What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > YA Fiction Sci-Fi kids with superpowers [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (last edited Feb 24, 2011 09:56PM) (new)

David Li | 4 comments This book series I read back either back in the late 90s or very early 2000s had each book focused on a specific student, either high school or middle school, who realized they had some kind of power, such as telepathy, superhuman regeneration, clairvoyance, time travel? and so on. They eventually unite together to fight against some kind of enemy...It's a rather generic series, looking back on it.

At one point the antagonists somehow gain the voice of one of the main characters, either through mind control or shapeshifting or something along those lines, and calls another main character. The antagonist said "rendezvous" at one point in this conversation.

In another book, the main character, a female with superhuman regeneration, gets cut in half before she realizes she has her power. Half of her body regenerates but the other half is left dead in the the watery area where she was cut, perhaps a swamp?

That's all I can remember, unfortunately.
Any help would be great!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (katespofford) | 254 comments Could this be the Dark Visions trilogy by L.J. Smith? Looking at the summaries on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Vis...) the powers sound similar. These are students with psychic powers sent to a special school and they have to fight against the Dark Powers.

message 3: by David (new)

David Li | 4 comments Hmmm...that seems like an interesting series, but unfortunately, I don't think that was it. The problem I've been running into is that there are so many young adult series involving teenagers with psychic powers. It's difficult to filter through them all and find the one I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help!

message 4: by Molly (new)

Molly Woodbury no is it by kristina applegate? i don't remember the title of the series but this sounds super familiar

message 5: by Andre (last edited Mar 31, 2011 08:38PM) (new)

Andre (telyni) | 13 comments Margaret wrote: "no is it by kristina applegate? i don't remember the title of the series but this sounds super familiar"

Are you talking about the Animorphs books by K.A. Applegate? Those are pretty different, with shapeshifting teens who can talk telepathically while transformed. Aided by good aliens (and given their powers by one), they're fighting evil aliens trying to take over the world by infiltrating human brains.

Sorry, no idea about the original inquiry though.

message 6: by David (new)

David Li | 4 comments You know, I'd never thought about it, but this does sound pretty similar to the Animorph series. There's the one Rachel book, for example, when she morphs into a starfish and gets cut in half. But this is a different series, unfortunately. Animorphs was most excellent though. One of my favorite childhood series.

message 7: by Kcblake (new)

Kcblake | 1 comments I believe you are talking about the Mindwarp series by Chris Archer. I just spent about 2 hours online trying to figure out the name of this series (sadly) before I came upon your question. I hope this is what you were looking for.

message 8: by David (new)

David Li | 4 comments Yes, that's it! Thank you! Now I can finally finish the series.