Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Mystery and Suspense > Sherlock Holmes

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aurora (new)

Aurora (justaurora) | 2 comments It was very funny! LOL I love this movie, and if you like mysteries, and you haven't seen it, rent it right now.

message 2: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 325 comments I liked it a lot, too. Most people forget that Holmes as written by Conan-Doyle was quite athletic and physically fit. The fight sequences, especially the way he thought them out in his head before executing them, worked wonderfully.

message 3: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10700 comments apparently robert downey junior has just finished shooting the sequel. i didn't like the first one so much - well, i liked it up until the last 30 minutes ... then it got way overblown and over the top for my tastes.

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve | 957 comments Agreed, Phillip. It's not a horrid picture—I'll watch Downey Jr. in most anything—but not my cup of tea.

message 5: by Mary JL (new)

Mary JL (maryjl) | 16 comments Actually, my favorite bit of the Sherlock Holmes movie was not Robert Downey, Jr. but Jude Law. I like the fact that Watson was presented as an able assistant to Holmes. Dr. Watson was NOT an idiot and was often portrayed that way.

Sure, Dr. Watson was not as smart as Sherlock Holmes, but--who was?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved the movie! It was really funny and I love the combo of Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law. I'm very excited to see the next film as I watch the first one so much.

message 7: by Elena (new)

Elena I love Robert Downey Jr and the film was cleverly made can't wait for the next movie:)

message 8: by Mia (new)

Mia (skyllianfive) I just finished watching this movie last night. I personally loved it. I though Robert Downey Jr. did a fantastic job as Sherlock Holmes. Jude Law was also really good as Watson. I loved their portrayal of Watson in this film. For once, he wasn't portrayed as a complete and utter idiot.

message 9: by lexa (new)

lexa (storyorc) To me, the original stories are insurmountable, and this reincarnation was a lot more action-y than them, but that's what creative licence is, and I for one love the product! I think RDJ makes an excellent Holmes (interesting to see him bring out the great detective's childish side) while I couldn't agree more with the comments about Jude Law's Watson; so relieving to see him as his proper, competent, useful self (Holmes would hardly partner himself with a fool)...not to mention with a wonderful face and voice. =]

message 10: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 141 comments Alex wrote: "To me, the original stories are insurmountable, and this reincarnation was a lot more action-y than them, but that's what creative licence is, and I for one love the product! I think RDJ makes an e..."

Agreed. The movie was not really Sherlock Holmes, but I still found it a fun action/thriller.

message 11: by George (new)

George | 951 comments well, the director said in one interview that he intended to do something more like Bond with it. so, it uses the characters' names and is vaguely inspired by the original books, or more likely the movies, but it's not really Sherlock Homes. I rather like the recent British TV series that brings the two into the 21st century. In the beginning Watson has just returned from Afghanistan where he served as an army surgeon, which interestingly enough is just what Watson did in the original in the 19th century.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I really liked the first Sherlock Holmes. I thought it was funny and pretty good. I'm looking forward to the second one, but i'm not sure im going to go to theatres to see it.

message 13: by QuotetheRaven (new)

QuotetheRaven I loved this movie I have watched it so many times. Robert Downey Jr. really pulled off Holmes. I love the way the movie looked old (like it was actually filmed at that time and place) but also was in some way new. The explosions looked great (fights too) It was really eye catching.

message 14: by Ampa (new)

Ampa (maniacmidget) After watching Guy Richie's Sherlock Holmes I jumped right into the stories. My dad has the Sherlock Holmes books in two convenient volumes. I have to say that Mr. Richie was pretty spot on as far as Holmes' cleverness, athletic ability and humor. Jude Law's Watson was played to the T, and that mustache was none to be reckoned with!

I am definitely looking forward to the sequel and eager to see who will be playing Moriarty.

message 15: by د. موضي (new)

د. موضي النشمي | 2 comments Don't miss it

message 16: by Haven Angel (new)

Haven Angel i saw the i thnk its 2010 ten one im not really sure what its called!
any ways..
it was awsome i was never into sherlock homes but ever since ive watched it i have !! i hope teir coming out with a sequil

message 17: by Courtney (last edited Apr 30, 2011 03:11PM) (new)

Courtney | 10 comments Sherlock Holmes is amazing! I love this movie. I think Robert Downey Jr. is the perfect match for Holmes...and Jude Law is an awesome Dr. Watson. ;) Their dialogue back and forth is hilarious! I never get tired of this movie...it has great action, but at the same time, it's fast-paced and keeps you on your toes! And I like how everything is tied together at the end. And the soundtrack is amazing!

message 18: by Baxter (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 589 comments I don't know why, but I could not get engaged with this movie. Like, at all. It all felt very...empty to me, which was unexpected. Still, it had a few parts I enjoyed well enough, and I HAVE to see the sequel, if only because of Moriarty.

message 19: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 10 comments Yeah, they left it off at a cliff hanger...when does the sequel come out? December?

message 20: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess 16 December in USA. 5 January in Australia.
I loved the on-screen chemistry between Downey Jnr. and Law. That alone was a highlight.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 11 comments I LOVED it. I really liked the way it kept me guessing and at the very end explained everything. I can't wait to see the next one in December.