Doctor Who: The Library of Carsus discussion

The Panopticon (People of Who) > Nicholas Courtney Dies

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 64 comments Veteran Dr. Who supporting actor Nicholas Courtney has died at the age of 81.

He appeared opposite several of the Doctors; he started as Captain Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart in "Web of Fear" oppostie Pat Troughton, the second Doctor.

He was promotoed to Brigadier with the first Jon Pertwee story, "Spearhead from Space" and heaed UNIT during the seasons of the Third and Fourth Doctor.

He appeared in other British TV, of course. See BBC News web page--Entertainment for more details.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 180 comments :( Sad news. Before the series hiatus he was the only actor who had appeared with all 7 (at the time) doctors. He is an icon of the Classic DW.

message 3: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 75 comments One of my very favorite episodes is "Mawdrin Undead", in which there are 2 Lethbridge-Stewarts, and their meeting is a big bang. The whole episode is creepy, what with the zombies shuffling around and all...Peter Jamison being my favorite Doctor.
I'm truly saddened that he is gone, but will continue to enjoy re-watching my favorite episodes that he is in, as a tribute to him. RIP, Nick. You will be missed.

message 4: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 64 comments My favorite Doctor is the Third Doctor, Jon Pertwee. So I saw a great deal of Nicolas Courtney's fine work as he was a regular in those seasons.

My personal favorite is "Inferno" , a parralell world story where he got to play the Brigadier and the evil Brigade Leader. If by chance you have not seen it, Fiona, it is a great story in itself and Nicholas Courtney preformance is really good in it.

message 5: by MJ (new)

MJ | 9 comments I was saddened to hear of his death. I love the Brig. He was a wonderful chap!

If anybody listens to the Big Finish audios, Mr. Courtney also did several of those.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 180 comments Fiona, It's Peter Davison not Jamison, but we know who you meant.

Lethbridge Stewart will always be one of my favorite "Companions" (even though he technically didn't travel with the Doctor, I think he was only in the TARDIS a couple of times). You could tell when things got too weird and complicated for the Brigadier he would just "nod and smile" eventually things would get sorted out.

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona McGier | 75 comments Yes, I just noticed that now... I really have to stop staying up so late at night to process my e-mails!

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1232 comments He was a great character, a great actor and always seemed like a really nice guy.

Very sad to hear about his death, but thought it was nice that his last screen credit was as the Brig in the 'Sarah Jane adventures'.