Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Sookie Stackhouse fan looking for new series

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Willis (ashleylynnwillis) | 22 comments I love the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. Well, all but the last book. Anyway, do you all have recommendations for another author or series that is similar to that one? I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy and need an urban fantasy fix but I'm not sure where to start. All suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

message 2: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) | 697 comments Some great urban fantasy series you might want to try:

Fever series by Karen Marie Moning - Darkfever
Kate Daniel series by Ilona Andrews - Magic Bites
Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost - Halfway to the Grave
Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh - Angels' Blood
Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs - Moon Called

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Willis (ashleylynnwillis) | 22 comments Thanks Nita! And especially thanks for the links. I'll check them all out!

message 4: by Tonia (new)

Tonia | 9 comments One I would definately recommend checking out is J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series. AWESOME! Another one I liked is Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series! Both series are on my favorites list! :0)

message 5: by Ashley (last edited Feb 25, 2011 08:05AM) (new)

Ashley Willis (ashleylynnwillis) | 22 comments Thanks Tonia! I have the entire Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I loved, loved, loved Lover Awakened, but the rest I was tepid on. I think it's because I like my romance a little more subtle. But that's not a knock on J.R. Ward. She's an amazing writer.

I've had enough of PNR and want some Urban Fantasy. :) I have tried Laurell K. Hamilton and loved her first book in the Anita Blake series, but the second book had violence against children. As a mother to a three and four year old, I couldn't stomach that, so I stopped reading her.

I’m about to get a Kinde for my b-day and want some books to download to get me started. I've heard good things about the Immortals After Dark so I'll take a look at it.

message 6: by Kathyjacks (new)

Kathyjacks Ashley wrote: "Thanks Tonia! I have the entire Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I loved, loved, loved Lover Awakened, but the rest I was tepid on. I think it's because I like my romance a little more subtle. ..."

I just finished the Night Huntress Series by Jeaniene Frost. It has been the best series I've read yet, especially if you liked the romance from the Sookie books. Here's the first book........
Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Willis (ashleylynnwillis) | 22 comments Kathy wrote: "Ashley wrote: "Thanks Tonia! I have the entire Black Dagger Brotherhood series. I loved, loved, loved Lover Awakened, but the rest I was tepid on. I think it's because I like my romance a little..."

Oh, that looks like a really good one. It's on my list to buy. Thanks!

message 8: by Daffodil (new)

Daffodil (daffodil--ripcranberry) | 96 comments I definitely second all of Nita's suggestions as well as adding a few more of my favorite UF series:

Walker Papers by C.E. Murphy
Allie Beckstrom by Devon Monk
Katherine "Kitty" Katt by Gini Koch
Jane Yellowrock by Faith Hunter
Jane True by Nicole Peeler
Aisling Grey, Guardian by Katie MacAlister
Elemental Assassin by Jennifer Estep
Parasol Protectorate by Gail Carriger

On the PNR side:
Psy-Changeling by Nalini Singh (don't let the cover art fool you -- great series with wonderful world building)

Urban Shaman (Walker Papers, #1) by C.E. Murphy Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk Touched by an Alien (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #1) by Gini Koch Tempest Rising (Jane True, #1) by Nicole Peeler You Slay Me (Aisling Grey Guardian, #1) by Katie MacAlister Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changeling #1) by Nalini Singh

message 9: by Lauren (last edited Feb 25, 2011 08:44AM) (new)

Lauren | 208 comments I love Immortals after dark!
how about dark hunters by Sherrilyn Kenyon
demonica series by Larissa Ione
a fun and sexy one that I have been reading is Gloriana St. Clair series by Gerry Bartlett I have fallen in love with this series.

message 10: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Willis (ashleylynnwillis) | 22 comments This is so much fun! Thanks Lauren and Daffodil. I didn't expect so many wonderful suggestions. I'm gonna have my kindle filled up in no time, but keep them coming if you have more suggestions!

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 208 comments Ahsley check out some of my shelves for ideas if you want. I have tons of books.

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Willis (ashleylynnwillis) | 22 comments Lauren wrote: "Ahsley check out some of my shelves for ideas if you want. I have tons of books."

I'm on it! Goodreads is new to me so all these features are fun to explore. :)

message 13: by Lora (new)

Lora Savchova (luxuria) | 313 comments I recommend all of Richelle Mead's series - VA, Dark Swan and Succubus series. Just one word - AMAZING!
Also, you should absolutely necessary read the rest of Charlaine's series
Grave Sight (Harper Connelly, #1) by Charlaine Harris Grave Surprise (Harper Connelly, #2) by Charlaine Harris An Ice Cold Grave (Harper Connelly, #3) by Charlaine Harris Grave Secret (Harper Connelly, #4) by Charlaine Harris

Shakespeare's Landlord (A Lily Bard Mystery, #1) by Charlaine Harris Shakespeare's Champion  by Charlaine Harris Shakespeare's Christmas (Lily Bard Mystery, #3) by Charlaine Harris Shakespeare's Trollop (A Lily Bard Mystery, #4) by Charlaine Harris Shakespeare's Counselor (A Lily Bard Mystery, #5) by Charlaine Harris

Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1) by Charlaine Harris A Bone to Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2) by Charlaine Harris Three Bedrooms, One Corpse (Aurora Teagarden, #3) by Charlaine Harris The Julius House (Aurora Teagarden, #4) by Charlaine Harris Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5) by Charlaine Harris A Fool and His Honey (Aurora Teagarden, #6) by Charlaine Harris Last Scene Alive (Aurora Teagarden, #7) by Charlaine Harris Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8) by Charlaine Harris

message 14: by Kerry (new)

Kerry  sullivan (kerry1912) I recommend Keri arthur

Riley Jenson Guardian

1. Full Moon Rising (2006)
2. Kissing Sin (2007)
3. Tempting Evil (2007)
4. Dangerous Games (2007)
5. Embraced By Darkness (2007)
6. The Darkest Kiss (2008)
7. Deadly Desire (2009)
8. Bound to Shadows (2009)
9. Moon Sworn (2010)

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Willis (ashleylynnwillis) | 22 comments Thanks Becky, Lora and Kerry! I'll add those books to my list to sample. And thanks Lora for mentioning the rest of Charlaine's books. For some reason, I get into a series and forget an author had a life and books before the series came out. Good suggestion.

message 16: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 1 comments I just finished a great series by Richelle Mead. The first book is called "Succubus Blues", about a reluctant succubus named Georgia Kincaid.

I started this book last week and have made my way through all five, I was that hooked. Give it a shot!

message 17: by Ashley (last edited Feb 26, 2011 01:02PM) (new)

Ashley Willis (ashleylynnwillis) | 22 comments You read five books in a week? Sheesh they must have been good. :) I'll check it out ASAP. Thanks for the suggestion!

message 18: by Karma (new)

Karma Nita wrote: "Some great urban fantasy series you might want to try:

Nita...I've been wanting to try the Kate Daniel series, but I prefer romance UF. Everything I have read makes me think Magic Bites isn't much of a romance. I loved the other books you listed so was wondering about this one....

Does anyone else who has read this series have any input on this? Thanks!

message 19: by Gaynell (new)

Gaynell (gaynellk) | 20 comments It does have romance; but like most UF romance, it is slow to develop. Curran is a great hero though.

message 20: by Nita (new)

Nita (gillnit) | 697 comments Katie - I agree with Gaynell; Curran is a great hero. The romance is super slow to develop over the four books out now, but so worth the read. The interactions between Kate and Curran are great. And Kate taking it very slowly makes sense the way her character was raised. I would definitely give the series a shot.

message 21: by Ashley (last edited Mar 02, 2011 07:24AM) (new)

Ashley Willis (ashleylynnwillis) | 22 comments Great feedback Nita! I'm gonna take a look at the series, too. I actually like it when a relationship grows slowly. It usually seems more organic that way as opposed to just hot lust that can't be bridled. LOL. I love romance, but I favor the soft and slow development of relationships. Maybe that's why UF is my favorite genre.

message 22: by Judy V (new)

Judy V (faefreak) | 88 comments The Kate Daniels series takes a little to get going. It was one of my first Paranormal/UF books that I read, after one of my favorites,The Aishling Gray series by Katie MacAlister. But once it got going I just could not get enough of Kate and Curran. Their relationship is at times painful (because they both fight it) and then it's rip roarin' funny. All you can do is hang on for the ride. It is now one of my top 5 faves! Try it, you won't be disappointed

message 23: by Scarlet (new)

Scarlet (extraordinarygirl86) | 81 comments Georgina Kincaid series by Richelle Mead and Chicagoland Vampires by Chloe Neill.

message 24: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 374 comments Dead Witch Walking This series is fabulous; if you like really strong female characters you'll love this one. Check it out!!!

message 25: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Wright (sjwrightauthor) | 9 comments I love Charlain Harris's books. I'm addicted to the books and the TV series. Can't wait for Dead Reckoning to be released and the start of Season 4 of True Blood. I am crazy about Eric.

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: (vanesmate) What about Demonica?? It's about Demons but it's an awesome series with hot as hell Demon brothers working in a hospital!!

Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione Desire Unchained (Demonica, #2) by Larissa Ione Passion Unleashed (Demonica, #3) by Larissa Ione Ecstasy Unveiled (Demonica, #4) by Larissa Ione Sin Undone (Demonica, #5) by Larissa Ione

message 27: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Willis (ashleylynnwillis) | 22 comments Thanks for all these great suggestions! I'm going to start sorting through them over the next few weeks and put the most promising ones on my to-read list. Can’t wait to dive into them.

message 28: by Joyce (last edited Mar 13, 2011 02:11PM) (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 80 comments If you are looking for something that has some humor to it try MaryJanice Davidson's Undead series.

I'm in the process of rereading these.

Undead and Unwed
Undead and Unemployed
Undead and Unappreciated
Undead and Unreturnable
Undead and Unpopular
Undead and Uneasy
Undead and Unworthy
Undead and Unwelcome
Undead and Unfinished
Undead and Undermined

message 29: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Willis (ashleylynnwillis) | 22 comments Okay, just the titles of those sound funny. I'll check them out. Thanks for the recommendation!