♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Debates > Hardcover , Paperback or Kindle?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 178 (178 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Jude, The First One :) (last edited Mar 18, 2011 02:07PM) (new)

Jude (judehnd) | 565 comments Mod
Hardcover , Paperback or Kindle?

and Why :)

message 2: by Jude, The First One :) (new)

Honestly, I like Hardcovers more, they never end up with the damage that a paperback can have... and I don't like reading on a Kindle, like with advance book copies? they USUALLY ALWAYS come as an electronic read... I prefer the real deal....

message 3: by Rachel Alice (new)

Rachel Alice | 147 comments As a reading experience, I far prefer the feel of a good thick hardback in my hands, but I don't have a local library, and the cost of hardbacks is mounting. In Canada, it used to be that almost every hardback was $20, but now the average is about $23 (considering that the Canadian dollar is about par with the American most of the time, we're ridiculously charged for books here).

Paperbacks are alright, and I have honed the skill to read them over and over again with them still looking like they just came from the store, but other people (cough! mothers) don't take as good care of them.

I don't have a kindle reader, but I have their app on my iTouch, and I will buy ebooks if the price outweighs the advantages of a dead tree book.

message 4: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Paperback!

message 5: by Ngozi (new)

Ngozi (ngyoza) Paperback- I dunno why but hardcovers are never my first choice if a paperback is around, despite how easily they're damaged. And kindles? . . . eh.

message 6: by Jude, The First One :) (new)

message 7: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) we dont have kindle here

message 8: by Jude, The First One :) (new)

Well, the equivalent would be like reading in your laptop.... an e-book really... and I ain't like 'em much :P

message 9: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Jude wrote: "Well, the equivalent would be like reading in your laptop.... an e-book really... and I ain't like 'em much :P"

Ohhh lol I just read E-books on the computer! I would like an e-reader but I like my books in paperback/book form.

message 10: by Jude, The First One :) (new)

Same here.... reading on the computer it just.... ain't the same.... definitely better the real deal ^^

message 11: by Rachel Alice (new)

Rachel Alice | 147 comments Besides, we can't have brick and mortar stores going out of business. Where would we browse?

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) I enjoy paperbacks myself, or an ebook

Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell (tjchocolate) | 8 comments paperback, boot my sister has a kindle and i like that!

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin even though I have a Kindle, I still prefer paperback. I love when the ones that I have read over and over start falling apart because it is a sign that they are well loved.

message 15: by Xia (new)

Xia (xiat) I prefer paperbacks cause they are cheaper, but I like hardcovers too cause they don't damage easily. As for E-books I'm not really a big fan though I do have one.

message 16: by Lily (new)

Lily | 68 comments I like the natural feel when I pick up a paperback. Hardcovers are good, because they last longer, but I usually go for the paperback. I don't know if it's a habit or... maybe I'm just picky... hmmm.

message 17: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) I like Paperbacks because I find them easier to read.

message 18: by Jude, The First One :) (new)

Erin wrote: "even though I have a Kindle, I still prefer paperback. I love when the ones that I have read over..."

LOVE the way you think! :D

though I treat mine like diamonds and have them all looking brand new xD!!

I'll stat following your philosophy ^^

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I like parperback because it's cheaper and I like the feel of turning pages (even though that seems like a wierd reason).

message 20: by Jude, The First One :) (new)

Lauren wrote: "I like parperback because it's cheaper and I like..."

^^ It ain't weird, they do feel different... less stiff and more soft I think.... or maybe I'm just nuts xD

message 21: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Hardback is awkward to read

message 22: by Maylee (new)

Maylee (mayleejo) | 12 comments I like hard covers they seem more durable and make you feel like there gonna last forever lol

message 23: by Jude, The First One :) (last edited Feb 26, 2011 07:52PM) (new)

I had 80 dollars... and a list of To-Buy books.... they where all only available in Hardcover so I came out of the store with 4 Books and zero money.... I think I now hate Hardcovers..... xD!

message 24: by Kara (new)

Kara (kara_writes) Jude wrote: "I had 80 dollars... and a list of To-Buy books.... they where all only available in Hardcover so I came out of the store with 4 Books and zero money.... I think I now hate Hardcovers..... xD!"

aww lol. I still prefer hardcovers, paperbacks get bent- and I hate that :(

message 25: by Kara (new)

Kara (kara_writes) oh, and with kindles and stuff... arrghh, there not really for me, I like to have the book in front of me :)

message 26: by brittany (new)

brittany (cirilla) Kara wrote: "oh, and with kindles and stuff... arrghh, there not really for me, I like to have the book in front of me :)"

