Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > Question #44: More Bluntly Put...

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
What motivates you to participate in this challenge, or, as your non-reading family and friends might more bluntly ask, "How come you read so much?"

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments I have always been obsessed with reading. Even though I have a variety of interests, reading is the ultimate pleasure for me. I am now retired, and can spend many more hours a day with books. I am totally happy!

Rose

message 3: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Why the challenge? Last year it was to see if I could - and boy did I seriously underestimate my volume. People remark on my reading, but it just seemed normal to me. To come to the end of the year & find out just how much I comsume... it's like a food journal: shocking & a little awe inspiring.

This year it's because I had fun interacting with the rest of the group last year, and it was a great source for new reading material.

Why do I read so much? Because I can't afford to travel, I'm not athletically inclined, I'll do anything to avoid housework & I just love the places a good book can take you emotionally, intellectually, spiritually.

message 4: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (jb_slasher) I love books and movies. But it's easier to watch a movie, even if it is three hours long, than read a 600-page book on pure faith that it will be worth it. So I want to at least try to balance out both of my hobbies. I also want to up my goal every year to motivate myself to pick up a book instead of watching a movie.

message 5: by Greer (new)

Greer | 28 comments To make reading more of a priority - I work long hours, and it's far too easy to waste my precious downtime vegging. And also I like making lists...

message 6: by Gail (new)

Gail (tilton) I belong to a family of readers so it's just natural to always have a book at hand. This said, I sometimes get into a slump and watch too much TV instead of reading. I'm hoping the challenge will keep me motivated. I have so many books on my to-read list and I'll probably pick up more ideas here. I'm 57 and, as they say, "so many books, so little time".

I started a local book group which I just LOVE almost 4 years ago and have recently joined a second one at the local library. I tend to read mysteries and thrillers when left to my own devices, so I enjoy getting ideas from others of books I might not pick up on my own. Like Donna, I can't afford to travel and I'm avoiding housework.

message 7: by Angelica (new)

Angelica I love reading. I always have and always will. I love getting new books and being able to indulge in them at any time- between classes, on the bus, before I go to sleep. Plus, I've been writing forever too and I'm always looking for new inspiration. Lately I've been spending a bit too much time online instead of with books, but I'm trying to correct that.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily I'm another one who tries to balance her two entertainment loves (books and movies), but in the past few years I've been trending more towards movies (okay, and TV) and away from books. I always have a book going, but I don't get through them as fast as I used to. (Although lately I've failed on both fronts due to grad school, but that will be finished in a few months). So I joined this group to try and up the reading count through a little outside motivation, as well as to get some new ideas on books to read.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments And also I like making lists..."

Yeah, that too!

message 10: by NATUI (new)

NATUI | 63 comments For me, becoming a parent really put in a crimp in my reading time. This was a way of making sure I was returning to my love of reading books. I'm so glad I joined!!

message 11: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (directorsherry) | 434 comments Kate wrote: "I'm another one who tries to balance her two entertainment loves (books and movies), but in the past few years I've been trending more towards movies (okay, and TV) and away from books. I always ha..."

I've now been with this for about nine months. It helped me to up my reading. I've really enjoyed it!

message 12: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
Okay, at risk of being totally blasted here, why is reading a better occupation than watching TV or movies? Anyone care to weigh in on the debate on the side of video entertainment?

(Remember, this is my third year participating in this challenge.)

message 13: by Rose (new)

Rose (obsessedreader9) | 215 comments To me, reading is a more worthwhile pursuit than watching movies/TV because one's intelligence is more deeply involved. With movies and TV, other people have worked to develop innumerable aspects of stories. With reading, each reader needs to supply at least a rough idea of the setting and the way the characters look/speak/behave. A reader's brain is more actively stimulated, which is usually a healthy activity.

Rose

message 14: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1350 comments Another part of the issue is what you watch. Sure there's some pretty bad reading material out there, but good TV is getting harder to come by. Given my druthers between a mediocre book and mediocre TV? The book. Movies? Well that's another fish, cause I do love movies.

message 15: by Emily (new)

Emily Faye wrote: "Okay, at risk of being totally blasted here, why is reading a better occupation than watching TV or movies? Anyone care to weigh in on the debate on the side of video entertainment?

(Remember, th..."

I don't think it necessarily is. If you're looking at the technicality of which works your brain more, reading does. But I don't think that reading is always better than watching a movie. As I mentioned in my post, I love both and tend to split my free time between the two. I think as long as you're reading quality books and watching quality movies/TV, then both are perfectly fine. And as long as you're enjoying yourself, who's to say which is better for you personally?

message 16: by Sooz (new)

Sooz i remember reading a few years ago that while watching t.v. our brain waves are in 'receptive' mode. we are basically sponges soaking up what is in front of us -and- as i remember, it didn't matter whether it was educational or crap. if we are just sitting watching without question or debate we are sponges. while reading our brain waves are completely diffrent. we have to be engaged otherwise we'd just sit and staring at words that had no meaning.

that said - i am very happy it is not an either / or situations and i can enjoy both.

message 17: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 345 comments I read so much because as a teen there is so much drama surrounding me with school and family issues that I read to get away from it all.

As for the movie issue, I think watching a good movie/tv show is wonderful.