BGGWW Books discussion

Book Discussion > The Wise Man's Fear Discussion -- First Impressions

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (nyriv) | 65 comments Mod
Comment here on the book. Someone will need to split this out in sections, as I'm not going to read this as soon as the early adopters.

message 2: by Blue (new)

Blue (statsig) | 57 comments Mod
SO EXCITED. I'll probably avoid this thread for awhile, though, because I am SPOILER PARANOID.

message 3: by Blue (new)

I finished WMF last night. You can read my review for my fuller spoiler-free thoughts. Basically, it's really really good though I didn't like it quite as much as Name of the Wind.

Still, very sad I'm finished. I hate finishing a good book.

message 4: by Marco (new)

Marco Cano (marcocanov) | 1 comments The book is very well written but I just did not feel anything happened.

The main mystery of the story, the Chandrian and the Amyr barely progresses at all. He sees one of them, he learns their names and thats about it. Besides not finding anything on them at all.

Then, Kvothe is supposed to be this legend but it seems that all of his adventures just happen to be told as stories that get blown out of proportion. I feel that after training with the Adem, after being a powerful arcanist, I would think he would be able to handle two thugs from beating him at his inn. I guess Im holding my breath for the third book. Hopefully something legendary will happen.

I was left with this feeling: In order to close the story he has to "probably" find the Amyr, join them, find the Chandrian, fight them, meet Bast at some point, maybe finally "remember" the name of the wind, know the names of more things. It seems to much to fit in one final book.

Does anyone else feel this way?

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara (miraria) | 20 comments Mod
I feel the same way you did marco. I felt like book two was book one take two-lets try a different location. I liked it, don't get me wrong, but I really felt the story hardly moved and that there is now WAY too much to fit into a third book.

The thing is that i still liked it. but I liked it as an independent story and don't feel at this point that it did much for the trilogy.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan Story | 14 comments Mod
Hm, see I felt that way at first but after listening to some interviews with Rothfuss, I think he's just telling a much smaller story that I initially thought, so he doesn't have to fit as much in the trilogy as I expected.

message 7: by Blue (new)

Megan wrote: "Hm, see I felt that way at first but after listening to some interviews with Rothfuss, I think he's just telling a much smaller story that I initially thought, so he doesn't have to fit as much in ..."

But he's going to write another trilogy about the same universe, right? RIGHT? OH GOD RIGHT?!?

message 8: by Sara (new)

Sara (miraria) | 20 comments Mod
hmmm, that would actually be pretty disapointing. there is a lot of buildup and things that point to a pretty grand world affecting story. and then, it's not? we'll see. I am not going to judge book three before I read it. :)

message 9: by Megan (last edited Nov 06, 2011 12:34PM) (new)

Megan Story | 14 comments Mod
Dr. Ben wrote: "But he's going to write another trilogy about the same universe, right? RIGHT? OH GOD RIGHT?!? "

I think he's said that he's open to writing more stories set in the same world, but I don't know if there's a firm plan beyond that.

message 10: by Blue (new)

Megan wrote: "Dr. Ben wrote: "But he's going to write another trilogy about the same universe, right? RIGHT? OH GOD RIGHT?!? "

I think he's said that he's open to writing more stories set in the same world, but..."

Evidently he's decided to do NaNo this year and it's about Kvothe, too. Maybe he can get all his "Kvothe has sex with EVERYONE" urges out there and leave more room in the third book for everything else ;)