Me too !

message 27: by Zee (last edited Feb 27, 2011 01:39AM) (new)

Zee hardcover of course
but sometimes i get paperbacks....and i totally hate them especially when i have a little brother to damage them:D

message 28: by Zee (new)

Zee Kara wrote: "Jude wrote: "I had 80 dollars... and a list of To-Buy books.... they where all only available in Hardcover so I came out of the store with 4 Books and zero money.... I think I now hate Hardcovers....."

i can't agree more=D

message 29: by Johanness (new)

Johanness (cookiesandcute) | 46 comments Hardcover - I love it, but so expensive T^T
Paperback - I love it as well, but it tends to get damaged easily (my poor Brisngr it looks like i brought it to war with me.)

Kindle? - Didn't know what it was till I googled it just then; NO, I prefer holding the books in my hand.

message 30: by Brandee (new)

Brandee | 9 comments Paper backs...Unless they are new the Hard back is ok but I love books...

message 31: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 100 comments I like paper backs because they are less expensive and if you can carry them every where with it them being too heavy (and I walk home with my fat backpack so I need that)

message 32: by Jude, The First One :) (new)

Ⓛeah wrote: "I like paper backs because they are less expensive and..."

Fat backpack.... can TOTALLY relate.... I'm going to suffer A LOT when I'm.... I'd say 60, but at this rate, its gonna be when I'm 25... xD

message 33: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 100 comments Haha same here maybe we can call it fat backpack syndrome It is very painful in the morning but it is worth it to carry many books =>

message 34: by Jude, The First One :) (new)

☼Ⓛeah☼ wrote: "Haha same here maybe we can call it fat backpack syndrome It is very painful in the morning but it is worth it to carry many books =>"

In my school we don't have lockers.... I carry the Dang thing ALL day....

message 35: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 100 comments Ow that is such a pain. At my school we have super skinny lockers that we can't fit anything in and only my grade is not allowed to carry backpacks they hate every kid in my class case we have the teenage delinquents

message 36: by Jude, The First One :) (new)

I hate robbers.... well, seriously doubt anyone likes them xD

message 37: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 100 comments Yeah I would they:P but they always have fights and break each others noses and have knives at least 3 people are always suspended

message 38: by Ⓛeah (new)

Ⓛeah ✿εїз✾ (goodreadscomLeah13) | 100 comments I like actual books the e-book stuff just doesn't feel right to me

message 39: by Zee (new)

Zee me 2:)

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaess) | 395 comments Either hardbacks or ebooks. With hardbacks, I know I don't have to worry about bending the spine. I'm really careful with my paperbacks which makes it REALLY hard to read. Reading between a 4cm gap isn't easy, you know...
Ebooks are great too. I get really tired holding a book open, especially late at night. It's just much easier on a laptop. Plus, i've been reading fanfiction for years now so I am very used to reading off the screen.

message 41: by Alex (new)

Alex hardback. the covers are prettier and the book is more durable than a paperback. with a paperback, if you bend the book a little, the cover bends permanently.

message 42: by Arizel紫 (new)

Arizel紫 (Arizel) | 21 comments Paperbacks. Their lighter. Cheaper!

message 43: by Katniss (new)

Katniss (Purplemargay) Kindles save the planet, fit in a purse/backpack/any other bag like container, and I get to choose the longest edition for my reading logs! Also, they can hold a ton of books, and you can buy new books from anywhere that you have access to wi-fi. just convenient.

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaess) | 395 comments Reading off a screen IS very convenient but I just like having the actual book. Sometimes i'll buy a novel to put on my shelf but i'll never actually read from it because i'm reading it in ebook form LOL.

♫♫☺Allie☺♫♫ (alliwicious) | 428 comments I like paperbacks.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Ng Paperbacks...I have a fascination with cracking spines :S

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaess) | 395 comments Cracking spines annoy the heck out of me. I'll be so devastated if there's even a faint little line LOL

message 48: by Holly (new)

Holly  (in-interest) Lisa wrote: "Cracking spines annoy the heck out of me.

The same with me :s I do think it is nearly impossible to prevent that tough. I'm more of an e-book type person but I do have many paperbacks.

message 49: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaess) | 395 comments I usually read off screens but I will get the book in print though, just because ._.

message 50: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisaess) | 395 comments *nods* Paperbacks are so crease-able LOL.

« previous 1 3 4