Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Movies of the Month > All-Star Superman

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cesare (new)

Cesare (spiritscar) | 72 comments All Star Superman is a newly released direct to DVD animated Superman film. It is based on a graphic novel written by Grant Morrison and illustrated by Frank Quitely. Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most of you have probably never heard of Grant Morrison. He is one of the great writers of our time, and of the most fascinating minds. Morrison's All Star Superman has been called the definitive Superman story of the modern era.

The story starts out with a space mission gone awry. Superman must save the crew of a manned mission to the sun. In the course of this, Superman's cells are oversaturated with solar radiation, leaving his condition terminal.
Superman is dying.
It turns out the mission was sabotaged by Lex Luthor as part of an elaborate ploy to destroy Superman once and for all. And now Superman must come to terms that his life will soon be over.

The love story between Superman and Lois Lane in this film is particularly moving. It is handled very eloquently.

It has been said by some that Superman is an uninteresting character, because he's simply too powerful, there are no real challenges for him.
Grant Morrison totally rejects that line of thought and fully embraces the awe inspiring grandeur of who Superman is. He maintains Superman as a compelling character because despite having the powers of a god, he is still a man, who can have his heart broken, who grieves and mourns the death of his father, who is forever the outsider on a planet not his own, yet he must call home.

If you're someone who's never picked up a comic book in your life, and knows Superman primarily through the films and various TV incarnations, You will see a Superman here unlike any you have ever experienced. This is the man of steel at his most fantastic, most mythic, most epic.

Wired Magazine's web site reviewed this film and called it the smartest and most ambitious Superman film ever made. I wholeheartedly agree with that sentiment.
Anyone who is a fan of science fiction, adventure, and mythologies must see this film.

All Star Superman is just out on DVD and is available on NetFlix. I'd be very curious to hear non-comic book readers take on this film. It is very faithful to the graphic novel.

Here is a link for the trailer of the film on YouYube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zPv6D...

All Star Superman: Volume 01

message 2: by Baxter (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 589 comments Hmm, thanks for mention that. DC has been releasing some great animated movies lately. As for Morrison, sometimes I think his stuff is fantastic, other times I think it's just alright. But, if it's considered one of the better Superman stories, I'm sure it's an example of him nailing it. Anyway, I'll be checking the movie out pretty soon.

message 3: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments Thanks for this, Cesar. I read some of the series and liked it a lot. I'll check out the DVD.

message 4: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) grant morrison is a genius.

message 5: by Cesare (new)

Cesare (spiritscar) | 72 comments Grant Morrison's All Star Superman story will give you a newfound appreciation for the character, everything he represents in our culture, and in our selves.

message 6: by mark (new)

mark monday (happy-end-of-the-world) i've read it and own the comics; the miniseries is a wonderful accomplishment and is up there with his best. as a regular comic reader, i follow his career closely.

message 7: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10615 comments i hope to check this out soon - is it in the theaters now?

message 8: by Cesare (new)

Cesare (spiritscar) | 72 comments Phillip wrote: "i hope to check this out soon - is it in the theaters now?"

This is a direct to DVD release.
It's available on Netflix now.

message 9: by Phillip (last edited Feb 27, 2011 10:20PM) (new)

Phillip | 10615 comments i'll check it out - that animated batman flick that baxter recommended recently was cool.

message 10: by Cesare (new)

Cesare (spiritscar) | 72 comments Phillip wrote: "i'll check it out - that animated batman flick that baxter recommended recently was cool."

Look forward to hearing your take on it.
In a lot of cases these animated features are superior to the live action endeavors.

message 11: by Cesare (new)

Cesare (spiritscar) | 72 comments So has anyone else seen this film yet? Yearning to discuss it in ore depth.

message 12: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments Cesar, I'm putting this at the top of my queue, so I'll post when I see it. Looking forward to it.