be a ghost, Vampire or zombie!

I will always have a warm fuzzy spot in my heart for everyones favorite prom date "CARRIE".

For this book to be King's first published novel of merit, it was really so great, so real. I am a writer, and every once in a while I will admit to reading the prom sequence...his wording was just so eloquent. For a man, he really got into the mind of a teased, sad, frightened teenage girl, so well. I will always be thankful his wife Tabatha saved that manuscript from the trash.

Sidney Fox

message 34: by Ravenskya (new)

Ravenskya  (ravenskya) To answer the Dan Simmons Question, Summer of Night comes before Winter Haunting, then the third in the series is Children of Night (I think that' what it was called)

I LOVED the series... I didn't get night mares, but I DID find myself very worried about the characters, which is about as scared as any book can make me anymore

My favs are ghost stories... but it's been a long time since I've read a good one.

message 35: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

Mabey you could try reading Ghost Story by Peter Straub. Or Heart Shaped Box.

message 36: by Dylan, The bloodsucking moderator (new)

I have that one Kathy, is it really that good? Another good werewolf book is The Wolf's Hour by Robert Mccammon.

message 37: by Fil (new)

Fil (filsilva) | 4 comments It took me awhile to get into Heart Shaped Box but it was a fun read.

message 38: by Brett (new)

Brett (battlinjack) | 75 comments Absolutely! t was a slow start for me as well, but suddenly I couldn't put it down. I did end up reading it in one sitting and was hoping for more just like it when I finished.

message 39: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda (sanddanz) Pretty much anything erotic is my favorite kind of horror, but I also am a fan of vampire stories.

I saw mention of RAVENOUS by Ray Garton and HEART-SHAPED BOX by Joe Hill. Both are excellent reads!

message 40: by A.R. (new)

A.R. (arbraun) | 117 comments Anything original or that hasn't been done to death.

message 41: by Mike (new)

Mike | 3 comments I don't find too many, but I like demons vs. "regular people"

message 42: by Jared (new)

Jared | 4 comments hey everyone how many Richard Laymon fans do we have here??

message 43: by Jared (new)

Jared | 4 comments sorry new to this group really new to Goodreads.